SaltCritters.com

Seabass's In-wall 100 Gallon

seabass

Be prepared for some changes.  First off, I've decided to dose Vibrant.  You can follow the discussion here, in the Product Reviews forum: 

From time to time, I'll also try to post some updates in this thread too.

Next, some people may not like this, but I plan to sell my breeding pair of cardinals.  I can't let the babies die, so I raise them; however, it gets to be a lot of time (which I'm not really rewarded for).  Anyways, it will simplify my life some.  I'll transfer one of their (now mature) offspring to this tank, to replace them.

Also, say goodbye to the macroalgae (at least for now).  Obviously, Vibrant may work against my decorative algae too, so I'm transferring it to another tank (hopefully to save it).

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Turns out my T5HO bulbs are well over two years old; so I replaced the T5HO bulbs today with the following:

• Giesemann Powerchrome Actinic Blue
  • Giesemann Powerchrome Actinic Blue
  • Giesemann Powerchrome Aquablue Coral
  • ATI Aquablue Special

I purchased the Giesemann bulbs when Drs. Foster & Smith went out of business.

• Like 1

I took some photos today.

100 Gallon:

103020a.jpg  103020b.jpg

My clownfish have still been breeding roughly every 10 days.

103020d.jpg  103020c.jpg

103020e.jpg  103020f.jpg

You can see that the red grape currently still seems basically unaffected.

103020h.jpg  103020n.jpg

The sand bed is getting sparse in areas.

103020g.jpg

• Like 2
  • Wow 1

Talk about a dramatic change! I liked all the Caulerpa, but it's pretty cool being able to see the aquascape and all. I think it's pretty crazy that there were actually a bunch of corals surviving under all that! 😁

Did you discard all the macroalgae that you removed, or just move it to a different system?

• Haha 1
25 minutes ago, billygoat said:

Did you discard all the macroalgae that you removed, or just move it to a different system?

I moved it to another system.  But then I needed another tank for more cardinalfish babies, so I ended up discarding the macro (as nursery tanks get pretty dirty and you can't really light them enough to grow macro without creating a disaster of unwanted nasties).

• Like 2
30 minutes ago, billygoat said:

I liked all the Caulerpa, but it's pretty cool being able to see the aquascape and all. I think it's pretty crazy that there were actually a bunch of corals surviving under all that!

The macro is really nice when you keep up with it.  I just let it go for too long.  Ultimately, I want this to be a reef tank.  Here are some more corals which I've been keeping in another tank, but have been destined for this tank all along:

103020l.jpg

Minus all the RFA babies, of course.

• Like 4

Levels:

100 Gallon 11/01/20 10/23/20 10/17/20 10/12/20 10/03/20
Alkalinity: 11.0 dKH 11.8 dKH 12.3 dKH 12.5 dKH 13.1 dKH
Phosphorus: 13 ppb 17 ppb 23 ppb 17 ppb 3 ppb
Nitrate: 2.5 ppm 1.0 ppm 1.0 ppm 0.2 ppm 0.0 ppm

* 0.04 ppm phosphate

57 minutes ago, seabass said:

Hi Dawn, thanks for checking in.  This tank is going through an algae purge at the moment.  Hopefully it will look better soon.

I like it.  When I have some down time I will read through your thread for tank history.  I look forward to it.

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

I got stung by one of my mini carpet anemones today.  I always considered the stickiness a sting; but I was surprised that it actually hurt.

No, I didn't pee on it. :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Wow 1
2 hours ago, seabass said:

I got stung by one of my mini carpet anemones today.  I always considered the stickiness a sting;

Ek! I know that stickiness feeling, and I hate it! I moved my elegance coral to a new spot the other day and grabbed it when it was open. Immediately felt a ton of tentacles holding onto my hand. The feeling was so strange. I will never do that again!

Yours actually hurt? 

• Like 2
3 hours ago, seabass said:

I got stung by one of my mini carpet anemones today.  I always considered the stickiness a sting; but I was surprised that it actually hurt.

What a coincidence: I also got stung at work today, in my case by a Heteractis anemone! 😂 It left some raised welts on my hand and itches quite a bit, but I think carpet 'nems are considerably more painful.

How's the tank doing after the algae treatments? Any sign of growth in those newly-exposed coral frags?

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Elizabeth94 said:

Yours actually hurt? 

It wasn't terrible, but yes, it hurt a bit.  Definitely surprised me.  I did spray a vinegar solution on it afterwards; but I'm not really sure if that helped or not.  No welts, so I think billygoat got hit harder.

2 hours ago, billygoat said:

How's the tank doing after the algae treatments? Any sign of growth in those newly-exposed coral frags?

The algae treatments are ongoing; although the rock is almost completely clear of algae now.  There are a few spots that I'm still waiting to go away.  I think the coral appreciates the alkalinity being more stable.  The coralline has definitely taken off, it's even becoming a little inconvenient.

Most of the coral has reacted well to the changes.  Although my montipora undata is stressed, and my montipora setosa is looking a little pale.  The monti caps are doing pretty good though.  I can't wait to start dosing loads of phyto into this tank again.

I've been doing better keeping the Vibrant thread updated.  I'll post some new updates here soon.  It's kind of weird looking without a sand bed.  The bottom seems like a combo of cyano and coralline.  That reminds me, it's way past time to add back my MP10 to improve flow.

• Like 4
  • 3 months later...

I'm in the process of cleaning out the tank.

032021a.jpg

Calcium deposits from the heater in the sump.

032021b.jpg

Everything fits pretty well into this 40 breeder.

032021c.jpg

• Like 4
  • 2 weeks later...