Innovative Marine Aquariums

Seabass's In-wall 100 Gallon

seabass

Thanks, I'm a rookie, so I'm realistic in thinking I'll lose many (or most, if not all) of them.  However, I'll try my best to keep them alive.

• Like 1
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
2 minutes ago, seabass said:

Thanks, I'm a rookie, so I'm realistic in thinking I'll lose many (or most, if not all) of them.  However, I'll try my best to keep them alive.

I had one cichlid one time give birth and none of the babies made it. I didn't know what to do cause it happened so fast. I had nothing to hold them in and I didn't know what to feed them cause they were so small. That was the only spawning I ever had so I couldn't try again to see if I could raise babies.

• Like 1

I had a single clownfish fry that I was trying to raise, but it got caught in a silicon seam.  I wish I had a rotifer culture going right now, but I'm hatching baby brine shrimp.  We'll see, fingers crossed.

DSFIRSTSLTWATER
25 minutes ago, seabass said:

I had a single clownfish fry that I was trying to raise, but it got caught in a silicon seam.  I wish I had a rotifer culture going right now, but I'm hatching baby brine shrimp.  We'll see, fingers crossed.

yeah the babies that I had got stuck in a makeshift breeder box between the mesh and the plastic frame. Baby fish are so hard to raise, don't know how people do it lol.

• Sad 1

There was an opportunity to remove the male from the 20 gallon tank, so I did.  After the lights came on, I fed them.  The male would dart to the mysis; however, he still refused to eat.  I'm sure that means that he's still holding some young.  At this point, I don't wish to stress him any further, so I'm leaving him in the 100 gallon tank.  I suspect he'll expel the remaining fry soon.

I ordered a variety of frozen foods for them (rotifers, cyclops, etc).  I hope they take to frozen food soon.  I have some more reading to do, to see what and when to feed them.

• Like 2
jedimasterben
35 minutes ago, seabass said:

There was an opportunity to remove the male from the 20 gallon tank, so I did.  After the lights came on, I fed them.  The male would dart to the mysis; however, he still refused to eat.  I'm sure that means that he's still holding some young.  At this point, I don't wish to stress him any further, so I'm leaving him in the 100 gallon tank.  I suspect he'll expel the remaining fry soon.

I ordered a variety of frozen foods for them (rotifers, cyclops, etc).  I hope they take to frozen food soon.  I have some more reading to do, to see what and when to feed them.

Golden pearls from Brine Shrimp Direct. Fish will take to that very quickly, I promise. 🙂

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, jedimasterben said:

Golden pearls from Brine Shrimp Direct.

If what I ordered falls short, that's what I get.  Thanks!

It was two more days after returning the father before he started eating again.  Julie was checking the tank out when she noticed two babies in the overflow box.  I had to drain it and remove the stand pipe in order to scoop them up with a protein powder scoop.

Dad has since released all the young and is eating like has hasn't eaten in a month.  Because, he hasn't eaten in a...

Julie counts 16 babies.  I think they are growing, but it's hard to see them actually eat.  I've tried frozen a couple of times.  I'm not really sure if they ate.  They reacted slightly to the presence of frozen food.

@jedimasterben, I went ahead and ordered a sampler pack of all the sizes of Golden Pearls, as I wasn't 100% sure what size to get and didn't want to pay shipping again when they needed a bigger size.  It hasn't arrived yet, maybe tomorrow.

I also ordered a big cleanup crew from LA (mostly astrea snails).  Astreas have become my favorite herbivorous snail.  They kick ass on cleaning algae.  For the longest time, I held off on putting them in this tank because they aren't Pacific snails.  But I fint gave up on that nonsense.

• Like 2
jedimasterben
8 hours ago, seabass said:

It was two more days after returning the father before he started eating again.  Julie was checking the tank out when she noticed two babies in the overflow box.  I had to drain it and remove the stand pipe in order to scoop them up with a protein powder scoop.

Dad has since released all the young and is eating like has hasn't eaten in a month.  Because, he hasn't eaten in a...

Julie counts 16 babies.  I think they are growing, but it's hard to see them actually eat.  I've tried frozen a couple of times.  I'm not really sure if they ate.  They reacted slightly to the presence of frozen food.

@jedimasterben, I went ahead and ordered a sampler pack of all the sizes of Golden Pearls, as I wasn't 100% sure what size to get and didn't want to pay shipping again when they needed a bigger size.  It hasn't arrived yet, maybe tomorrow.

I also ordered a big cleanup crew from LA (mostly astrea snails).  Astreas have become my favorite herbivorous snail.  They kick ass on cleaning algae.  For the longest time, I held off on putting them in this tank because they aren't Pacific snails.  But I fint gave up on that nonsense.

That's what I did a few years ago, too, because I couldn't decide. The tiniest ones are seriously like powdered sugar it's so tiny. My favorite are the 300-500 micron size, they're the perfect size for just about any fish, even when i had a 6" sargassum triggerfish a few years back he would snack on them like they were going out of style.

And for snails, if you can find them, get some trochus. I love astraea snails, too, but after getting some trochus a couple years ago, I will never do a reef without them!

• Like 1
1 minute ago, jedimasterben said:

And for snails, if you can find them, get some trochus.

I actually did order 5 more trochus snails... and I believe 40 astraeas.  I'd actually prefer to keep trochus in this tank (being a Pacific snail).  I'm not sure why, but I have more problems keeping trochus snails alive (especially initially).

I've tried drip acclimation, and just temperature acclimating them.  However, a good percentage tends to want to turn themselves on their back, like they're begging to be eaten by a crab.  My current thought is that LA keeps the specific gravity a little low, and even drip acclimating them isn't enough.  Then I have others which seem fine.  :unsure:

IDK.  They're more expensive and I have some unexplained issue keeping them, so I've pretty much given up on them.  I'll continue to keep a few around while I count on team astraea to do the brunt of the work.

• Like 1
jedimasterben
28 minutes ago, seabass said:

I actually did order 5 more trochus snails... and I believe 40 astraeas.  I'd actually prefer to keep trochus in this tank (being a Pacific snail).  I'm not sure why, but I have more problems keeping trochus snails alive (especially initially).

I've tried drip acclimation, and just temperature acclimating them.  However, a good percentage tends to want to turn themselves on their back, like they're begging to be eaten by a crab.  My current thought is that LA keeps the specific gravity a little low, and even drip acclimating them isn't enough.  Then I have others which seem fine.  :unsure:

IDK.  They're more expensive and I have some unexplained issue keeping them, so I've pretty much given up on them.  I'll continue to keep a few around while I count on team astraea to do the brunt of the work.

I don't even drip acclimate anemones anymore. Drop n plop. I lost all trochus from my first go at them (can't remember where I got them), but I think they probably were stressed out from shipping. Second batch of them I got from LA I have lost one of over the last couple years, and it was gigantic, so not sure how old it was or how long their lifespan should be. But at least you have astraea to fall back on!

• Like 1
1 minute ago, jedimasterben said:

I don't even drip acclimate anemones anymore. Drop n plop.

I'm with you.  Drip acclimation can subject livestock to high ammonia levels and I generally avoid it.  John at Reef Cleaners even warns against drip acclimation.  I gave dripping a shot because I lost a batch of trochus, like you did, after plopping (didn't seem to help much though).  It's frustrating, as I haven't had issues with other types of snails.  Maybe they are just more delicate shippers.

@jedimasterben, got the food from Brine Shrimp Direct today.  They've been gorging themselves on live baby brine shrimp.  They're getting pretty big.  Here are the 19 Banggai Cardinalfish babies.  You can occasionally see the brine shrimp swimming around too.

• Like 8
24 minutes ago, seabass said:

@jedimasterben, got the food from Brine Shrimp Direct today.  They've been gorging themselves on live baby brine shrimp.  They're getting pretty big.  Here are the 19 Banggai Cardinalfish babies.  You can occasionally see the brine shrimp swimming around too.

Wow they are getting big already!

• Like 1
2 hours ago, seabass said:

Awesome!! It looks like they are hopping in the water!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
3 hours ago, seabass said:

So neat!! How big are they  now? From the video they seem kinda big bc they have all the features of an adult .. curious as to what you feed your cardinals.  I bought one bc they look neat. I kinda thought they were like the black and white damsels when i bought one haha.  I tried pellets but mine only eats mysis.  

2 hours ago, SeaFurn said:

What are you going to do with them all??

I'm not sure.  Someone suggested giving them to our zoo (which has several reef tanks).  But I'm suspect I'll see if our local stores are interested in them.  I've shipping coral before, but haven't ever considered shipping fish.

24 minutes ago, FISHnChix said:

So neat!! How big are they  now? From the video they seem kinda big bc they have all the features of an adult .. curious as to what you feed your cardinals.  I bought one bc they look neat. I kinda thought they were like the black and white damsels when i bought one haha.  I tried pellets but mine only eats mysis.  

The babies are about the size of a pea now.  They are still on baby brine shrimp, but I'm hoping to get them on prepared foods soon.

Yeah, my adults are the same, just frozen mysis.  I've tried other food, but they are so picky.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
14 hours ago, seabass said:

That is so cool! Glad they are all doing well for you:smilie:

• Thanks 1