Coral Vue Hydros

Seabass's In-wall 100 Gallon

seabass

Image result for work in progress

Seabass's In-Wall 100 Gallon

[PIC or PICs - including a current Full Tank Shot]

Equipment and Specifications

• Tank: 100 gallon TRUVU Reef Ready (48" x 24" x 20")
  • Lighting: 48" Tek T5 HO
  • Wavemaker: EcoTech MP10
  • Sump and Return Pump: Aqueon 40 gallon breeder with Mag Drive 9.5 return pump
  • Heater: (brand, model, and wattage - and set temperature)
  • Aquarium Power (or Temperature) Controller: (brand and model)
  • Skimmer: ASM G4
  • Filter: No aditional mechanical or chemical filter
  • Lid: Acrylic top

Rock and Sand

• Amount and Type of Rock: (for example: if started from dry, a mixture of dry and ocean live rock, or ocean live rock)
  • Amount and Type of Sand: (dry sand, bagged live sand, or actual ocean live sand)

Fish

• Breeding pair of captive-bred Ocellaris Clownfish (Amphiprion ocellaris)

https://content.invisioncic.com/Mnanoreef/imageproxy/081218g.jpg.c517f053fcf74ff1c7547281bba32ffc.jpg

• Captive-bred Banggai Cardinalfish (Pterapogon kauderni)

Coral

Soft Coral

(species and pics)

LPS Coral

(species and pics)

SPS Coral

(species and pics)

NPS Coral

(species and pics)

Other Inverts

(for example: Anemones, Snails, Crabs, etc. - including pics)

Macroalgae

(species and pics)

Water, Parameters, and Dosing

• Water Type Used: (RO/DI, RO, or filtered tap)
  • Salt Mix: (brand and the specific gravity that you mix it to)
  • Target Parameters: (for example: Phosphate, Nitrate, Alkalinity, Calcium, and Magnesium)
  • Dosing: (nutrients and/or elements dosed - frequency and amounts)
  • Top Off Method: (for example: manual top offs, or model of automatic top off unit)

Feeding and Maintenance

(type of food, amount, how often you feed - as well as maintenance activities, like water change amounts and frequencies)

History and Tank Summary

[Early PIC or PICs - like the picture that you used to announce your tank]

(including things like when the tank was established, as well as its history and evolution - including a summary of notable events)

Struggles and Lessons Learned

(struggles like leaks, algae blooms, dinos, and other pests, along with what you learned, and advice that you'd give to beginning hobbyists)

Future Plans

(for example: if you have plans to upgrade equipment, add livestock, re-aquascape, etc.)

082017a.jpg

FTS taken on 08/20/17

Equipment:
Tank:

Lighting:

Sump:

Return pump:

Skimmer: ASM G4

Media reactor: BRS carbon/GFO reactor

Planned Livestock:

(trio) Bartlett's Anthias (Pseudanthias bartlettorum)

(pair) captive-bred Ocellaris Clownfish (Amphiprion ocellaris)

Bicolor Blenny (Ecsenius bicolor)

Rose Bulb Anemone (Entacmaea quadricolor)

Green Bulb Anemone (Entacmaea quadricolor)

Green w/purple tips Bulb Anemone (Entacmaea quadricolor)

Mini Carpet Anemones (Stichodactyla tapetum)

Brittle Sea Star (Ophiure protoreaster)

(pair) captive-bred Blood Red Fire Shrimp (Lysmata debelius)

Nassarius Snails
Stromus Snails
Trochus Snails

MiniStars

Dwarf Feather Duster

(maybe a Clam)

• Like 6
Where are you setting it up at ?
I'm looking forward to getting it setup. The tank will be in an utility room, with the wall opening leading to a finished basement. It's a good space for spilling water as there isn't much I can ruin in there. :happy:
  • Like 1
NanoTopia

Looks like an interesting build, have you gotten to the equipment planning stage yet? Lighting, pumps, sump...

Looks like an interesting build, have you gotten to the equipment planning stage yet? Lighting, pumps, sump...
Yeah, I have most everything I'll need laying around. I'll start posting equipment in the first post over the next few days.

Wall tanks are a PAIN IN THE ASS
Why is that?

This one is more of a behind wall (than in wall) tank. It will be setup just like a any other tank, except turned around (so that the front faces the wall). I'm not messing with front access for feeding (or anything like that).

• 9 months later...

There have been a few delays, but I've made a little progress. Still have to build the stand (will probably wait for some warmer weather to build and paint it in the garage. Here's what I have done so far.

021713a.jpg

021713b.jpg

021713c.jpg

021713d.jpg

021713e.jpg

021713f.jpg

021713g.jpg

021713h.jpg

021713i.jpg

Edit: Oh yeah, I forgot about getting the 200+ gallon vertical water storage tank down here. I had to take the frame off of the door (not just the door), in order to make enough room. It was still a tight squeeze.

doorframe.jpg

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
TeflonTomDosh

There have been a few delays, but I've made a little progress. Still have to build the stand (will probably wait for some warmer weather to build and paint it in the garage. Here's what I have done so far.

021713a.jpg

021713b.jpg

021713c.jpg

021713d.jpg

021713e.jpg

021713f.jpg

021713g.jpg

021713h.jpg

021713i.jpg

Edit: Oh yeah, I forgot about getting the 200+ gallon vertical water storage tank down here. I had to take the frame off of the door (not just the door), in order to make enough room. It was still a tight squeeze.

doorframe.jpg

Kick ass seabass. Why not just turn that whole room into a big tank!

Updates?

The weather is finally getting nice enough to consider building/painting a stand for this project. I'll post some pics when I start to tackle it.

Kick ass seabass. Why not just turn that whole room into a big tank!

:) Thanks! Not one big tank, but I will have at least two or three tanks down there.

The weather is finally getting nice enough to consider building/painting a stand for this project. I'll post some pics when I start to tackle it.

:) Thanks! Not one big tank, but I will have at least two or three tanks down there.

Good to hear! Can't wait to see more. :)

I currently have five Black Axil Chromis, a pair of Ocellaris Clownfish, a Greenbanded Goby, a Blood Red Fire Shrimp, a few Dwarf Blue Leg Hermit Crabs, and various snails. I have a number of Rock Flower Anemones, a couple of BTAs, three Mini Carpet Anemones. So it will have some fish, a bunch of anemones, and a few corals.

I'm planning on using dry rock, mostly because I have a bunch of it available. I'll probably just go through the pile and pick the largest and most interesting pieces; instead of trying to stack, or use epoxy, foam, mortar, or threaded nylon rod to form a structure. However, I'll probably do some chiseling to help shape a few of the pieces.

Negative space is fairly popular, and I plan to have plenty. It's a relatively shallow tank and I want to see the Chromis swim. The bioload is too much for the current 40 gallon holding tank, but it should be pretty suitable for a 100 gallon tank.

I'll be using Dr.Tims bacteria and ammonia to prep the rock/tank and establish a biofilter. I'm thinking that I'll add a couple of clownfish first, then the rest of the fish. The 40 will remain running as a quarantine tank; at least until I can transfer everything over to the new tank.

chromis.jpg

brute.jpg

• Like 2

Speed this build up.

+1

Seabass a job or other responsibilities are not a good excuse for us to not see a stand yet :P.

What is going to light this beast?

I'm pretty much working with what I have; so it's either a 4 or 6 bulb 48" T5HO Tek-light. There shouldn't be a big need for intense lighting, so I'm going to try the 4 bulb (I can switch to the 6 bulb fixture if necessary).

• 3 weeks later...

Update:

I'm currently battling Bryopsis and Dinos in my holding tank. I'm on day two of a total blackout. Have performed the Kent Tech M treatment up to 2100ppm (and upset my Rock Flower Anemones), have used a bottle of lanthanum chloride to eliminate phosphate, went through a couple of bags of CPE, and am currently using Seachem's Seagel (carbon and Phosgurad mix) to deal with the release of phosphate and toxins from Dinos.

Oh yeah, I've done a couple of rounds of ChemiClean. Plus, I'm doing 100% of my top offs by dripping Kalk via a dosing pump. The pH is around 8.4, and my heater now looks like a stalagmite. I've also dosed peroxide on and off (but had to stop due to the new Fire Shrimp).

I've given up on the Bryopsis. The rocks will get bleached and will not be transferred to the new tank. I'll have to be carefull what I transfer so I don't just move these problems to a larger tank. :( I'm hoping it's possible to stock this tank without transfering the Dinoflagellates.

The weather in Iowa has been cold. Things are getting green, but it's still been dropping below freezing on a fairly regular basis. I'm hoping to get in the garage to build/paint the stand soon. Maybe I'll start building the stand next week. I hope it gets warm enough to paint soon afterward.