Coral Vue Hydros

Seabass's In-wall 100 Gallon

seabass

48 minutes ago, jedimasterben said:

Have you tried the golden pearls yet?

I did.  Some of them swam towards where I fed it, but not all of them reacted.  They are still small enough where I find it impossible to see if they are eating anything.  Plus, the tank has been full of live brine shrimp since day one, so 1) they are probably pretty full and 2) they have a choice between live and prepared (with their instincts telling them to eat live).  So I think it's the difference between sight vs scent.  I'll continue to introduce the Golden Pearls; hopefully they will take to it.  I think that an alternative to BBS will become more important as they continue to grow.

Question though.  I put the Golden Pearls in the refrigerator.  Do you freeze yours, put it in the fridge, or leave it out at room temp?  And do you think freezing would be OK?  That would actually be most convenient for me.

• Like 2
jedimasterben
9 minutes ago, seabass said:

I did.  Some of them swam towards where I fed it, but not all of them reacted.  They are still small enough where I find it impossible to see if they are eating anything.  Plus, the tank has been full of live brine shrimp since day one, so 1) they are probably pretty full and 2) they have a choice between live and prepared (with their instincts telling them to eat live).  So I think it's the difference between sight vs scent.  I'll continue to introduce the Golden Pearls; hopefully they will take to it.  I think that an alternative to BBS will become more important as they continue to grow.

Question though.  I put the Golden Pearls in the refrigerator.  Do you freeze yours, put it in the fridge, or leave it out at room temp?

I just leave them out. They'll last longer in the fridge, but it's not a super strict requirement for them or anything. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I suppose I should start a new thread for the baby cardinals, as they don't live in this tank anymore.  But I wasn't sure that they'd survive.  However, all 19 are still alive.

One gave me a scare the other night. I hooked up a small HOB filter to the tank, as the water quality was visibly deteriorating (even with more frequent, decent sized water changes).  Shortly after starting the HOB, I saw one of the babies dart around the tank super fast.  Afterwards, it laid on its side like it was dead.  So I turned down the flow of the filter to little more than a trickle.

I went to fish it out with a net, but realized that it wasn't dead (although showing few signs of life).  I felt bad leaving it in there, but knew I'd feel bad about euthanizing it too.  A little later it was upright, but not swimming.  A bit later it was swimming a little.  Then I saw it on its side again.  Still later it was upright once again.

I figured it'd be dead the next morning and that I'd fish it out then.  However, to my surprise, the next morning I couldn't tell which one it was; they were all swimming about the tank.  Oh, BTW, they are exploring a lot more than they used to.

Sometimes I shut off the flow and give them a break.  They seem to like to hunt when the flow is off.  However, twice now, I've had to free one of them from the clear tube of the sponge filter.  A group of them would go higher in the tank and one would swim over the tube's opening.  As the others descended, the one over the tube moved down into the tube.

So these guys aren't so bright.  The group would hang around the trapped fish, but it couldn't find it's way back out of the tube.  There was no coaxing it out either.  I finally had to lift the filter up and pour the fish out of the tube.  Then as it approached the opening, it was reluctant to leave. :rolleyes:

I've been able to slowly increase the flow of the HOB filter (with a floss/activated carbon cartridge).  The visibility is almost normal again.  I was afraid that I'd filter out all of the baby brine shrimp (BBS); however, there still seem to be a decent population still in the tank.

Come to think about it, I should dose some more phyto into the tank to gut load the shrimps.  I'm worried that although they are eating a lot, them might not be getting a lot of good nutrition.  Freshly hatched BBS are actually fairly nutritious, but lose become less nutritious as their egg sac is used up.  I've been hatching BBS daily for them.  They have gotten a lot bigger.  I'll try to post a pic or video later today.

I've only done a few attempts at feed frozen or Golden Pearls.  Most of it just ends up on the bottom.  However, with the fish getting bigger, I'd like to get them on some more substantial food.  And now that the water quality is getting better again, I feel that I need to try to get them eating prepared foods.  Note that their parents won't eat anything but frozen mysis (super picky eaters).

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

042219a.jpg

I found an aiptasia on a bumblebee snail shell.  That's kind of weird as I haven't added anything recently but some snails (which I inspected).  I hope that this was a lone wolf and not something worse.

And as promised, here is your BC baby fix:

• Like 7

Ben recommended Golden Pearls; that would be ideal.  But I'd be satisfied with frozen cyclops, eventually switching to frozen mysis.

31 minutes ago, yoshii said:

Glad to hear they are all still doing well!

I jinxed myself and lost the first one today. :sad:  I figure that a few losses are pretty normal, but I hope the health of the group is still good.  It makes me even more serious about trying to switch foods.  I don't want them to go hungry, but I'm not sure they'll accept anything else while BBS are swimming around them. :unsure:

• Like 3
Christopher Marks

Baby banggais! 😍

They really are growing up fast! Losing one from that many doesn't sound too unusual, hopefully you can get them switched over to an easier food soon. They're in good hands.

• Thanks 1

Well... I have bad news.  The next day, after the first loss, three more died.  I checked for ammonia, and there was a small but definite spike.  I did a big water change and started dosing Prime.  But the losses kept coming (like two or three each day).  It was heart breaking.  The babies actually looked well fed.

Once, all the babies were swimming around and I dipped a cup in the tank to feed them.  Instantly, three babies began to float in the tank. :unsure:  Stress?  I figured that as the numbers dwindled, the bio-load would reduce and they would be easier to maintain.  I had an unused ammonia badge, but apparently it was too old to function.

A couple of days ago, the last one died. :sad:  Obviously I need to do more research.  I'm not sure if it was the ammonia spike, toxin, or a nutritional/digestion problem.  I can't imagine that it was a disease (like from the shrimp eggs?).  Seems strange that they would last so long only to quickly die off.

I have placed the rock in a bucket where I'm dosing ammonia to beef up the biofilter.  I may even add another rock.  The thought was to maintain a nursery for the next batch.  The tank is being cleaned up for another attempt.

So here's the thing; last night, the male stopped eating again.  More babies on the way.  So I have some more prep and reading to do.  Any suggestions would be welcome.

• Sad 5
  • Wow 1
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
4 minutes ago, seabass said:

Well I have bad news.  The next day I lost three more.  I checked for ammonia, and there was a spike.  I did a big water change and started dosing Prime.  But the losses kept coming.  It was heart breaking.  The babies actually looked well fed.

Once, all the babies were swimming around and I dipped a cup in the tank to feed them.  Instantly, three babies began to float in the tank. :unsure:  I figured that as the numbers dwindled, the bio-load would reduce and they would be easier to maintain.  I had an unused ammonia badge, but apparently it was too old to function.

A couple of days ago, the last one died. :sad:  Obviously I need to do more research.  I'm not sure if it was the ammonia spike, toxin, or a nutritional/digestion problem.  I can't imagine that it was a disease (like from the shrimp eggs?).  Seems strange that they would last so long only to quickly die off.

I have placed the rock in a bucket where I'm dosing ammonia to beef up the biofilter.  I may even add another rock.  The thought was to maintain a nursery for the next batch.  The tank is being cleaned up for another attempt.

So here's the thing; last night, the male stopped eating again.  More babies on the way.  So I have some more prep and reading to do.  Any suggestions would be welcome.

Oh man seabass, that sucks, sorry to hear none of them made it. I wish I could help with suggestions, but I've never been good with babies. Maybe ammonia did them in with them being young and all.

• Like 3
WV Reefer
2 hours ago, seabass said:

Well I have bad news.  The next day I lost three more.  I checked for ammonia, and there was a spike.  I did a big water change and started dosing Prime.  But the losses kept coming.  It was heart breaking.  The babies actually looked well fed.

Once, all the babies were swimming around and I dipped a cup in the tank to feed them.  Instantly, three babies began to float in the tank. :unsure:  I figured that as the numbers dwindled, the bio-load would reduce and they would be easier to maintain.  I had an unused ammonia badge, but apparently it was too old to function.

So sorry to hear that. 🙁

• Thanks 1

Oh no 😞 I'm so sorry. Maybe it was the ammonia? I haven't raised Bangaiis before so that's just a guess.

Hopefully you will have better luck with the next batch!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I've started a new thread for my cardinalfish nursery.

The male has a mouthful of babies.  I've beefed up the biofilter in hopes to eliminate the previous ammonia issue.  Although I also purchased an Ammonia Alert Badge.  The main issue is that I have to leave town for a few days, so I'm leaving the male in this tank versus transferring him to the nursery.  Hopefully he won't release the babies until I get back.  It's bad timing.

• 4 months later...

I'm due for a more proper update; however, here's a closeup pic of the filthy front pane (can't remember when I last cleaned it):

092519a.jpg

Notice the flatworm.  I have no plans to do anything about them at this time.

• Like 3
  • Wow 1
  • 9 months later...

Hi  Yeah, I haven't done a proper update in awhile.  I'm about a year late on maintenance, so it's not much to look at. :blush:  However, things are going pretty well.

• Like 4
7 hours ago, seabass said:

Hi  Yeah, I haven't done a proper update in awhile.  I'm about a year late on maintenance, so it's not much to look at. :blush:  However, things are going pretty well.

Sooooo that means we’re gonna get an update right? 

• Haha 1
10 hours ago, Sharbuckle said:

Sooooo that means we’re gonna get an update right? 

I'll even take before pics, which will depict its current condition.  Maybe next week. :unsure:

• Haha 1