Seabass's In-wall 100 Gallon

seabass

2 minutes ago, Sharbuckle said:

Whoa. Things are happening. Yassssss

It's mostly just smoke right now.

Image result for rocket launch gif
But maybe someday it'll take off.
  • Like 1

So I glued all of them except the Encrusting Sunset Montipora sp. (which has fallen down so I didn't get a pic of it).

083118c.jpg

Forest Fire Montipora digitata

083118d.jpg

A couple of Duncans from my cookie jar pico.

083118e.jpg

Montipora undata (top) and another Duncan below.  A little cyano too. :sad:

083118f.jpg

Top down: Montipora digitata, red Montipora capricornis, and green Montipora capricornis

083118g.jpg

Another shot of the Montipora undata, two Christmas Montipora capricornis (it's hard to see the one on the left), and another red Montipora capricornis

083118h.jpg

On the right is another Montipora digitata (which I split in two).  I also split the red monti cap and Christmas monti cap.

They aren't all happy, but I hope they settle in.  I still have to move over some zoanthids.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, HarryPotter said:

Looks great! What bulbs are you using? 

Thanks!  It's not a lot of light, just four 4' T5HOs.  I bought some cheap Giesemann bulbs during the Drs Foster clearance sale.  Unfortunately, they ran out of Aquablue Coral bulbs, so I had to get ATI Aquablue Specials as a replacement.  So I'm running:

• ATI Aquablue Special
  • Giesemann Powerchrome Actinic Blue
  • Giesemann Powerchrome Aquablue Coral
  • Giesemann Powerchrome Actinic Blue

I got two sets for this tank, and two sets for my 40 gallon.  After they are used up, I might get some LEDs (we'll see).

Hey, if you end up losing anything that you sent me, let me know and I'll frag a piece for you when they get large enough.

• Like 3
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
1 hour ago, jedimasterben said:

I like the maxi mini. Next time the LFS gets a box of them I think I'm gonna get a few more.

Who's stronger...rock flower or the maxi mini???

20 minutes ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

Who's stronger...rock flower or the maxi mini???

As far as nematocyst content? The carpets take it hands down. There are some NPS anemones here on the FL coast that are basically rock flowers, and they are worlds above even the full size carpet nems as far as their sting, but the rock flowers sold in the hobby are pretty mild overall.

• Like 2
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
22 minutes ago, jedimasterben said:

As far as nematocyst content? The carpets take it hands down. There are some NPS anemones here on the FL coast that are basically rock flowers, and they are worlds above even the full size carpet nems as far as their sting, but the rock flowers sold in the hobby are pretty mild overall.

Cool thanks :smilie: I always wonder about the sting...I always wear gloves when I'm doing or handling anything in the tank. Don't want to take a chance lol.

3 hours ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

Cool thanks :smilie: I always wonder about the sting...I always wear gloves when I'm doing or handling anything in the tank. Don't want to take a chance lol.

Lol... The"Sting " on these guys is more of a glue sensation.  Won't feel a thing, just have something really sticky attached to your finger.

And the maxis don't really move.  Mine have stayed put for years at a time. 

• Thanks 1
DSFIRSTSLTWATER

That's pretty neat :-). I was thinking of maybe pickup up a maxi at some point. Will see if I can find a good looking one. The info is good to know..always concerned about taking a sting from them so I always play it safe.

3 hours ago, specore said:

And the maxis don't really move.  Mine have stayed put for years at a time. 

I would normally agree with this.  However, my green one just moved on me last night. :smilie:

092018a.jpg

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Three nano fish for 100 gallons seemed a little light, so I just got in a bonded pair of captive bred Banggai Cardinalfish from Live Aquaria's Diver's Den.  And to get free shipping, I added an aquacultured ORA Purple Monti Cap to the order.  I still have to dip the coral, but the Cardinals are swimming around together.  They are keeping to the back, the lights aren't on yet, and the tank sides haven't been scraped for a couple of months, so I can't get pic of them just yet.

• Like 4
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
34 minutes ago, seabass said:

Three nano fish for 100 gallons seemed a little light, so I just got in a bonded pair of captive bred Banggai Cardinalfish from Live Aquaria's Diver's Den.  And to get free shipping, I added an aquacultured ORA Purple Monti Cap to the order.  I still have to Dip the coral, but the Cardinals are swimming around together.  They are keeping to the back, the lights aren't on yet, and the tank sides haven't been scraped for a couple of months, so I can't get pic of them just yet.

Can't wait to see pics of the new additions :smilie:

• Like 1

The corals are out of the dip and the lights are on.  Here's my monti cap being dipped:

110118a.jpg  110118b.jpg

110118c.jpg  110118d.jpg

I soak frags in 150ml of tank water and 10ml of Bayer for 20 minutes (then double rinse them and try to blow off any foreign stuff with a turkey baster).

Here are the fish:

110118e.jpg

I'll get some better pics later.

• Like 4

I was watching the new fish, and now I realize just how large my female clownfish is.  She absolutely dwarfs my new cardinalfish.  I also superglued the monti frags in place

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

I probably have enough Red Gracilaria Algae in back of the largest rock to fill a 2 gallon container, so I'm pretty sure that it's consuming most of the available nutrients.  I'd actually like to have them covered in coralline; but I haven't been dosing, so the parameters aren't ideal for it.  Although I do get coralline in some of the shaded areas (I figure that there are less photosynthetic competitors there).  But it is nice that I'm not having to scrape coralline off of the walls.

I figure that I'll start dosing after Christmas (primarily for the montiporas).  Just too much going on to change up my routine right now.

I figure that I'll dose manually for awhile.  However, I have a couple of cheap dosing pumps (which have to be setup on a timer or controller).  I'll eventually set those up too.