SaltCritters.com

Seabass's In-wall 100 Gallon

seabass

On 11/12/2018 at 4:21 PM, HarryPotter said:

... how on earth do the rocks stay so clean? Mine either go red or green, but never stay white!

Perhaps a more realistic depiction of the actual color of my rocks (without the tank lights on):

111418a.jpg

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, seabass said:

Perhaps a more realistic depiction of the actual color of my rocks (without the tank lights on):

111418a.jpg

Still; I am not sure how you don't have more algae on a tank this age! 

• Like 1

I use a five year old "advanced" point and shoot (Canon Powershot S120).  It has it's limitations, but gets the job done.  The zoom is practically non-existent, and most of my pics are resized, and post processed to improve their appearance.  I do like the manual features and white balance (couldn't live without them).  I figure most of my pics are for these forums so 800x600 is usually as large as I post (640x480 most of the time, sometimes even 320x240).

• Like 1

I thought it might be easier to get the the cardinals to eat something other than frozen.  However, they continue to spit out anything that isn't frozen.  I'll keep trying, as I don't wish to feed frozen every day (doesn't really work well when I am gone).

Interestingly, they only live one or two years in the wild (and more like four in captivity).  Based on size, I assume that mine are still young.  They will likely outlive my geriatric clownfish.

• Like 2
  • 2 months later...

Don't try this at home folks.  So today at lunchtime, I noticed that I had forgot to turn on the return pump and powerhead on my tank yesterday.  It must have been 16 to 18 hours without any heat or circulation. :eek:

The skimmer and heater in the sump were still on (which didn't help the display), but supplied instant oxygen and heat to my tank when I turned the return back on.  Surprisingly, I don't see any evidence of anything abnormal.  Dodged a bullet there.  I guess under stocking has its advantages.

• Like 2
  • Wow 2
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
7 minutes ago, seabass said:

Don't try this at home folks.  So today at lunchtime, I noticed that I had forgot to turn on the return pump and powerhead on my tank yesterday.  It must have been 16 to 18 hours without any heat or circulation. :eek:

The skimmer and heater in the sump were still on (which didn't help the display), but supplied instant oxygen and heat to my tank when I turned the return back on.  Surprisingly, I don't see any evidence of anything abnormal.  Dodged a bullet there.  I guess under stocking has its advantages.

Glad to hear all is well with the tank.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 1 month later...

So my male Banggai Cardinalfish has stopped eating.  It's been about 5 days now.  I've seen mysis shrimp actually hit him in the face and he doesn't even flinch.  I think he might be carry eggs in his mouth.  I've read that this can take up to 30 days.  I can't imagine him not eating for a month. :whoa:

Does anybody have any experience with Banggai Cardinals breeding that they are willing to share?

• Like 1
  • Wow 4

30 days without eating? How is that possible? If I have a fish stop eating he is usually dead in a couple days, although I guess he probably has an illness that brought on the lack of appetite.

• Like 1

I guess around 20 days is more common.  The fry can eat baby brine shrimp, so it's time to break out the hatchery and order more brine shrimp eggs (as I just pitched the ones I had, since my clownfish stopped breeding).

I will likely need to move the father before any fry emerge (as he sometimes hangs surprisingly close to lady clownfish); then move him back afterwards.  Again, I'm assuming he's holding a very small brood, as his jaw isn't bulging as much as I've seen in some other pics.

I think trying to save the fry of breeding fish is rewarding.  It's certainly educational.  I'll keep you posted.

http://breedmyfish.blogspot.com/p/banggai-cardinals.html

Edit: I just ordered brine shrimp eggs and Selcon; should have them by Wednesday.

• Like 3
  • Wow 1
22 hours ago, seabass said:

I guess around 20 days is more common.  The fry can eat baby brine shrimp, so it's time to break out the hatchery and order more brine shrimp eggs (as I just pitched the ones I had, since my clownfish stopped breeding).

I will likely need to move the father before any fry emerge (as he sometimes hangs surprisingly close to lady clownfish); then move him back afterwards.  Again, I'm assuming he's holding a very small brood, as his jaw isn't bulging as much as I've seen in some other pics.

I think trying to save the fry of breeding fish is rewarding.  It's certainly educational.  I'll keep you posted.

http://breedmyfish.blogspot.com/p/banggai-cardinals.html

Edit: I just ordered brine shrimp eggs and Selcon; should have them by Wednesday.

Exciting!! 😃

• Like 2
3 hours ago, WV Reefer said:

Exciting!! 

Can you imagine baby cardinals in my 2.5 contest tank? :smilie:

I actually don't expect to save any this first time, but I still want to be prepared to try.  I'm so glad I'm not a male fish taking care of a brood (at least for clownfish and cardinalfish).  It looks like it would be pretty hard.  You can see the male react to food in the water; but he will still ignore it, even when it passes right in front of him.

• Like 2

Best of luck with the potential cardinal babies! If it's the male's first time, he might end up eating them, but they usually eventually get it right.

• Like 2
  • Wow 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Guess what I saw this morning:

Spoiler

032619a.jpg

I'm having a hard time photographing them being towards the back of the tank, with the lighting, and my camera.  There are currently two babies.  One's hanging out near this fake anemone, and the other doesn't swim as strong and is closer to his father.

The father still refuses to eat, so I'm guessing this is the first batch, and that more fry will be released in the next day or two.  They are in a 20L with an air driven sponge filter.

• Like 3
  • Wow 3

Thanks! :smilie:  I was pretty excited.  After seeing clownfish fry, I was actually shocked to see how big they are.  I could search around for 5 minutes before I could find my clownfish fry, but these guys stand out really well.

I've been hatching brine shrimp eggs to try to feed them.  I just hope they get enough food.  I kind of wish I had my rotifer population still going as then I could feed a few times a day.  With BBS, I can realistically only feed one batch per day.

I'm debating whether or not to try to force him to release the rest of the brood, or wait.  The poor guy has to be hungry.  I hope they don't breed for awhile so that he has a chance to fatten back up.

• Like 2
jedimasterben
1 hour ago, seabass said:

Thanks! :smilie:  I was pretty excited.  After seeing clownfish fry, I was actually shocked to see how big they are.  I could search around for 5 minutes before I could find my clownfish fry, but these guys stand out really well.

I've been hatching brine shrimp eggs to try to feed them.  I just hope they get enough food.  I kind of wish I had my rotifer population still going as then I could feed a few times a day.  With BBS, I can realistically only feed one batch per day.

I'm debating whether or not to try to force him to release the rest of the brood, or wait.  The poor guy has to be hungry.  I hope they don't breed for awhile so that he has a chance to fatten back up.

An 'easier' way of hatching brine shrimp, though significantly less efficient, is to use a constant hatchery like this: https://www.amazon.com/Brine-Shrimp-Direct-Hatchery-Dish/dp/B079C6BN2B

As they hatch, they make their way towards the opening in the middle where the light comes in, and they will continue to do so. You'll have to change out the water every few days, and if the room is cold they will hatch WAY more slowly, but it is less overall work than bubbling them and whatnot to hatch them and then separate the shells.

You could also feed decapsulated eggs directly - fish go ballistic for them and very quickly go for them despite their not moving around like live.

• Thanks 1