ReefCleaners.org

The Official Mantis Shrimp Owners Thread

ccapasso

You can count me in on the list, although I have not seen mine more than once, which was about a month ago. He was a hitchhiker. About 3/4" long and brown. I haven't seen him again but I can here him once in a while.

I put in some blue legged hermits the other day and within minutes the clicking started.

I have a very large female Banded Coral Shrimp in there. How do you think she will fare as this thing gets older?

Edited by belsenj
Islandoftiki
I have a very large female Banded Coral Shrimp in there. How do you think she will fare as this thing gets older?

It would depend on how big that mantis gets. My little guy is too small to even take out a mexican red leg hermit. He's more of a dwarf cerith/dwarf blue leg hermit kinda guy. He'd probably wouldn't even be too disruptive in my 10 gallon if I didn't have a pistol shrimp.

Every mantis has a little bit different disposition.

I'll do whatever I can to protect my CBS, so I may set up a trap in a couple of months and try to get the Mantis out of there. I really would like to keep a Manits, but I think I would have to set up a 3rd tank . :)

Islandoftiki
I'll do whatever I can to protect my CBS, so I may set up a trap in a couple of months and try to get the Mantis out of there. I really would like to keep a Manits, but I think I would have to set up a 3rd tank . :)

Sounds like it's time to set up a 3rd tank. You won't regret it!

You guys will like this:

animal-names.jpg

:P:lol: ....Nice :)

So, I guess I'm a member of this club now?

7600521732_17c340bc7c_b.jpg

Sweet! Nice peacock. Do you have a build thread ?

TeflonTomDosh

Quick question. My mantis (and I'm sure many others here) readily accepts food (silversides/shrimp/snails) but I looked in there earlier and he had "hidden" a piece of the silverside. Will they eat this later? In the meantime should I be concerned with spikes in ammonia due to the rotting of the fish carcass? Any input appreciated.

Islandoftiki
Quick question. My mantis (and I'm sure many others here) readily accepts food (silversides/shrimp/snails) but I looked in there earlier and he had "hidden" a piece of the silverside. Will they eat this later? In the meantime should I be concerned with spikes in ammonia due to the rotting of the fish carcass? Any input appreciated.

Feed you mantis a smaller piece next time.

I try to feed mine just enough that he can finish eating it in 5-10 minutes and has no leftovers.

If you make sure he has "live snacks" in there, you won't have to worry about underfeeding him.

I remember reading somewhere that clams are only good as treats because of the effort it takes for mantises to break them. Also, with the deeper than normal substrate of a mantis tank, your mantis may ignore it and let it burrow into the sand and die, reducing water quality.

• 3 weeks later...
MeanGreenEyes

I have a yellow mantis (P. Ciliata) in my sump for now with a 3" sandbad, LR rubble and a 4" piece of 1" pvc that is covered by rubble. She's made it her little den/cave. Planning a display fuge to be plumbed into the DT/sump for her. I'm in love with her personality. She was refusing to eat frozen foods at the store, but the very same night that I brought her home she took, ate and finished 2-1/4" pieces of silverslides that were soaked in garlic and selcon...

Photo of her...

IMAG0734.jpg

Link to thread...

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...2459&st=100

Islandoftiki
I have a yellow mantis (P. Ciliata) in my sump for now with a 3" sandbad, LR rubble and a 4" piece of 1" pvc that is covered by rubble. She's made it her little den/cave. Planning a display fuge to be plumbed into the DT/sump for her. I'm in love with her personality. She was refusing to eat frozen foods at the store, but the very same night that I brought her home she took, ate and finished 2-1/4" pieces of silverslides that were soaked in garlic and selcon...

Wow, that's a beautiful mantis. I love it.

• 1 month later...

Last night, I went to go see what may become my new baby.

It's what we believe to be a peacock mantis, although it appears to be mostly blue and somewhat subdued in color. It was hard to tell as it's in someone's sump right now. It's about 4" long and looks healthy. Unfortunately, it wouldn't play nice for the camera, and when disturbed, just kinda curled up in the back corner of the sump.

I'm considering taking him home next week and giving him a temporary home in my 12x12x12 majano tank. I know it's too small for a permanent home, but he's currently living in a 6"x12" section of a sump with a bright light and a ball of chaeto, some sand and a couple chunks of live rock.

They had a spare used tank/sump/stand, but I think it would be too small at 16" x 26" with a massive overflow section at the middle/back that takes up a lot of space. Too small if this is a true peacock and grows to 7".

I have another tank to look at that's a 24"x24" cube tank with sump and a stand. I'm also considering getting an good sized AIO frag tank, but we'll see how the used tank pans out first.

If I end up picking him up next week, I'll get lots of pictures. I need to make some adjustments to the rockwork and add some more sand bed to the majano tank in the meantime.

• 3 weeks later...

Here's a little harlequin that lives in my live rock pool. I know I have at least three in there and I inspect all live rock before shipping to keep them, but much of the rock is so porous that it's almost impossible.

mantisshrimp002.jpg

Edited by jason777
Islandoftiki

That's a pretty one! Very nice.

I'm going to rescue the peacock mantis this weekend. I've been working on getting the majano tank properly dialed in for temporary mantis habitation while I work out the details of transporting a 25 gallon tank from San Francisco to here.

So, I saw my first mantis shrimp at this crummy little fish store and am totally in love. I might need to set up another tank. He's was just over 6 inches and super active. So cute!

8057431089_a9e315d90e_z.jpg

mattidallama

So I have had a mantis in my 29 for about 3 months. But I moved him over to my fluval this morning to break down the 29 for sale. He is happy in his new home. Working in the rocks already to make his home. I will be updating my fluval thread to show my mantis in his new home

jedimasterben

Thanks for posting this, looks like mine is a viridis! :)

He almost hit me, again, last night. When making my new sump, I had just thrown his rock and a few others into one chamber. He smacked at me as I was putting him in, then when I went to move the rocks to the chamber they're supposed to be in, I had no idea which rock he was in, and he smacked at me again! He's only about 1-1.5" long, so it wouldn't be bone-shattering or anything, but I'm sure I would still immediately regret that decision :lol:

mattidallama

2012-06-30_19-07-00_138.jpg

my mantis he now lives in a 6 gallon fluval with a green clown goby and alot of macros. i had him in my biocube 29 for ages but decided to break it down and sell it.

anyone able to help id him im not exactly sure what type he is but he is a smart little guy and only about 3 inches long fully extended and has not grown any since i got him even though he gets feed very often