Cultivated Reef

Considering going Cold

gobyguy1

Hey all. I just saw the post about Micro-Reefs new temperate tanks. I'm now seriously considering buying one in the fall as my new tank. Just had a few questions:

1. Can I use live rock and live sand for regular reefs? Or will I need to get some special ordered in from the coast?

2. Is it harder or easier to maintain then a tropical reef? I'm dedicated to providing special need if I have to.

Thanks.

Not to hijack but...

What kind of stuff can you keep in a cold tank, I've got a 2 gallon laying around with a nice shape to it, And am debating whether or not to put a heater in it, since it would be hard to hide it.

I believe the bacteria will adjust on the live rock as long as its stable.

jedimasterben
Not to hijack but...

What kind of stuff can you keep in a cold tank, I've got a 2 gallon laying around with a nice shape to it, And am debating whether or not to put a heater in it, since it would be hard to hide it.

I believe the bacteria will adjust on the live rock as long as its stable.

Coldwater = ~55°F

Unless you can reliably keep your tank near that temperature year-round, you'll need a chiller.

Most coldwater corals/anemones are NPS, so you'll have to feed them.

See this thread: http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...=298349&hl=

OP, as to your questions:

1) Yes, rock is rock. I don't know if the bacteria on them will "adjust" to the coldwater or if a slightly different species takes over, but it should work itself out.

2) I'd venture to say significantly, as you must keep the temperature ~55°F all the time. Most corals/nems are non-photosynthetic (aka NPS), and you can't acclimate tropical corals/fish/etc to coldwater, so you're limited in what you can get. I'd also imagine coldwater species are quite a bit more money to stock, as well, but you'd be better off asking AquaticEngineer (he's from Coldwater Marine Aquatics, they sell cold stuff).

Coldwater = ~55°F

Unless you can reliably keep your tank near that temperature year-round, you'll need a chiller.

Most coldwater corals/anemones are NPS, so you'll have to feed them.

See this thread: http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...=298349&hl=

OP, as to your questions:

1) Yes, rock is rock. I don't know if the bacteria on them will "adjust" to the coldwater or if a slightly different species takes over, but it should work itself out.

2) I'd venture to say significantly, as you must keep the temperature ~55°F all the time. Most corals/nems are non-photosynthetic (aka NPS), and you can't acclimate tropical corals/fish/etc to coldwater, so you're limited in what you can get. I'd also imagine coldwater species are quite a bit more money to stock, as well, but you'd be better off asking AquaticEngineer (he's from Coldwater Marine Aquatics, they sell cold stuff).

Thanks for the fast reply, I really am considering it, I just love strawberry anemones!

Also, does anyone know how long a cycle will take in a 2G? I know they are long ina coldwater, but with such a small body of water, will it still be very long?

altolamprologus

Almost all of the creatures that are small enough to fit in a micro-reef will be tidepool dwellers, in which case they handle temp and salinity swings very well and are much hardier than reef dwellers. As long as you keep the tank i the coolest part of the house, the chiller micro-reefs uses will be sufficient. Tidepool anemones are often photosynthetic, although strawberries are not. But they're super sticky and easy to feed.

The main concern with a coldwater tank is oxygen levels. Coldwater naturally has more dissolved oxygen so coldwater animals are adapted to having very high levels of oxygen in the water and start to suffer if there's not enough.

Coldwater organisms have much slower metabolisms so the cycle will last around 2-3 months to fully complete. Water volume has no bearing on the cycle process.

JoshColdWater
Almost all of the creatures that are small enough to fit in a micro-reef will be tidepool dwellers, in which case they handle temp and salinity swings very well and are much hardier than reef dwellers. As long as you keep the tank i the coolest part of the house, the chiller micro-reefs uses will be sufficient. Tidepool anemones are often photosynthetic, although strawberries are not. But they're super sticky and easy to feed.

The main concern with a coldwater tank is oxygen levels. Coldwater naturally has more dissolved oxygen so coldwater animals are adapted to having very high levels of oxygen in the water and start to suffer if there's not enough.

Coldwater organisms have much slower metabolisms so the cycle will last around 2-3 months to fully complete. Water volume has no bearing on the cycle process.

Hey there I'm Josh from said cold water buisness. The tank can stand temps all the way up to 60 degrees, we keep our system 55-60 year round with no problem even deep water animals that live even in 48 degree water. As for animals there are many hard corals fish soft corals gorgonians and tons of Nano sized fish. Your cycle will be More in the 1 month time frame, if you want aquick cycle we could send you some live sand and water with ice packs if you pay shipping. Let me know if we can help. B)

JoshColdWater

I suggest using spray foam for rock, there is a Uv resistant pond foam that comes in black that we highlight with safe paint, we use rock salt to texture it. If you want real native rock we have rock that's from the quarry that's by the beach so its not taken from the ocean, I wouldn't charge anything for it but shipping also.

I suggest using spray foam for rock, there is a Uv resistant pond foam that comes in black that we highlight with safe paint, we use rock salt to texture it. If you want real native rock we have rock that's from the quarry that's by the beach so its not taken from the ocean, I wouldn't charge anything for it but shipping also.

Awesome, when I set it up in the fall, I'll PM you for some native rock, and instructions on the fake rock.

JoshColdWater
Awesome, when I set it up in the fall, I'll PM you for some native rock, and instructions on the fake rock.

Cant wait to see another thread! Welcome to the Darkside ;)

The tank will begin to be set up in mid September. I have a 650 $ budget. Planning on going with a fluffy sculpin, and lots of anemones. Only gonna be a 2 gallon though, so we'll see how it goes.

JoshColdWater
The tank will begin to be set up in mid September. I have a 650 $ budget. Planning on going with a fluffy sculpin, and lots of anemones. Only gonna be a 2 gallon though, so we'll see how it goes.

Me and Stu are collecting this weekend so all let you know if we get any cool stuff Nano sized of course, we just got in these sweet pygmy filefish that only Max out at just under three inches! :D

Micro-Reefs Aquariums
Hey all. I just saw the post about Micro-Reefs new temperate tanks. I'm now seriously considering buying one in the fall as my new tank. Just had a few questions:

1. Can I use live rock and live sand for regular reefs? Or will I need to get some special ordered in from the coast?

2. Is it harder or easier to maintain then a tropical reef? I'm dedicated to providing special need if I have to.

Thanks.

Like the Emperor (Josh and Stu) said welcome to the Darkside! :o Thanks to Cold Water Marine Aquatics and Micro-Reefs LLC we are creating a rift in the Jedi order!

No longer will there just be just tropical tanks, we are moving the force around to make some cold water changes! :P

The Galactic Empire (Micro-Reefs) is producing the 4.5 temperate AIO death star (Aquarium) that will unleash enough power to blow away any warmth to allow for more cold water critters than previously imagined!

Just around two more weeks before it makes its debut!

There are talks about an even colder tank being produced by us, that is geared towards the Alaskan folks, it's code name will be, The Hoth Planet!

Quickly R2 make a course for the Hoth system! Bring your protective snow gear and leave your droids behind they might freeze!

2irnpqr.jpg

JoshColdWater
I can hardly wait until September....

Also, will shipping to Ottawa be expensive?

We can look into it and come up with a plan action. B)

Micro-Reefs Aquariums
If I have to gut a TaunTaun and sleep in it I will.

Just try me....... ;)

That is why we stand out from the crowd! Cause I'm with you on that one! And I thought they smelled bad on the outside! :D

• 1 month later...

Cold marine are you going to be getting the gulf signal blennies? That plus a catalina goby and strawberry anemones may be enough to get me in the cold world.

JoshColdWater

We have a blenny on our site right now from the Uk, we also have zebra and catalina gobies in and corinactis californicus.

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Did someone say corinactis californicus?

24dpnrc.jpg

How about a 2 gallon temperate pico?

205unw7.jpg

Archived