Top Shelf Aquatics

Yellowtail Damsel fish reef safe?

jojo

I just put in my first fish today in my 10gallons. It's a yellowtail damselfish. Will it be safe for my tank? Will it do anything with my corals and inverts? Also will it get along well with cleaner shrimp, harlequin shrimp, maroon clownfish, cardinal long fin,gobies?I'm planning to put some in..

please give me some advice about this..thanks:)

I am convinced that those fish are satan in fish form. They love to burrow in the sand, and by burrowing I mean they love to use their tails to move all the sand out of the corner or out from under rocks. They are very preatty, but also extremely agressive. They pick on any other fish that is in the tank especially in a ten gallon, and have been known to even pick on their own kind. Other than that they are bullet proof, and even a little bit personalble once you get to know them. But I had to move mine because he was the cause of frequent rock slides.

Are you guys talking about the same fish? I always thought that the yellow tails were one of the smallest, LEAST aggressive damsels. From my personal experience they are 100% reef safe and don't bother anyone. Then again it may have just been the 2 fish that I purchased.

• Like 1
Originally posted by bladze

They are safe.  Peaceful.  They don't bother anyone and they are small.  They don't dig up the sand and anything similar.

Pfft, Yeah mine is small, but he is definately not peacefull. Picks on everyting in the tank. He constantly digs up the sand kicking it up onto everything and giving the rocks a nice dusting. Oh and I think he has mastered the art of kicking sand directly into the intake of my AQ300.

Originally posted by bladze

They are safe.  Peaceful.  They don't bother anyone and they are small.  They don't dig up the sand and anything similar.

Hows about I post a picture of my liitle tank that is housing one of these little buggers? If you have never seen them move the sand out, then you either got some other kind of fish or had one in a huge that you never notice any sand movement.

• 1 month later...
Changisbad

Yep..I'm with you guys on that one. I just got one yesterday and the little bugger is feeling pretty confident. Every time I look in the tank its a big sand storm. He digs till he hits bare bottom. Time to save the corals again...hmmm....wheres the turkey baster?

do Damsels eat pods? I have so many maybe it will help desimate my pod population a bit.

also I would like to also add:

"I just put in my first fish today in my 10gallons. It's a yellowtail damselfish. Will it be safe for my tank? Will it do anything with my corals and inverts? Also will it get along well with cleaner shrimp, harlequin shrimp, maroon clownfish, cardinal long fin,gobies?I'm planning to put some in..."

that you should have looked up the information about the fish BEFORE you just decided to buy it and throw it into your tank. And since you only have 10 gallon tank, I wouldn't put another fish in the tank, you list Maroon, cardinal, and goby fish, that is too many.

Changisbad

Well from what I have read about them they are omnivore's so they will eat all kinds of things. I have read that it is possible that some do eat pods. Mine is always picking at things (glass, rocks, etc.) This could be for pods or could be for algae. A little while ago I even saw him pick up a small white thing that looked like a pod, but then spit it out....ooppsss sand. Anyways, so far he is turning out to be alot of fun. He is very personable. I have xenia in my tank as well and he has not even gone near it. I will definately keep my eyes wide open for xenia nippping.

I add one in my tank long ago. It nipped 3 legs off my skunk cleaner, scared the heck out of my crabs, and basically made my tank a nightmare for all the critters in there. It did not dig in the dsb or nip at any corals. Had it in there for a month before I tore down the tank just to catch this devil of a fish. Yellowtail Damsels are one of the lesser aggressive damsels in the family.

Watch your shrimp and snails. Mine would eat the snails when they would fall off the glass and could not right themselves in time.

kraphtymac

Hahahahaha.... the devil himself in these fish! I had one for about 2 weeks to cycle my tank, and he moved so much sand, picked on all of my animals, and tore everyhing asunder. I got SO sick of it that I netted him and through him into a fiddler crab tank (brackish)... didn't last the night... I've got a video of him getting torn apart if anyone that has had a bad experience with them wants to see it :-)

• 1 month later...

Im guessin that we are talking about more than one species. The term "yellow tail damsel" is a common term. There are several species of yellow tail damsel, and they all have different aggresion levels. The fish in liveaquaria.com's link in my experiences, is fairly docile.

I take it your talking about a 'Chrysiptera parasema '.

This was my first marine fish 2.5 years ago and he's still going strong.

Mine does the sand kicking thing. I think he does this when I slack on feedings a little. It seems that he kicks the sand up to get the little tiny bugs n stuff into the water column for a snack.

Alternativley, he's highly territoial and definatley shows me his opinion of tank decor. If I add a frag or some algae to a position relevant to his immediate territory he will sometimes charge it out the way, .... no problem I'll move it elsewhere! :)

I think they're misunderstood if anything.

As for picking on tank mates, well they're territorial so theres the issue of space. Mine shares with a pair of yellow clown gobies. They have a highly toxic coating so he doesn't physically do anything to them. He charges and they usually just duck out the way or ignore him.

I don't think they're any worse than any other territorial fish.

• 14 years later...
Aquatic soul

Mine aren't reef safe! They have nipped at every coral in the tank..they fight with any kind or size fish I've had..even killed 2..I agree with the person that said they are satan in fish form..I'll NEVER add another to my tank, and getting them out, Haha good luck! They are one of the hardest fish to catch you'll own, I have even watched our larger one fight with the live rock and shadows. They are evil ! Even chasing their own kind for ing them to stay hidden in one spot at all times not letting him swim..

First fish I ever kept and loved it. But yes they will chase everything, try and fight you when you put your hand in the tank, harass other fish and shrimp. I never had a problem with them doing anything to corals though.

o shit old necro post

I saw the OP wanting to put a damsel, maroon, cardinals, and gobies, and harlaquin all in a 10g and my eyes about popped out... then I saw the date. 

As far as damsels go.... springers... talbots... and starkii's are more mellow. 

• Like 1