Top Shelf Aquatics

Fish ate my hermit

patback

Just out of curiosity, since there is nothing I can do now about it. Obviously fish eat crabs all the time in the oceans, but how well could a tiny watchman goby digest the shell from a hermit? One of my hermits ventures out of his shell, and I guess was hiding in a small hole in my rock untill an unsuspecting snail could come by. ( weird enough that it didn't attack the snail while in its shell. )Anyway, my YWg swooped down and sucked the dime sized hermit into its mouth. The hermit was around the Size of its head which I thought was amazing.

TheUnfocusedOne
Just out of curiosity, since there is nothing I can do now about it. Obviously fish eat crabs all the time in the oceans, but how well could a tiny watchman goby digest the shell from a hermit? One of my hermits ventures out of his shell, and I guess was hiding in a small hole in my rock untill an unsuspecting snail could come by. ( weird enough that it didn't attack the snail while in its shell. )Anyway, my YWg swooped down and sucked the dime sized hermit into its mouth. The hermit was around the Size of its head which I thought was amazing.

You mean the snail shell it was hosting or the exoskeleton?

I'm sure it wouldn't of eaten it if it new it couldn't digest it. Nature's usually pretty good like that. I could be wrong though.

You mean the snail shell it was hosting or the exoskeleton?

I'm sure it wouldn't of eaten it if it new it couldn't digest it. Nature's usually pretty good like that. I could be wrong though.

Sorry, I should have been more clear. It ate the exoskeleton. I know the white bodies are pretty soft, just a little worried about the claws basically

TheUnfocusedOne
Sorry, I should have been more clear. It ate the exoskeleton. I know the white bodies are pretty soft, just a little worried about the claws basically

Fish like that have more or less a grinding stone in the back of their mouth. They use it to mash up their food. I'm sure your pour little hermit got the full experience of that. I wouldn't worry about it.

Not to sound harsh, but I don't think there's much you can do about it at this point.

Ha, it's not like I even could have gotten a pic. One minute is was there, then it was gone. It was like my little yellow watchman turned into a large mouth bass for a split second.

• 2 weeks later...

Old topic, but If it would eat a hermit, how safe would a sexy shrimp be around this guy?:blink:

Would its safety-ness increase with a maxi mini to host?

TheUnfocusedOne

There's really only one way to find out, add some.

Each fish can be different. I don't think gobies usually eat shrimp, but you never know.

Thanks.

Tom, I used to never see mine, now it is staring out the front glass every second that the light is on because I've fed it so much. It's almost a nuissance, he doesn't watch what he's doing and swims straight into the torch, perches on my open brain and derasa clam, gets way to close to the filer pump for comfort; I really do have a stupid fish. No survival techniques whatsoever, except for hunting apparently.

TeflonTomDosh
Thanks.

Tom, I used to never see mine, now it is staring out the front glass every second that the light is on because I've fed it so much. It's almost a nuissance, he doesn't watch what he's doing and swims straight into the torch, perches on my open brain and derasa clam, gets way to close to the filer pump for comfort; I really do have a stupid fish. No survival techniques whatsoever, except for hunting apparently.

I just wonder if he was dead like, how I'd know. Seen no spike in params and no little fish skeletons either, LOL. I have seen bits of substrate disturbed in different parts of my tank tho like somethingwas digging there. Hope it's still alive...

Especially with Gobys, you always hear the " haven't seen it in 3 years, then when tearig down the tank, he was as fat as can be" stories. I'm willing to bet if nothing ate him, he's alive and kicking.

JamieSheffield

I have lost a bunch of shrimp and dozens of snails to some phantom menace in my tank...no corpses, ever...the latest disappearance was a pistol shrimp, which I would have thought could fend for itself...

Jamie

If the pistol Is gone, I wanna bet that you either have a very big hh pistol, or a mantis.

Do you have any Lps on the sandbed? My Favia ate a dwarf Cerith.

If the pistol Is gone, I wanna bet that you either have a very big hh pistol, or a mantis.

Do you have any Lps on the sandbed? My Favia ate a dwarf Cerith.

I doubt a mantis, in a fight between a mantis and a pistol the pistol often wins

Archived