Cultivated Reef

Obsidian 70–75% SiO2, + MgO, Fe3O4

NewZealandReefie

NewZealandReefie
Wow those zoas are awesome!! The Americans probably don't appreciate how awesome, but for AU/NZ those are top notch!! Nice find.

IKR! I'm absolutely stoked with them, it's actually quite a decent size rock too. I have three locals who want to buy a bit of them off me, one who's even willing to do me a straight swap for a couple of Floridas!

So what did you have to do to get all those algae to die off ? Anything special or they died because of lack of nutrients in your tank's water ?

I manually removed a bit before putting them in my tank so the zoas themselves would get decent light but other than that the algae has just died off, as you say, from the lack of nutrients in my water :happy:

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very nice tank!I love those Deep Water Acros....

How hard is to get descent livestock in NZ?

my wife is thinking that we could move there...I ve read you can buy only aquacultured corals and fish..is that right?

NewZealandReefie
Very nice tank!I love those Deep Water Acros....

How hard is to get descent livestock in NZ?

my wife is thinking that we could move there...I ve read you can buy only aquacultured corals and fish..is that right?

Cheers :)

It can be difficult to find decent corals for affordable prices in stores, the key here is getting to know fellow hobbyists. Basically anything nice that I own, I've been given and/or traded for.

If you ever do move over here look me up on here or reefkeepers.co.nz (local forum, I'm NZR there) as I'd always be happy to help get you started again :D

The majority of our fish and corals are wild caught and imported. That said, things like Clowns, Banggai's etc are tank breed. My Orchid Dottyback was also locally tank raised, he's an awesome fish.

NewZealandReefie

You're welcome.

In other news I've just arranged to go and pick up some orange Ricordea Florida and a few Acan Lord's this weekend! Squeeee excited!

NewZealandReefie

New stuff:

Acans

Acans.jpg

Orange Floridas

OrangeFlorida.jpg

castiel, you're probably yet again one of the only people who will appreciate how totally stoked I am with these :D

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
NewZealandReefie

Had a New Years spring clean of the tank.

Top down shot:

20130101_120647_zps2a1ef9e0.jpg

My green bali slimer is growing like crazy and everything looks fantastically healthy and bright :happy:

New stuff:

Acans

Acans.jpg

Orange Floridas

OrangeFlorida.jpg

castiel, you're probably yet again one of the only people who will appreciate how totally stoked I am with these :D

Holy mother of GOD, I am on the same page as far as coral choice. They are awesome!!!! congrats.

NewZealandReefie

Cheers JR, they were quite a find. The guy I bought them off is a friend through reefing. He had a dude in Auckland who wanted them but he'd been putting off posting them because he didn't want to #### around with heat pads etc. Then I saw his classified and txted, he got rid of them to someone local and I got an amazing score. Only paid the price of one polyp for all those floridas :P

sweet deal, you should frag them and make some $$$$

edit; happy new year, hope you haven't spent all day recovering.

NewZealandReefie

Yeah I'm gonna sell a few off shortly.

I've had an ok day. Didn't stay up for New Year, went to bed early. I'm not much of a drinker either lol.

• 2 weeks later...
NewZealandReefie

Fragging things to sell next weekend. Exciting :D

Heaps of fantastic growth and lots of new yumas, floridas etc popping up.

NewZealandReefie

I wish guys.

Looks like I'll be shipping most to Christchurch. Here's hoping they don't have any more big earthquakes and the guy I'm sending them to doesn't lose another tank.

• 5 weeks later...
NewZealandReefie

If I had a camera worth a damn I might post more updates. but I don't so I won't. Here are some spectacularly disappointing shitty photos:

I do love my purple torch

20130217_130817_zps9ccac28b.jpg

20130217_130759_zpsdd02bf9d.jpg

20130217_130941_zps31e588b8.jpg

• 1 month later...
NewZealandReefie

Sold some frags last weekend, got a bit more than I expected for them.

Tank is ticking along nicely, I miss having a decent camera so bad :( will try to get some updated shots this week :)

FINALLY bought test kits again. I hadn't tested anything since I moved the entire tank home in September. Alk was a touch low and Cal could do with being about 200 higher, all in all a good result.

• 1 month later...

Archived