Top Shelf Aquatics

Rock Aquascaping Tips

CAmor07

If i had the money to buy a mp10, haha but with my job at mcdonalds i dont make that much ):::, although more than most 15 year olds

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Perhaps you are putting too much emphasis on what the reefscape looks like and not enough on its function. Let me try to explain. take a look at buddythelion pic above that is a pic of his tank of inspiration right? Now tell me just how much of the rock you can see. Every time you add a a coral the reefscape changes. Many corals come on a sizable rock as well unless you are going to stock it with just frags.

What you should be aiming for is caves, ledges and overhangs. Places to attach and place corals onto. What looks nice now will be 90% obscured by the corals you choose when you have added your last coral. What do you think the bare reefscape looked like before corals were added to buddythelion inspirational tank? In alI honesty I haven't got a clue what it looked like but its a great looking tank I think you will agree.

Me thinks you worry too much about how your bare reefscape looks now rather then what you want to achieve. Think with vision and have a goal for 6 to 12 months then another 2 years down the line.

Spirofucci
Perhaps you are putting too much emphasis on what the reefscape looks like and not enough on its function. Let me try to explain. take a look at buddythelion pic above that is a pic of his tank of inspiration right? Now tell me just how much of the rock you can see. Every time you add a a coral the reefscape changes. Many corals come on a sizable rock as well unless you are going to stock it with just frags.

What you should be aiming for is caves, ledges and overhangs. Places to attach and place corals onto. What looks nice now will be 90% obscured by the corals you choose when you have added your last coral. What do you think the bare reefscape looked like before corals were added to buddythelion inspirational tank? In alI honesty I haven't got a clue what it looked like but its a great looking tank I think you will agree.

Me thinks you worry too much about how your bare reefscape looks now rather then what you want to achieve. Think with vision and have a goal for 6 to 12 months then another 2 years down the line.

Spot on again atoll!! Another tip is to look from the top down so you can see where the corals will grow best. In other words look how the light will be hitting your structure.

Very well stated atoll

Cheers but really when you come to think of it its just common sense. Sure there are great looking tanks where you see a lot more of the living rock but esp in a nano these will be few and far between. All the great scaping in the world without corals is just like a skeleton without flesh, skin and mussel on it IMO. The living rock is there primary to provide biological filtration and to support corals The later is done by creating a platform for your corals to sit on or attach to. OK so aesthetics do come into it but no as much as the others IMO.

When your tank is fill of corals the water movement between the rock work is inhibited/reduced and dispersed by the corals. At that stage you may find you need move water movement to supplement the the flow that the extra rocks and corals break up. This is no bad thing however IMO.

I have a hell of a lot of flow in theory in my 94L tank made up of 1x Tunze 6055 on a Tunze pulse timer, 1x 750 Maxi-jet pump 1x 1200 maxi-jet pump. 1 Rio Polario 7ML alternating wave pump 1x Eheim Eco pro canister filter.

Total flow around 15000 L/H. Sure I have plenty of water movement but its dispersed water movement with nothing getting blasted. The 2 Maxi-jets are the return filter pumps and the Rio Polario is situated at the back of the reefscape pushing water dispersed around from the back to the front. Do I have too much flow? Na don't you believe it. :) Check out my video attached to my sig for confirmation.

Spot on again atoll!! Another tip is to look from the top down so you can see where the corals will grow best. In other words look how the light will be hitting your structure.

Yep also important thanks for adding it I missed that one out :o

I also like to keep my reefscape off the rear wall to aid circulation as with my Rio Polario 7ML pump which is situated on the back wall of my filter doing a great job.

I'm having the same issues with a smaller tank haha I have an Aqueon Evolve 8gallon, and have noooo idea what to do with it. I just cant figure out what to do-___- If anyone wants to help me as well, that'd be awesome. My first tank also.

I'm having the same issues with a smaller tank haha I have an Aqueon Evolve 8gallon, and have noooo idea what to do with it. I just cant figure out what to do-___- If anyone wants to help me as well, that'd be awesome. My first tank also.

Just read back plus I did a guide in the DIY section you might find of interest and helpful. However beauty is in the eye of the beholder. You have to have a clear idea in your head what it is you want to achieve. Try doing a few sketches first and when you have decided on the one for you set about building it with all the tips provided.

buddythelion
I have the 420 right now, dont you think with another, even a 220 will be like to much for mushrooms and polyps

Once again, I have a nanocube 12, and yet I opted for three koralia nanos, two of which are the 420s. The thing with the nanos is that over time the algae builds up and the flow decreases as well. The koralias tend to spread water around rather than pump water in a strong straight flow, so the flow isn't crazy. When placing your water flowers, try to make it so that water is circulating everywhere in your tank, not just at your corals. It's so that you can worry less about "deadspots," areas where there is little to no water flow and debri can accumulate there the most. I used to run just one 420, but got a second one and it was revolutionary for my tank. You can find them used for about $20.

MP10 is NOT a necessary piece of equipment. It's just a nice toy if you have the money. Koralias are sufficient for now. If you really really want a wavemaker, the koralia wavemaker costs only $60, which is still less than an mp10. I might get one though because the koralias do take space in the tank, but it's in the air because I don't need it but would be nice to have.

theres a ton of space for corals, i love the cave just a little sketchy about the on like rock across the top

post-73232-1336159346_thumb.jpg

I think im going too, after a billion changes i finally got it. Thank you to everyone who helped me!!!!!!

Also i have a few questions

Why has my tank still have like sand dust on the rock, i have filter floss in there to get rid of it and i clean it out, but it never goes away. Espacially when i use the turkey baster. It cloud s up everything

And Secondly

I just while turkey basting found this dead shrimp like creature at the top of my tank!!!! It was only probably a 1/16 on a inch. but it looked creepy. i tried to get a pic, but couldnt because of its size): Crappy iphone camera!!!

Any guesses,

JamesHL88
I think im going too, after a billion changes i finally got it. Thank you to everyone who helped me!!!!!!

Also i have a few questions

Why has my tank still have like sand dust on the rock, i have filter floss in there to get rid of it and i clean it out, but it never goes away. Espacially when i use the turkey baster. It cloud s up everything

And Secondly

I just while turkey basting found this dead shrimp like creature at the top of my tank!!!! It was only probably a 1/16 on a inch. but it looked creepy. i tried to get a pic, but couldnt because of its size): Crappy iphone camera!!!

Any guesses,

The sand dust is probably from all the moving rocks around over and over. Its been keeping the dust suspended. Now that you have let it sit for a few days its settling down. Your CUC and fish will disperse it in time.

The 1/16 inch "shrimp" is most likely an amphipod. Very benificial part of the CUC. Look at your tank late at night with a flashlight and you will probably see alot of them scurry away.

And if your worried about the stability of that top arch then get some reef puddy and pack some around the parts where it contacts the other rocks. It will harden up and be super stable. Thats how the arch in my 55 gallon is done.

Thank heavens for little mercy's I thought you would never be satisfied with it :lol: Looks good now so leave it be. -_-

Now just remember that will be the last time you see it like that once you start adding corals etc. :lol:

You were right it was amphipods, although i think it died):

Thank you everybody, if it wasnt for you guys i'd still be moving them around right now(;

One last question

I order supplies from Pismo-reefer, i well known reefer on here, its been 2 weeks since he said he shipped it, it still hasnt arrived. I have sent 3 messages to him and no response, Anyone know what else to do or whats happening from past experiences?

• 4 weeks later...

Archived