Pod Your Reef

new kessil A350.. just out***post your pics***

randythefishdude

Why is it that every post that I've seen you on your bashing someone or something, talking down to some one or vigorously arguing a point that doesn't make sense!? I've seen quite a few now

ROFLMAO. really? He's arguing that a single point light produces shadows because you fan boys can't seem to accept simple physics of light. If you have any doubt, please walk outside and stand in the sun, or under a light pole if it happens to be nighttime. Look down, and you'll see this thing called a shadow. After having done that, walk back into your office that is lit from above by multiple light sources. Let me know when you find your shadow.

Once you grasp that simple concept, come back here and lets have a conversation amongst adults as to why a single light dangling in the center of your tank is perhaps the most dreadful excuse for a lighting concept that anyone could possibly conceive.

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply
buddythelion
ROFLMAO. really? He's arguing that a single point light produces shadows because you fan boys can't seem to accept simple physics of light. If you have any doubt, please walk outside and stand in the sun, or under a light pole if it happens to be nighttime. Look down, and you'll see this thing called a shadow. After having done that, walk back into your office that is lit from above by multiple light sources. Let me know when you find your shadow.

Once you grasp that simple concept, come back here and lets have a conversation amongst adults as to why a single light dangling in the center of your tank is perhaps the most dreadful excuse for a lighting concept that anyone could possibly conceive.

Seriously? I'm sure all of the corals in the ocean who just happen to live and grow from the sun are doing terribly.

Seriously? I'm sure all of the corals in the ocean who just happen to live and grow from the sun are doing terribly.

Odd how the earth moves around the sun and rotates on its axis, thus lighting those corals from varying angles throughout the day and seasons!

thegambler26

I wasn't speaking of just this thread there's been multiple from him that I've seen. I don't care about light and shadows. I understand the concept. I never said anything against it. Perhaps you should read what I posted until you grasp the concept. Then maybe your right we could have a conversation like adults instead of just negativity.

I wasn't speaking of just this thread there's been multiple from him that I've seen. I don't care about light and shadows. I understand the concept. I never said anything against it. Perhaps you should read what I posted until you grasp the concept. Then maybe your right we could have a conversation like adults instead of just negativity.

You were indeed speaking of this thread. It's not his fault that a bunch of morons are online arguing things that defy physics and simple logic.

thegambler26
You were indeed speaking of this thread. It's not his fault that a bunch of morons are online arguing things that defy physics and simple logic.

I was partially speaking of this thread, read back far enough and you'll see where he was talking down to people and arguing about some nonsense. When I said "I WASN'T SPEAKING OF JUST THIS THREAD" it should've clued you in that this one was included in what I was saying. I notice you only have like six posts and jump on this thread to defend some one. Either you know the guy personally or you are him under another name defending yourself. Either way I don't care anymore. Not worth the time really.

I was partially speaking of this thread, read back far enough and you'll see where he was talking down to people and arguing about some nonsense. When I said "I WASN'T SPEAKING OF JUST THIS THREAD" it should've clued you in that this one was included in what I was saying. I notice you only have like six posts and jump on this thread to defend some one. Either you know the guy personally or you are him under another name defending yourself. Either way I don't care anymore. Not worth the time really.

Well, I actually did read the whole thread today. Everyone else seems to be discussing lighting except you. No one made you devolve this discussion except yourself. You did that on your own.

Since you mentioned it, I found you can click on a persons information, and after getting a few errors from the server about flood controls or some other nonsense, you can see a persons previous posts. Oddly, I find Blueprintguy offering help to other people on skimmers, lighting, business ideas, and livestock among other things. I can't seem to get to your profile, but I'd love to see how helpful you are. Please also make up your mind about whether your comment was about this thread or not.

Now, if we could get back to the light itself.

thegambler26
Well, I actually did read the whole thread today. Everyone else seems to be discussing lighting except you. No one made you devolve this discussion except yourself. You did that on your own.

Since you mentioned it, I found you can click on a persons information, and after getting a few errors from the server about flood controls or some other nonsense, you can see a persons previous posts. Oddly, I find Blueprintguy offering help to other people on skimmers, lighting, business ideas, and livestock among other things. I can't seem to get to your profile, but I'd love to see how helpful you are. Please also make up your mind about whether your comment was about this thread or not.

Now, if we could get back to the light itself.

Haha:) so I went back and read your eight posts most of which you were arguing with me or someone else. The ONE you werent arguing you were giving bad advice! Ha what a joke!!

Haha:) so I went back and read your eight posts most of which you were arguing with me or someone else. The ONE you werent arguing you were giving bad advice! Ha what a joke!!

LOL. I do find your antics entertaining. Oddly, I actually want to discuss reefing.

I get a content not found. You must have to be friends or something. Perhaps you could save it and repost if that's OK?

First, us "morons" have no problem whatsoever understanding the concept of a "shadow". We just don't agree that its a big deal. The light works great, and looks great. that's enough for me, and I'm sure there are plenty of others who like it as well. here's an idea: if you don't like it, don't buy one. no need to convince everyone else that it will nuke your corals and burn your retinas. Then you can just sit back and laugh when us "fan boys" lose all of our corals in a huge coral bleaching/melting event. I'll even let you tell me "told you so". But don't get your hopes up, as my corals are growing rapidly and coloring up nicely.

riotjock: seeing your low post count makes me think troll

bluprntguy: my eyes are wide open, thanks. still think it looks great. your condescension makes you seem so smart. you're bound to win all of the arguments you start on here.

All right then, back to that adult conversation...

Isn't shadowing an issue for any led fixture? I know you can increase coverage by organizing several In to clusters, but you're still dealing with 12+ individual points of light. I don't remember seeing the LED lit tank with out that problem.

I guess what I'm asking is how big a difference this actually makes? Not to be argumentative, I've been comparing fixtures and so far it boils down to spectrum vs. spread. A nice spectrum is worthless if it doesn't reach what you need it to, and vice versa for spread. The thing is, I can't see that the spread its so negatively impacted on the kessil to make it worthless, particularly since getting the complete spectrum to any point in the tank, even with a Radion, seems difficult. The funny thing is that this comparison just gets more on point with a deep tank, since you have more shadowing with the kessil, but you need tighter optics on other builds (depending, of course.)

I should point out that I'm still an led noob, since I'm still rocking Evil's Par38's.

This thread is hilarious...

Regarding shadows, that's one of the reasons people pick metal halides or LEDs. Some enjoy the visual "depth" they bring to a tank. Some prefer a more even blanket of light that T5's give. Regardless of your personal preference, I certainly don't see this as some negative attribute specific to the Kessil itself.

All right then, back to that adult conversation...

Isn't shadowing an issue for any led fixture? I know you can increase coverage by organizing several In to clusters, but you're still dealing with 12+ individual points of light. I don't remember seeing the LED lit tank with out that problem.

I guess what I'm asking is how big a difference this actually makes? Not to be argumentative, I've been comparing fixtures and so far it boils down to spectrum vs. spread. A nice spectrum is worthless if it doesn't reach what you need it to, and vice versa for spread. The thing is, I can't see that the spread its so negatively impacted on the kessil to make it worthless, particularly since getting the complete spectrum to any point in the tank, even with a Radion, seems difficult. The funny thing is that this comparison just gets more on point with a deep tank, since you have more shadowing with the kessil, but you need tighter optics on other builds (depending, of course.)

I should point out that I'm still an led noob, since I'm still rocking Evil's Par38's.

AI Sols have two rows of lights on a substantial footprint, so it seems it would be better.

I agree the difference in a Kessil, radion, or one of those AI nano things is probably negligible as far as shadowing, at least front to back. The radion and nano both have two pucks side by side.

dailydriven911
This thread is hilarious...

Regarding shadows, that's one of the reasons people pick metal halides or LEDs. Some enjoy the visual "depth" they bring to a tank. Some prefer a more even blanket of light that T5's give. Regardless of your personal preference, I certainly don't see this as some negative attribute specific to the Kessil itself.

Agreed! :)

Agreed! :)

Odd, I just saw hours of people claiming that the Kessil's don't produce shadows around edges. Now it appears that it's suddenly a benefit and well accepted fact. Do they or do they not produce shadows?

Are we talking shadows around the edge of the tank, or because something is blocking light from a single point light source?

From what I've read, no to the first, maybe to the latter, but not to such a huge degree that it's ineffective, since everything but Fluorescent fixtures shadow to some degree.

Odd, I just saw hours of people claiming that the Kessil's don't produce shadows around edges. Now it appears that it's suddenly a benefit and well accepted fact. Do they or do they not produce shadows?

If you looked at these lights you would have your answer.

Kessil, along with other tight LED clusters and metal halides cast shadows. Kessil, like halides, cast shadows that actually look like shadows. This look is drastically different from tanks lit by even spaced arrays of LEDs. (and don't diffuse them) You get LEDs filling in and tinting the shadows cast by neighboring LEDs. This results in the disco effect of seeing blues, and whatever other colors you're running, in the shadowed areas. It's pretty artificial looking.

Are we talking shadows around the edge of the tank, or because something is blocking light from a single point light source?

From what I've read, no to the first, maybe to the latter, but not to such a huge degree that it's ineffective, since everything but Fluorescent fixtures shadow to some degree.

I was talking about the latter and agree, everything shadows somewhat.

dallasprstn
Seriously? Are you looking at the same photos? Do you know what a well lit tank looks like? Do you see that every single one of the rocks and corals have been pushed to the back half of the tank so that it's behind the light? I guess if you only want to use half of your tank, this is great!

if the light is hung above the center of the tank, wouldnt the corals in the back of the tank be just as lit as the corals in the front half? because they'd be the same distance from the light?

I should have known better than to use something as sophisticated as an analogy.

I thought I pointed out why that was not an analogy. An analogy is a comparison of similar things. Lighting a stage and lighting an aquarium are not similar things. You're using literary concepts and words without having a complete understanding of their meaning. There was nothing complex or sophisticated being said, just a bad comparison.

riotjock: seeing your low post count makes me think troll

Exactly.

I thought I pointed out why that was not an analogy. An analogy is a comparison of similar things. Lighting a stage and lighting an aquarium are not similar things. You're using literary concepts and words without having a complete understanding of their meaning. There was nothing complex or sophisticated being said, just a bad comparison.

You thought wrong. You said: "If we try and follow your analogy..."

The definition of analogy: "a similarity between like features of two things, on which a comparison may be based"

Perhaps if your arguments and grasp of the english language were better, you wouldn't have to resort to bullying to win arguments.

Exactly.

I didn't realize there was a minimum number of post required before we could join a discussion. Some welcoming committee BTW.

You thought wrong. You said: "If we try and follow your analogy..."

The definition of analogy: "a similarity between like features of two things, on which a comparison may be based"

Perhaps if your arguments and grasp of the english language were better, you wouldn't have to resort to bullying to win arguments.

-Ironic coming from the name-calling bully.

I didn't realize there was a minimum number of post required before we could join a discussion. Some welcoming committee BTW.

You've done the equivalent of busting the doors open to a group of strangers and proceeded to be confrontational and insulting to everyone you "meet". Use some social skills and respect and u are more than welcome.

Archived