Cultivated Reef

Wholotta wawa - 180G Reef - Taste the Rainbow

MikeTR

Not sure about the distance the GHL can pump, no mention of it in there site. I think it goes by height not distance, am I right. Well look what I found while trying to find out...Deal on GHL packages

Im thinking to pick one up myself. $766. USD wow.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's a lot for a dosing pump. Yowzers. Well it turns out BRS just sent the wrong item. They're shipping the correct one and a return label for the other.

That's a lot for a dosing pump. Yowzers. Well it turns out BRS just sent the wrong item. They're shipping the correct one and a return label for the other.

It's a full reef controller and dosing pumps with probes and power bar etc. Made in Germany.

More delays ! Sorry to hear. :rolleyes:

OK I see that. Well one thing that attracted me to the apex, other than great reviews, is the wireless module to control the vortechs.. and since they're on a different circuit, this is crucial. Not that I probably couldn't do it manually, but this makes it easier.

Me toooooo... can't believe how ready I am to get some water in this. So far it's about 8 months in the making.. but a lot of planning and research involved and not cheapin out on any equipment. I spoke to someone from our marine society and he mentioned using thin walled pvc as I'll get better flow rates. He has a bunch left over from his 265g build and was supposed to come over yesterday evening but got caught up at work.. so now it looks like Saturday morning.

Got most all of the plumbing work dry fitted and ready to be glued. Also buried the cinder block and laid the pavers on top which will serve as a base for the deck box.. aka chiller house. Possibly overkill but definitely won't have any issues with it sinking in the dirt.

Nice!

Mine's a throwback pomeranian.

He weighs about 17 pounds! His name is Goose

I wish I could find another throwback but they are rare and considered bad genes by some snobs.

IMG_1729.jpg

IMG_1744.jpg

Mine is a teacup pom which is also one of the controversial breeds. At 4lbs, he's about a lb more than the breeder said he would get, and I expect he'll be between 4-5lbs. Standard weight is about 7. Like the second pic.. haha..

sorry to keep sidetracking from your awesome build but I couldn't help but notice that everyone in Florida has mesh nets over their yards in the suburbs. Why is that? mosquitos? I visited one of my friends not too long ago.

Got most all of the plumbing work dry fitted and ready to be glued. Also buried the cinder block and laid the pavers on top which will serve as a base for the deck box.. aka chiller house. Possibly overkill but definitely won't have any issues with it sinking in the dirt.

Redoing most all of the plumbing work.. :( For the best though. Didn't like the location of the outlets for the reactors. They were too far spread out and were gonna get in the way of working in the sump. Gonna have to strap some of the plumbing to the back of the stand now, which I was trying to avoid, but don't have a choice. I am so worried I'm going to have an issue in the future and won't be able to get to the plumbing, but pvc shouldn't leak so I'm just gonna shut up and go with the flow. I should be able to slide the pipe out of the strapping anyway. It's only the 3/4" stuff so it's not too heavy.

Much happier with how the plumbing turned out. It's still not glued.. but almost there.
plumbing.jpg

still trying to decide if I want to hard plumb my drains or keep the flex hose..

Just a quick run down on the manifold. One of the gate valves will control the flow to the calcium reactor, the other to a phosphate reactor, ball valve to a carbon reactor and will leave one spare if I want to add something else down the road.. there's a T pointing down as well behind the skimmer with a ball valve to control the flow to the skimmer feed. Just before the initial 90 upward there's a T that will shoot water outside to the chiller. The extra piping on thes on the left is so that I can cut off flow to the chiller and still have water flowing through the left return. That way if I need to service the chiller or bring it inside for a nasty storm I can do so.

Best part about it is all this stuff fits under the stand..

Took a little bit of planning.. but the fittings were less than a bunch of separate pumps and should cost around $10 a month to run just the one pump for everything! Won't have any heat from pumps going into the water at all.. the halides will probably add enough though.

• 3 weeks later...
Much happier with how the plumbing turned out. It's still not glued.. but almost there.

plumbing.jpg

still trying to decide if I want to hard plumb my returns or keep the flex hose..

Can you please come over and plumb the sump in casa Kat. :bowdown:

Is that a proflex?

Goal is to have water in it by this coming weekend. I have Wed, Thurs & Friday off so should have plenty of time. Everything's all glued up and strapped except for the 2 lines going to the outside and the skimmer plumbing. Originally I was going to run plumbing to dump the skimmer effluent back into the first chamber with the socks, but then realized that would add another 600gph through the sump and so instead I'm going to get a 6" piece of pvc about a foot or so tall for the 3rd chamber. Got the idea from someone in my local reef club. It will have a 90 on it against the side of the pipe so water is swirled into the 6"pvc - all the water will go out the bottom slots and any bubbles will get collected in the vortex and rise to the top... I can then dump the CA effluent in the same pipe as this will have the highest concentration of O2.

Goal is to have water in it by this coming weekend.

Were holding you to this, pics with water by Friday night :P

Archived