Pod Your Reef

Water temp is high.

Iam King

Since the weather is getting warm today tank temp is at 82 degrees. What could be done to get the temp down.Tank lights have been off for hours.

what type of lights do you have?

might want to invest in a chiller

for the time being...you can put some water bottles in the freezer then throw them in the tank when frozen to lower the temp

Prop lids and aim a fan at the tank. Do a top off with slightly cooler water. Turn on the AC in your house or put a window AC in the room where your tank is.

what type of lights do you have?

might want to invest in a chiller

for the time being...you can put some water bottles in the freezer then throw them in the tank when frozen to lower the temp

Lights T5.

Amphiprion1

A fan would be the first option. For the time being, 82 actually is acceptable, as are slightly higher temps in most cases. However, as it gets hotter into the summer, you may experience more issues if you don't have any way of lowering the temperature just in case.

reelhotdonzi
Lights T5.

I have seen a lot of remedies for your 82 degree water temp but have never had a problem with it. I have a reef tank for twelve years now and my temps rise about 6-8 degrees everyday. From 68-76 in the winter and 76-82 in the summer. I have never owned a chiller because I always felt that was for people that run metal halides and the water would just be way too high(90). I do have a heater but only if my hvac for my house goes out. I have always had stonys, soft leathers and zoos, some fish but no large ones. Reef tanks are the easiest aquariums to keep, keep your hands out of the tank (bacteria) and please dont feed the fish more than the smallest pinch everyday, ph is the most important to me so always have ph buffer on hand.

I had a similar problem with my lighting warming the tank up ... you can go buy a fan, or wire up a cheap computer fan... mine's plugged into the same timer as the metal halide.

Photo%202012-04-16%202%2053%2042%20AM.jpg

C.I._Reefer
I have seen a lot of remedies for your 82 degree water temp but have never had a problem with it. I have a reef tank for twelve years now and my temps rise about 6-8 degrees everyday. From 68-76 in the winter and 76-82 in the summer. I have never owned a chiller because I always felt that was for people that run metal halides and the water would just be way too high(90). I do have a heater but only if my hvac for my house goes out. I have always had stonys, soft leathers and zoos, some fish but no large ones. Reef tanks are the easiest aquariums to keep, keep your hands out of the tank (bacteria) and please dont feed the fish more than the smallest pinch everyday, ph is the most important to me so always have ph buffer on hand.

old boy mentality, and oh just so much wrong info... :welcome: to NR, Stick around, you can learn alot here. First lesson, PH is not something you want to chase, and you should pretty much forget you have a PH test kit for the most part. If your other params are right, and your gas exchange is good you will NEVER have to chase PH.

Since the weather is getting warm today tank temp is at 82 degrees. What could be done to get the temp down.Tank lights have been off for hours.

how hot is it around where you live? dont run your heater during the day. see if that helps, also check your heater. I found out mine would heat my tank to 82 when I set it to 74. After a while, my tank crashed, I thought it was the hot weather and MH lighting I was using that raised the temp that high.

a few years out of the hobby, and finally got back in. Same issue. lost a few good fish and coral, when I finally realized it was my heater causin this to happen in the slightly colder months of the winter w/ LED (which producses less heat)

how hot is it around where you live? dont run your heater during the day. see if that helps, also check your heater. I found out mine would heat my tank to 82 when I set it to 74. After a while, my tank crashed, I thought it was the hot weather and MH lighting I was using that raised the temp that high.

a few years out of the hobby, and finally got back in. Same issue. lost a few good fish and coral, when I finally realized it was my heater causin this to happen in the slightly colder months of the winter w/ LED (which producses less heat)

85 During the day.

65-74 at night.

Has anyone ever made RODI ice cubes? The weather went nuts and the temp climbed to the mid-80's here today. Tank was 80.8 when I got home and it's usually 78. I'm thinking about putting an ice cube tray full of RODI in our basement freezer and using them instead of topping off when the temps get high. Thoughts?

C.I._Reefer
Has anyone ever made RODI ice cubes? The weather went nuts and the temp climbed to the mid-80's here today. Tank was 80.8 when I got home and it's usually 78. I'm thinking about putting an ice cube tray full of RODI in our basement freezer and using them instead of topping off when the temps get high. Thoughts?

Not a bad idea, but i wouldnt do a thing unless your temp exceeds 83-4.

80 isnt a bad temp, and if anything you will get a bit more growth at 80-82 than 76-78

Archived