Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Unofficial "TANKED" Season Two Discussion

Euphyllia

altolamprologus

I watched it just to see if they changed anything and I'm actually kind of surprised. They seem to have cut out a lot of the pointless jokes and they made a few comments about the care of the tanks and fish.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I watched it just to see if they changed anything and I'm actually kind of surprised. They seem to have cut out a lot of the pointless jokes and they made a few comments about the care of the tanks and fish.

True. The tank they put the fish in looked obviously newly set up when they were adding the sharks... So yeah. That didn't change.

altolamprologus
True. The tank they put the fish in looked obviously newly set up when they were adding the sharks... So yeah. That didn't change.

But someone said before that they may use precycled sand and such, which makes sense. They also said after the tank was set up they would return in 3 weeks with the sharks. Idk if that was because the construction guys had to finish or what, but it's a start.

But someone said before that they may use precycled sand and such, which makes sense. They also said after the tank was set up they would return in 3 weeks with the sharks. Idk if that was because the construction guys had to finish or what, but it's a start.

True dat, true dat. I really liked the freshwater tank, so many fish though! Overstocked IMO... But very pretty fish for the pencil lead. :D

altolamprologus
True dat, true dat. I really liked the freshwater tank, so many fish though! Overstocked IMO... But very pretty fish for the pencil lead. :D

They actually overstocked the cichlids for a reason. African cichlids are extremely territorial so if you don't put very many, they all establish territories and rip each other apart if one enters another's territory. If you overcrowd them, they can't establish territories and there's little aggression. Kinda like damsels. Or maybe they just packed a bunch of them in there just to make it pretty :huh:

They actually overstocked the cichlids for a reason. African cichlids are extremely territorial so if you don't put very many, they all establish territories and rip each other apart if one enters another's territory. If you overcrowd them, they can't establish territories and there's little aggression. Kinda like damsels. Or maybe they just packed a bunch of them in there just to make it pretty :huh:

I don't think they're intelligent enough to stock them for that reason, so it must just be for them to look pretty.

I really do not like having them represent the aquarium industry (ambassador)

Even the tanks aren't great...

USE REAL ####ING CORAL!

Then we'll see...

A better show would be a couple of veteran aquarists (have tanks themselves) who go around and fix tank crashes (viewers call in) so they "pimp" it out so to speak, fixing the crash relaying facts and helpful tips to the viewers on things to avoid and solutions for the wide variety of problems that a beginner may face. A extra thing would be a before and after (maybe show the tank a year later)

Throughout the show they could do a unboxing or two

30 mins

However they won't just completely overhaul/strip the tank to add fancy equipment

They use practical methods and use real coral

Need to tank a breath, that was a mouthful! :P

My thought entirely.

Although the show did get my parents the idea of buying me a 55 gallon tank, or at-least liking that idea of me owning one! They seem to love the tangs and when I say a 29 won't work(since everybody here and everywhere says no lol :) ) they are into the 55 more and more.

They actually did use real coral one episode in the first season. I believe they also let the tank cycle for a month...

Amphiprion1

The new season might be closer to living up to being on "Animal" Planet... I haven't watched it myself yet, but I'm hearing at least what may be some steps in what many consider to be the right direction.

I think a lot of you are missing the point of the show.

It is called "TANKED", about how they manufacture unique aquariums for clients, not another episode of "Planet Earth" where they talk about animals, or "Dirty Jobs" where Mike gets a run down of how waste is pumped around a factory..

I think the show is pretty good at showing us that an aquarium can be more than a rectangular, cubed, or cylinder container of water. They bring tank display to a whole new level, more like a work of art, than a box of water on a wooden stand.

gearhead364
I really do not like having them represent the aquarium industry (ambassador)

Even the tanks aren't great...

USE REAL ####ING CORAL!

Then we'll see...

A better show would be a couple of veteran aquarists (have tanks themselves) who go around and fix tank crashes (viewers call in) so they "pimp" it out so to speak, fixing the crash relaying facts and helpful tips to the viewers on things to avoid and solutions for the wide variety of problems that a beginner may face. A extra thing would be a before and after (maybe show the tank a year later)

Throughout the show they could do a unboxing or two

30 mins

However they won't just completely overhaul/strip the tank to add fancy equipment

They use practical methods and use real coral

Need to tank a breath, that was a mouthful! :P

I would totally watch something like that!

I think a lot of you are missing the point of the show.

It is called "TANKED", about how they manufacture unique aquariums for clients, not another episode of "Planet Earth" where they talk about animals, or "Dirty Jobs" where Mike gets a run down of how waste is pumped around a factory..

I think the show is pretty good at showing us that an aquarium can be more than a rectangular, cubed, or cylinder container of water. They bring tank display to a whole new level, more like a work of art, than a box of water on a wooden stand.

Yup. Somebody gets it at least.

I would totally watch something like that!

But that would be boring for the average person... :unsure:

Amphiprion1
Yup. Somebody gets it at least.

But that would be boring for the average person... :unsure:

I understand the concept completely. That doesn't mean I have to necessarily like or agree with it, despite that this is the reality. That being said, logically speaking, why would you air it on a channel devoted to animals, lol? That's more like poor placement--and partially why it did not meet my expectations.

The average person is boring.

lol, a more blunt way of putting it. Average sells, though.

The average person is boring.

Yes, but they know that not! :)

I understand the concept completely. That doesn't mean I have to necessarily like or agree with it, despite that this is the reality. That being said, logically speaking, why would you air it on a channel devoted to animals, lol? That's more like poor placement--and partially why it did not meet my expectations.

Hey, there's probably like zebra keepers that are PO'd on other forums about how Animal Planet doesn't show like how they freaking feed properly or something. IDK... It's probably not just us that have ab one to pick with this show... Like maybe dog trainers have something against what is taught in those dog trainer shows, maybe one of her practices is controversial. Who knows... It's just reality TV. We are the average people to cat keepers who may not like cat shows on Animal Planet, if you think about it. :rolleyes:

Has anyone been to the Tanked website and noticed there is a link to an aquarium guide on Animal Planet?

Its pretty decent and does highlight the importance of the nitrogen cycle and patience.

when a show has to much "knowledge" in it, it becomes a lecture and gets boring and many lose interest. They wouldn't e able to capture the audience they currently have. The die hard aquarist now (because it's the only thing to watch related to aquariums) and the random people that are just like wow that tank looks cool. the dumb comedy is just to make the show entertaining

For those of you that watched it, did you notice the water they used for the shark tank? All the boxes looked like it was "ready to use" saltwater.

Has anyone been to the Tanked website and noticed there is a link to an aquarium guide on Animal Planet?

Its pretty decent and does highlight the importance of the nitrogen cycle and patience.

I got a book from Animal Planet about reef tanks which helped me set up mine. It's pretty legit, probably as legit as a wallaby would be.

For those of you that watched it, did you notice the water they used for the shark tank? All the boxes looked like it was "ready to use" saltwater.

They actually specificly stated on the episode that the water they used for the shark tank was natural sea water. :P

I see they added a lot more about "responsibility" for all you #####ing last season

Way to ruin a good show

Oh no you diiiiii'iiint! :o

I see they added a lot more about "responsibility" for all you #####ing last season

Way to ruin a good show

Can't ruin an already bad show :/

Archived