Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Cynobacteria help

Kazooie

Chrisl1976

I'm in the same battle here, but I pretty much have mine figured out to feeding I think. I just added fish 3 weeks ago so I never feed the tank. Up until that point, I never had a spot of slime. I feed them flake food twice a day......Mix in Rod's orignal blend every other day or so.

Would cranking up the skimmer to really wet skim help pull more nutrients out of the tank?

Since I have a JBJ28 with the open rear chambers, I was considering growing from red Mangro's out of the back. Would this help?

0514121243a.jpg

here's another solution--maybe not ideal but it worked for me

I recently had some terrible cyano problems due to laziness and neglect of my tank--I couldnt seem to get it back under control by WCs and changing chemical filtration media

so I took out all of the rocks and vacuumed up the top layer of the sand bed and recovered it with "fresh" bagged live sand. in a 5 gal bucket I made sure to knock off any debris/cyano on the rocks I took out

then put everything back how it was

ever since then everything has been a-ok--just make sure to reduce your feedings, maybe light, keep on top of WCs and change your media after you 'hit the reboot button' like that

Chrisl1976

I have read that elsewhere is just to carefully scrap off the top layer of sand. That is great for a quick nice looking back. Like you said, you still need to solve the underlying issue.

I went away for this past weekend so they were not fed for 2 days. 70% of the slime was gone sunday night. Monday morning most of it was back since I fed them.

If your going to siphon off the top layer of sand, don't even replace it. I believe if your going to have any kind of sandbed at all, you need to siphon deep down and stir it up with every water change. Dont let anything build up. Live rock should be the primary means, and more than enough for biological filtration.

It also looks like you have a crap load of a CUC. Your rocks also look pretty clean. Could you have lost some of the CUC due to starvation, and now your battling high nutrients? Try changing the flow in the tank. Put that Koralia on the back wall, and point it down towards the sandbed. Blow off the rocks daily, and scoop or suck out any cyano, whenever you see it.

chemiclean - piece of cake - follow instructions and under dose if anything

+100

used this on my tank never came back in over 2 yrs..... make sure you follow directions

Chrisl1976
It also looks like you have a crap load of a CUC. Your rocks also look pretty clean. Could you have lost some of the CUC due to starvation, and now your battling high nutrients? Try changing the flow in the tank. Put that Koralia on the back wall, and point it down towards the sandbed. Blow off the rocks daily, and scoop or suck out any cyano, whenever you see it.

I may have lost some of the CUC to starvation. They have picked that tank pretty clean. The two emerald crabs don't help them either eating everything thing in sight. One of them was even stalking my cleaner shrimp one day....LOL

I typically do about 10%-15% WC a week. The nano is the back is a 240 that I use to push flow through the rock work. I have another 425 on the left side that I'll adjust to blow down the left front. I also redirect the sump outputs on the sides to blow down as well.

I may have lost some of the CUC to starvation. They have picked that tank pretty clean. The two emerald crabs don't help them either eating everything thing in sight. One of them was even stalking my cleaner shrimp one day....LOL

I typically do about 10%-15% WC a week. The nano is the back is a 240 that I use to push flow through the rock work. I have another 425 on the left side that I'll adjust to blow down the left front. I also redirect the sump outputs on the sides to blow down as well.

Keep one of the returns pointed up, to get surface breakage. Get the 425 as low as possible, down the back wall. Put the magnet in the rear chamber, and slowly guide the 425 down till its about 3 inches off the sand bed, and point it straight. This way it will give you good flow across the bottom, without kicking up sand from a direct current.

If your going to siphon off the top layer of sand, don't even replace it. I believe if your going to have any kind of sandbed at all, you need to siphon deep down and stir it up with every water change. Dont let anything build up. Live rock should be the primary means, and more than enough for biological filtration.

I disagree--my sandbed is only an inch or two but it's PACKED full of life

I see new things everyday. it's constantly being stirred and what have you

I strongly believe all of the extra life and the larva my sandbed produces has a large impact on the overall health of my tank

but to each his own

also--I always see new bubbles in my sandbed--that's no3 being converted into n2, proof that it's actually doing something in terms of filtration

I disagree--my sandbed is only an inch or two but it's PACKED full of life

I see new things everyday. it's constantly being stirred and what have you

I strongly believe all of the extra life and the larva my sandbed produces has a large impact on the overall health of my tank

but to each his own

also--I always see new bubbles in my sandbed--that's no3 being converted into n2, proof that it's actually doing something in terms of filtration

I wont argue. What works for one person, may not for another. Theres a pretty good thread in here somewhere, about the sand vs. no sand debate. I fall on the side which believes deep sandbeds in small tanks are traps.

nathanq.inc

I got rid of cyano by changing my lighting from pc to led and moving away from prepared lfs salt water to my own using r/o and d-d reef salt.

What kinda lighting you using?

Archived