Cultivated Reef

another id needed

krillin

I don't believe in the concept of safe or unsafe Asterina's. :lol:

Ive had harmless normal ones munch on star polyps, but I have also had lots in all kinds of color configurations that have not touched anything.

Unless its an animal that is a definitely known pest I tend to go with innocent until proven guilty.

Captain Hook
I don't believe in the concept of safe or unsafe Asterina's. :lol:

Ive had harmless normal ones munch on star polyps, but I have also had lots in all kinds of color configurations that have not touched anything.

Unless its an animal that is a definitely known pest I tend to go with innocent until proven guilty.

I agree with this, theres some things that are considered 'pests' just because of majority opinion, and those that are actually factual. I have a few in my tank and each time I see one i just pluck it and banish it to my sump where its more useful. I have white and grey ones and I havent seen either eating anthing, actually never seen my sandsifting star eat anthing either lol so I would imagine it must be quite difficult to observe unless there was a trail of evidence? I believe they can be a problem when they are munching on coralline to the point its not seemingly growing back at a sustainable rate. However I have also heard that its a good thing for some of them to eat coralline because they spread coralline cells around the tank when it is digested and expelled. Any species that can overcome the reproducing rate of another more desireable one, is fair to say is a 'pest' or could be considered one. ex. mantis shrimps...pet or pest? lol theres a little early morning philosophy for ya lol

Builder Anthony

If its that small you dont really have asnything to worry about.It should give you time to realize what it eats.I have about 100 stars and there are times they do eat corals but they will shoot for algae first.Its when you run out of algae when you should really worry but they do seem to like certain stony corals which they find as a treat.If you can design a tank around them there ok.They do go after certain zoas and palys but they wont touch a blue paly i have i guess it has toxin in it because thats been in there months but they will go after zoas.You might have a differnt type then mine because of the dot on the center but that may just be a pattern.It takes them a long time to eat something so just take it off of there when you see it chewing on something you dont like.I would give it a chance like i said if you develop a tank around it you should have no problem and you could have 50 in there and there pretty cool to see all on the glass.they also tend to go after things dying which in my book is good.They will go after something developoing brown slime.I rather have them eat the brown slime then have it wipe out a tank.

Ok thanks all. I will keep an eye on him. And that's not very difficult because he is reeeeally slow. Moved about an half inch in 10 hours :D.

Archived