Pod Your Reef

OMG! Brain Coral is eating my Azure Damselfish

dtum

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Am I the only one that thinks the fish was either dying or dead?

I've had brain corals before. and there was no way it could catch a fish, even with its' tenatcles out! As a matter of fact, my Picassos used one as their host!

hpim2056rt9.jpg

little_ocean_treasures

My clown likes my brain too but don't they have a natural coating to keep from being stung by corals and from being "tasty"? lol Mine I don't think could eat a fish but my fish other than the clown don't go near it either. ;)

Am I the only one that thinks the fish was either dying or dead?

I've had brain corals before. and there was no way it could catch a fish, even with its' tenatcles out! As a matter of fact, my Picassos used one as their host!

You are not the only one, I am guess the fish was on it's way out already.

OMG! Now that is interesting! How many other fish are in this tank? You gonna keep the tank just for corals, or you gonna try to keep a different kind of fish?

clowns hosting a brain, really cool!

My clown hosts my brain coral. He wedges his way into the folds and tries to sleep there. It is kinda of pathetic to watch.

To each and every one of you who think that the fish was on its way out or was doing bad... you can only take my word for it, but I can assure you that the fish was doing great. There were no signs of stress and this hardy fish is was doing great up until the moment the open brain caught it. I have two more fish in my tank and they are doing great - six line wrasse and a fire fish goby, who were for couple of months. If anyone does not believe it I can post videos.

Finally, I am measuring all of my water parameters very frequently and you can see all of them here (as a proof):

http://www.aquaticlog.com/showcase/measure.htm?aquariumId=1

You can also view my detailed diary here:

http://www.aquaticlog.com/showcase/diary.htm?aquariumId=1

RayWhisperer

I've read about open brains eating fish, as well as elephant ear mushrooms. I've just never seen it actually happen.

I have, however, seen my mini scoly eat a dwarf cerith on two occasions now.

Some of you may wonder what happened next. I shot this final video in these series here:

The coral looked like this for the whole morning, but when I was away at work, roughly 12 hours after the incident, the coral had expelled the fish, or whatever was left of it. The skin was gone and some of the flesh. The rest became lunch for the crabs, snails and shrimp. And that's the story of my open brain coral.

dude you made reefbuilders! Awesome!

Yeah, my coral is now a celebrity. It has its own entourage and a twitter page, will no longer any foods other than freshly caught damselfish, and started throwing tantrums. ;)

Seriously.

That is a good looking piece and in robust health. It is firing on all cylinders and doing what it is supposed to do.

Reefers forget that brains are meat eaters and try to make them live on light and nutrients.

Buy some frozen silversides and feed him one a week.

I would be glad and enjoy having an excellent specimen rather then one of the malnurished, under developed one I see in tanks and fish stores.

RayWhisperer
I've read about open brains eating fish, as well as elephant ear mushrooms. I've just never seen it actually happen.

I have, however, seen my mini scoly eat a dwarf cerith on two occasions now.

I'll correct that now.

This morning my mini scoly had a third dwarf cerith.

I'll correct that now.

This morning my mini scoly had a third dwarf cerith.

my scoly is always spitting those things out..lol.. I see the empty shells laying next to it...or it actually coming out of the mouth.. pretty funny..

i have no doubts that this brain caught and ate a healthy fish. my open brain ate one of my clown fish before. and that was after the fish had been hosting the open brain for almost a year.

Archived