Coral Vue Hydros

Catch the bad hitchhiker crab!

Celine

I notice a bad hitchhiker crab in my tank. I don't think it is a reef safe crab. It is around 1.5 cm big. It moved do fast and hides inside the rock.

Any suggestion on how to catch it, pls?

is it one of these? http://www.chucksaddiction.com/hitchcrabs.html

when I added live rock I got 3 of them(1 of each of the top 3 ones they show pics of at that)... Easiest way to catch them I found was chase them into the liverock, and pick that piece out, and look carefully for them with a flash light, and poke em with a with a pencil they will scoot out into the bucket fast.

Some people I read also recommend dumping liverock in freshwater for a few seconds cause the hitch hikers generally will jump off.

I don't suggest fresh, but hyposaline isn't a bad idea. You only need to shift the specific-gravity a few points under 1.022, as long as the shift is rapid, a crustacean should react and run out of the rock. Use fresh and all sorts of little stuff you don't see living on the live rock will simply die upon contact.

Sorry, I failed to mention that I cannot move the rocks. All my coral attached to it. The crab is hiding in the hole inside the rock. I tried to poke it out but it moves to other hole, very annoying.

Archived