ReefCleaners.org

Prices are ridiculous!

Blennylover14

Worth remembering that few inland LFS actually make a profit. Let me show you a map.

1. Gets gold fish as a kid.
  2. Tries fresh water fish preteen.
  3. Makes the leap to salt on 18th birthday. Parents not pleased.
  4. Takes down tank, gets own place, can't afford the hobby.
  5. Gets real job, starts building "The ULTIMATE Reef, ya'll" piece by piece.
  6. Starts swapping frags.
  7. Joins the local club.
  8. Buys more tanks.
  9. Keeps a couple things over night for a friend
  10. Starts buying dry goods in bulk.
  11. Friend asks to borrow a heater.
  12. Friend asks to borrow some carbon.
  13. Friend asks to buy that prized new frag.
  14. Sells frag to buy more dry goods.
  15. Epiphany! Puts up neon sign.
  16. Informed by IRS that business licence required.
  17. Say hello to your newest LFS! :)

It's a labor of love designed to support one's own habit. Go too far off the deep end and you'll end up an LFS, by default. Occasionally, someone business minded will get into saltwater with a real plan. But more often than not, it doesn't matter. Reefs are a luxury if there ever was one and nearly every LFS I've seen here has followed the same boom-bust scenario.

I tossed some numbers together on what's required to fragging for a living. You're not going to be making much money unless your frag tank water volume is in the 1,000s.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Eh. There's really not a market for it. That's why they can jack it up, because the corals are relatively hard to get here and SW LFSs are pretty rare. <_<

find a local club and ask for free or cheap xenia. You might have to drive a distance to pick them up, but i'm sure you'll get a better price than $19.99 a stalk

HecticDialectics

Lfs have to charge a lot to stay in business. Do you all think they pay their rent and electricity bills with magic?

i've given xenia and kenya away for free to people i dont like so it completely ruins their tanks

:lol:

I owe you one drink.

I'm right next to the port of Oakland, second largest port on the west coast. There's 2 marine wholesalers that I know of within a 10 minute drive from me.

OMG! THOSE OCCUPY PROTESTERS WERE BLOCKING SHIPMENTS FROM THERE! THEY WERE KILLING OUR LIVESTOCK!

I have a new level of hate for them. <_<

buddythelion
I'm right next to the port of Oakland, second largest port on the west coast. There's 2 marine wholesalers that I know of within a 10 minute drive from me.

Yeah but... can you get in the wholesalers?

Lfs have to charge a lot to stay in business. Do you all think they pay their rent and electricity bills with magic?

Also, lets not forget the percentage of expensive live stock they lose. Cost of water changes, light fixture changes, tank maintenance, etc. Think of what it cost you to maintain your tank per week and multiply that times 10-20 tanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure what wholesalers that you're talking about but I'll take your word for it, I'm not in the biz. All I know is that people will fly to Los Angeles to visit the wholesalers and have their orders shipped back. I know a guy that will drive down there once or twice a month to pick up livestock. If the quality was up here I'm certain he wouldn't be driving 6 hours each way, in one day mind you, to buy livestock. That's all I'm saying. Better than Colorado though, I suppose.

I can't complain, there are two LFS close by that have a $5.99, $10, $15, and up sections. Of course if you want the designer stuff then expect to pay $$$ but IMO its not worth it. My tanks have always been filled with colorful pieces that might have been designer but who cares as long as it looks good. The trick is to become friends with all the LFS employees, thats how I get like five or six frags for like $10-15.

Just the other day I came home with some chemipure, filter floss, 2 zoa frags, a Xenia frag, an acro a new fishy, 10g of sw and a mag float all for $35. Like I said it all depends on who you know.

Last time I was in Denver I stopped by Elite Roof, it was nice.

Elite reef is cool. I live in Boulder, CO so its pretty close. I also love aqua Imports in Boulder. The owner is super cool and helps me out with anything I need

I live 5 minutes from Elite and go there often. Check out www.marinecolorado.org There are a lot of vendors on there that are hobbiest that run frag tanks at their house. Very good selection and prices. Also, send me a PM if you are looking for something specific. I don't have a lot, but know a few guys that do.

Archived