Coral Vue Hydros

fifty50's Reef Octopus 32g

fifty50

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply
hahaha looking awesome, when you going to start adding corals/fish?

Yesterday. Everything from the ADA was transferred and has been broken down already. Only one tank running. Wife is happy (lol).

Will wait a few weeks for things to settle before I start adding anything new.

hrmm. JBJ Unibody 108? 54 not enough light so I'll wait for the 108. I know, I know, it's not an AI or Radion, but I don't need a light stand or hang from the ceiling with the JBJ! hrmmm.....

a trio of flasher wrasses or a midas blenny, and some trimma gobies. :)

I had a Midas in the ADA and it was such a great fish. Definitely high on the list!

yeah that doesn't sound too bad, that or the kessils 350

Yea. I'm in no rush so I'll wait for the release of the unibody108 then decide. Wonder if a single Kessil A350w is enough for 24x17x17.

• 2 weeks later...
Soo any update?? :D

Not really. Just letting things settle down. Decided to go without running a filter sock. Changing them every few days and cleaning them would get old real quick. Rocks and sand has a bunch of algae on it now so I pulled the trigger on a cleanup crew from John's suggestion at reefcleaners.org. Should take delivery today.

I think I'll start mounting all the coral to the rock this weekend as well. Slow and steady!

CUC in the tank and already getting to work!

Big thanks to John at reefcleaners.org. Second order from them and still a pleasure.

Photo updates! Some coral glued to rock in the tank. Removed some LR from the old tank and still have some more in there as you can see from the photos below. Will give it another 2-3wk's before I eventually remove it as well.

Only other update is that I checked levels before/after a water change and Ca/Alk/Mg a tad low so will start dosing B-Ionic 2Part this week.

SPS with a bit of algae and bubbles on the rock:

IMG_0096.JPG

IMG_0097.JPG

IMG_0099.JPG

IMG_0106.JPG

IMG_0108.JPG

left side:

IMG_0113.JPG

right side:

IMG_0109.JPG

FTS 5/13 middle LR to be removed eventually:

IMG_0083.JPG

full profile (excuse my wife's bag in the photo!):

IMG_0115.jpg

Thanks for looking!

o wow nice nice nice!!!! btw the algae is taking off fast. Better get back to scrubbing that haha

Thanks!

Ahh, maybe I'll take a brush to it and let the skimmer handle it. I've always just let it naturally run it's course.

That rock layout is going to be sick for sps. Are you going o e swap next week?

Thanks! I actually dislike aquascaping but this one came up without issues. Plenty of horizontal and vertical space for coral AND plenty of open swimming space for the fish. I'm thinking a Midas blenny and a school of blue/green chromis; probably 3.

I WISH I could make the swap. Will be on LI to celebrate mothers day since my parents were out of town this week. Will definitely have to make the next one though.

That tank is swank!

Thanks!

get some anthias :D. more colors, the better.

Eh, I was thinking of a different color for the tank. Already have the reddish/orange with the black ice clown pair. Get some yellow with the Midas blenny, and blue/green chromis school should be a nice touch.

How's the cycle going along??

to be honest, haven't really been testing for it but I'm sure the LR from the previous tank has taken care of it. CUC has taken care of a majority of the algae on the sand and rock. although, the nerite snails are pretty damn lazy! past few days have just been hanging out in corner of the tank at the water surface.

will be picking up a few goodies from a local reefer next weekend!

ORA PerlBerry

Garf Purple Bonsai

Aussie Yellow Acro

Jesus Stag

Aussie Pink Acro

ORA Valida

i've gotten frags from this guy before. very nice stuff. he's becoming my dealer -_- haha

Deleted User 4

ooo nice, by the way. What do you dose in your tank to maintain those sps?? I feel like trying sps but heard they're hard to take care of.

For a while I didn't dose anything or ever test but started to 2-3mo ago. Alk/Ca/Mg levels were low with weekly water changes although didn't lose any SPS. Currently dosing with B-Ionic 2 part but I think I'll switch to BRS 2 part because of the amount and price it is. SPS def looks better when keeping the levels in check. Noobie mistake on my part.

ahhh I see. What about mag.. what do you dose for that?

nada. just water changes for that. i'm not a chemist, but i believe keeping Ca and AK in check, keeps Mg in check as well. or was it the other way around.

BRS 2 part comes with a Mg buffer. once you get that level, you dose Ca and AK.

Archived