Pod Your Reef

ATO in the display

masami93

I am thinking about setting up a nano tank, possibly a 12" cube.

My question is about having an auto top off system in the display since a sump won't be an option for me.

In this case, I'm looking for one that won't be as obtrusive to the look of the tank. I know the tunze osmolator is one of the most reliable ATO's out there, but does anyone have any pictures of it inside their display tank?

Feel free to chime in about reliable yet discreet ATO systems.

lagunastudio

crazy haha i just posted a very similar thread.. I've been searching for the past 30 minutes trying to find out what the tunze sensors look like mounted. I'm kind of in the same boat, don't think it would work with my HOB fuge so trying to find out what it would look like in the display, I think its big and terrible looking. It's 2012 you would think they would have something much slicker than this by now..

I'm updating my response I just found this thread.

Apparently the sensor on the tunze unit is very discreet. Sorry to respond without any experience with the product. Doing the same research and though I'd share.

Thanks for the headsup!

I still would like to see if anyone provides some pictures so I can expect what my tank will look like with the ATO inside the display.

lagunastudio

Does anyone use the Tunze ATO in the display? It would really help if someone could chime in here. I'm leaving for vacation soon and am planning to buy this Friday. I really need to see what the sensors look like attached to the display. please help?

doppelganger

yes I've used it in a 20G long as well as a 10 gallon. It works just fine. Just keep in mind that you can't run the water level as high because there's a minimum distance you're suppose to have between the sensor and float. Tho I can't quite remember what it is off the top of my head. It won't work as well vs a sump but it still works. It just might come on a bit more frequently because any surface disturbance from powerhead's/hob filters. Keep the surface disturbance in mind tho. Don't have too many waves.

It looks exactly as you expect it to look... a giant circular magnet on the back haha. You can run it in 2 configurations. 1 magnet with both switches on it (you'll have a lower display water level as you can only adjust the gap between the two sensors so far) or 2 magnets. The float on one and the sensor on the other. (requires more space in you display but you can probably get the gap between the 2 closer) I stick with the 1 magnet cuz I still prefer to err ont he side of caution and not try and get the two sensors too close. Also 1 magnet is less fugly.

Hope that helps.

this is my osmolator in my 33L

IMG_2707.jpg

IMG_2709.jpg

i've since moved the topoff tube so it sits right over to top of the float valve, was having issue with my galexi getting doused with cold fresh water and it didnt like that at all.

nyknicks4412

Get an Avast ATO...they come in a nano version and if you look at my build thread there are some pics of it in my 10 gallon tank. Very unobtrusive and very reliable.

The Tunze ATO sensor is pretty unobtrusive. I have it located in the display, but will move it into the sump once i get that going.

Good luck!

Archived