Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Jacob's angler tank

Jacob042426

Jacob042426

a new tank!

no-time-to-explain-follow-the-snoop-dogg.gif

no way! :lol:

here is the plan:

my bar mitzvah is coming up and people have been asking me what i want.

i have been dying for an angler and have been commenting on other threads and asking asking questions.

i want mostly macros and some shrooms and zoas, so im not planning on upgrading the filter and lights as of now.I dont want to have my family and friend to spend too much money on me so this is what i think i am going to tell them. :)

one of these: http://www.petco.com/product/117958/Corali...CoralifeBioCube

20 of these: http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store/produc...m-eco-rock.html

one of these: http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store/produc...eo-heaters.html

and 2 of these?: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod...mp;pcatid=23760

what else should i plan? i wil get ls and seed rock at my lfs, and i already have salt, test kits, etc. from my pico.

thanks in advance for the help!

-jacob! :)

• Replies 487
  • Created
  • Last Reply
altolamprologus

Don't bother with the powerheads. Anglers don't like a lot of flow (especially babies) so the stock return pump will be more than enough. Other than that it sounds good. Just make sure you plan on spending $20 a month on food for the rest of the angler's life in case it doesn't eat frozen.

Jacob042426

yeah, i plan on making my 10g fw tank a mollie breeding tank. :)

thanks for stopping by, im very happy that you approved! :D

oh, and i also plan on having bit of nps too. :D

altolamprologus
yeah, i plan on making my 10g fw tank a mollie breeding tank. :)

thanks for stopping by, im very happy that you approved! :D

oh, and i also plan on having bit of nps too. :D

A molly breeding tank sounds good, but I would use mollies for no more than half of the angler's diet. Saltwater fish are the best food (I feed mine chromis and damsels at least twice a month) and frozen marine shrimp and fish are great too. The occasional gut loaded ghost shrimp is a good way to sneak some flakes or pellets into his diet.

NPS are great additions, just be careful what species you get. A lot of NPS are very sensitive to even tiny amounts of nitrates and phosphates and would suffer in a high bioload tank.

Jacob042426

i think i will keep a yellowtail damsal or two in the tank so i wont have to go to the lfs too often. can you use frozen shrimp from a bait shop, or use marine grade?

altolamprologus
i think i will keep a yellowtail damsal or two in the tank so i wont have to go to the lfs too often. can you use frozen shrimp from a bait shop, or use marine grade?

Damsels learn pretty quick to stay away from the angler. My two I have left have been in there for weeks and aren't being eaten. You can use shrimp from the bait shop, but I personally don't trust it. It's not meant as food so you never know what they do with it.

Jacob042426
Damsels learn pretty quick to stay away from the angler. My two I have left have been in there for weeks and aren't being eaten. You can use shrimp from the bait shop, but I personally don't trust it. It's not meant as food so you never know what they do with it.

ok,i wont use bait shop shrimp. it is really gross, its just that i go there alot. would the bioload be too high if i still got a damsel? it would be nice to have something in the water column.

bryanphillips

Its collected from the same place but bait is prepared and processed in unsanitary conditions/means because its not intended to eat. Publix seafood or grocery store is fresher and pretty much the same price anyways.

altolamprologus
ok,i wont use bait shop shrimp. it is really gross, its just that i go there alot. would the bioload be too high if i still got a damsel? it would be nice to have something in the water column.

It depends on the size of the angler, but that shouldn't be too much. Get a damsel that's smaller than the angler so that if he does eat it, there's no risk of him dying.

Jacob042426
It depends on the size of the angler, but that shouldn't be too much. Get a damsel that's smaller than the angler so that if he does eat it, there's no risk of him dying.

ok, most yellow tail damsels that i see are about an inch long, so that isnt a problem.

Its collected from the same place but bait is prepared and processed in unsanitary conditions/means because its not intended to eat. Publix seafood or grocery store is fresher and pretty much the same price anyways.

that isnt a problem either. :lol:

both the bait shop, and publix are down the street from me. the baitshop is just cheaper. :P

Jacob042426

also, what other filtration should i plan other than macros and floss? chemi-pure elite? i dont think i will use chaeto or purigen because of the amount of other macros i will have.

altolamprologus

You can use chemi pure elite, but you don't need to. Just keep an eye on water params and adjust your filtration accordingly

My suggestion is to get a tank that's shorter lengthwise as anglers are ambush predators and don't move too fast. Put in rock without excessive holes prey can escape into, then fill tank with colorful macros.

Keep mollies in torturous small chamber in back of AIO tank.

Jacob042426
looks good and oddly that angler u want is cute nvr thought id every say that..lol but gl with the set up

Thanks!

Which pico model would be best? I guess I'm not going to get reefsaver rock, so I'll probably get Fiji.

Depends on your rocks ape and angler species. The tuberculated requires way less room than a maculatus. Personally I'd go For a manta15 or something about 12in tall but that's just me.

Personally I'd go For a manta15 or something about 12in tall but that's just me.

I'm curious to see how yours will turn out.

Jacob042426
Depends on your rocks ape and angler species. The tuberculated requires way less room than a maculatus. Personally I'd go For a manta15 or something about 12in tall but that's just me.

Should I just ask Chris for a custom one? I am going to anticipate getting a maculatus just in case I can't find a tuberculated.

Should I just ask Chris for a custom one? I am going to anticipate getting a maculatus just in case I can't find a tuberculated.

Yes tell him I sent you. Ask for 5-10% off

Archived