inTank Media Baskets

40 Breeder Skimmer

basicfisherman

I've been using a Reef Octopus 160. Had it my 40, kept it for the 65 upgrade.

I have no complaints other than the PVC used is metric, but that's not a big deal for my setup.

I'm using the eshopp Skimmer PHK75 or something along those lines. From what I'm seeing they are now using a different style of pump. My scare with them could be a fluke and I am leaning towards that. Love the skimmer overall and it is doing one heck of a job. I have a mag drive 3 pump on it right now to replace the stock pump. A new one is in the mail already because this one is obnoxious loud.

I have been throwing some ideas around on setting up a 40 breeder. I stumbled across a couple nice threads to use as sample setups. There have been a few people using a knock off skimmer from ebay that was a cone skimmer. I can't seem to find the threads and was wondering if anyone knows of the skimmer I'm talking about. If not any good ideas for a good skimmer for under $200?

I would suggest a Seaside Aquatics CS1 skimmer, but thats gonna be about 50.00 shy. If you like to DIY, I would suggest buying the kit from Avast marine , 170.00 and 85.00 for the PSK1000 pump. http://www.avastmarine.com/ssc/do/product/...one-Skimmer-Kit

if no DYI is for you , you can get them online from 260-349.00

But like others have mentioned, you won't be unhappy with either a Bubble Magus, Reef Octopus, SWC,Eshopps,Tunze. But buy as big as you can , cause one day you might decide to go to a bigger tank. No such thing, as to big of a skimmer for my tank. It will just stop pulling skimmate, then you can just shut it off for a while or put it on a timer per say.

But on other forums there are some dudes , that have a area of expert advise. I look for their input. like for say on lighting , that be Grimm Reeper, and Skimmers is MOJO... just food for thought. I have been having a hard time deciding on a new skimmer for my heavy stocked 40B , and I was gonna go with a BM hero 180, but I am ordering a CS1 skimmer myself , only cause I like the sicce PSK pumps, and I had them on my old eshopps. loved the skimmer, and sandy at eshopps has taken care of me in the past every time. but kinda hard to pass up a deal on a Seaside Aquatics CS1 for 270.00 ( that is the BM 7 /ATB mix )......

Hope this may help ya , fellow reefer !

I'm using the eshopp Skimmer PHK75 or something along those lines. From what I'm seeing they are now using a different style of pump. My scare with them could be a fluke and I am leaning towards that. Love the skimmer overall and it is doing one heck of a job. I have a mag drive 3 pump on it right now to replace the stock pump. A new one is in the mail already because this one is obnoxious loud.

I rocked that skimmer for a year... Loved it , wasn't silent. just didn't want the skimmer hanging on the tank any more...

Archived