Top Shelf Aquatics

Innovative Marine Nuvo 16 Protein Skimmers

CaliReef408

No, you got to clean the inside of the tube, the larger bubbles wont travel up it very easily to make effective skimming. If you are cleaning the entire tube in the actual skimmer than yes, do not clean that. Only clean the collection cup tube only. You didn't ruin anything, those corals will be fine. I have some micro bubbles at first, but then they go away eventually for the most part (there are a few that get through every once in awhile). You can place your floss down stream from the skimmer to pick them up and that should resolve that issue if you keep having itm, but I dont think you will need to.

OK cool ! I just took off the cup and cleaned that, I did not clean the main body...yea the bubbles are pretty bad. I changed my media and added chemi pure elite to one of the chambers. My new skimmate is white and chalkyish... pretty clean tho.

telcodave

i got my im skimmate desktop installed on my nuvo 16 last night. microbubbles are crazy! the water in my tank looks carbonated, lol. it's a bit noisy as well. i'll give it some time to break in and see what happens.

i got my im skimmate desktop installed on my nuvo 16 last night. microbubbles are crazy! the water in my tank looks carbonated, lol. it's a bit noisy as well. i'll give it some time to break in and see what happens.

yea mine did this as well.. looked like soda water lol... Mine went away at 7 days then I cleaned the cup out and they came back.. I have to clean the cup again today and Im wondering if it will keep coming back. They usually calm back down the next day.. Skimmer works great tho

telcodave
yea mine did this as well.. looked like soda water lol... Mine went away at 7 days then I cleaned the cup out and they came back.. I have to clean the cup again today and Im wondering if it will keep coming back. They usually calm back down the next day.. Skimmer works great tho

Mine calmed down a bit today, but, i like to turn the skimmer off while i feed. When i turned it back on it was back to soda water. I surely hope it goes away soon as the bubble are totally irratating some of my corals.

I'd rather use the space for an In-Tank fuge basket..

I was going to order those today. With the skimmer, I have the media chambers and one extra fuge chamber. Ill probably get the in-Tank pack of three. what should I put in them as media and the fuge basket?

I was going to order those today. With the skimmer, I have the media chambers and one extra fuge chamber. Ill probably get the in-Tank pack of three. what should I put in them as media and the fuge basket?

If you add a skimmer and the In-Tank 3 pack (2 media baskets and 1 'fuge) then I don't think you'll have room for a heater.

I am currently running stock media baskets with no fuge, heater in one of the baffles, and an ATO in the return pump's space. I will be replacing the standard baskets with In-Tank's, as well as adding a fuge basket to the opposite baffle that the heater is in.. and I will continue to run my ATO.com Nano ATO in the return pump's section. I will only have some chaeto in the 'fuge and I plan to light it with THIS LIGHT.

Edit: Forget to mention my filter media.. I am currently running just filter floss and 2 small bags of carbon, 1 in each. With the In-Tank baskets I will continue to run filter floss, chemi-pure or BRS carbon, maybe purigen if need be...

If you add a skimmer and the In-Tank 3 pack (2 media baskets and 1 'fuge) then I don't think you'll have room for a heater.

I am currently running stock media baskets with no fuge, heater in one of the baffles, and an ATO in the return pump's space. I will be replacing the standard baskets with In-Tank's, as well as adding a fuge basket to the opposite baffle that the heater is in.. and I will continue to run my ATO.com Nano ATO in the return pump's section. I will only have some chaeto in the 'fuge and I plan to light it with THIS LIGHT.

I actually have my heater laying flat on the bottom of the return area under the "dead area" under the skimmer chamber, I have the aquatop heater wth LED so I can read the temp. So my third chamber is free.

I actually have my heater laying flat on the bottom of the return area under the "dead area" under the skimmer chamber, I have the aquatop heater wth LED so I can read the temp. So my third chamber is free.

Nice! One step ahead :)

• 7 months later...

I have had the SkimMate skimmer on my nuvo 16g for over 6 months and I can tell you they are junk!! I had microbubbles at first, but they go away and come back again. It also overflows all by itself! Two days ago it was skimming fine with very little microbubbles, then yesterday it just started overflowing. I tried to adjust it but nothing worked. I could not raise the skimmer out of the water high enough to lower the water level in the skimmer. I took it out and cleaned the air tube and put it back into the tank. All good, until I woke up this morning and it was overflowing again!!! Turned it off!!!!

I have had the SkimMate skimmer on my nuvo 16g for over 6 months and I can tell you they are junk!! I had microbubbles at first, but they go away and come back again. It also overflows all by itself! Two days ago it was skimming fine with very little microbubbles, then yesterday it just started overflowing. I tried to adjust it but nothing worked. I could not raise the skimmer out of the water high enough to lower the water level in the skimmer. I took it out and cleaned the air tube and put it back into the tank. All good, until I woke up this morning and it was overflowing again!!! Turned it off!!!!

I had some of the same issues when I had a GHA problem. Basiclly the gha I was pulling off clogged the sponge and caused it to overflow. I cleaned it since the GHA was corrected and no over flow issues. I say take the sponge off clean in in the sink and put it back on. It will cause micros until it builds up some slime but should fix your problem :)

• 5 months later...
Muddy Waters

this is a tank I'm considering. so it felt only natural to get the same name brand of skimmer, then the analytical me stepped in and said research more you fool :P

what I have read here and there is nearly 50/50 yay and nay. I personally don't think it should be that much of a hassle, the thing should just work, and wth is this "break in" business? is such a thing standard with any skimmer? seems odd to me, particularly about the micro's coming back just cause the cup has been emptied.

what about this other IM skimmer , its white, called ghost or some such? anyone use that ? is it better? same issues?

Steensj2004

this is a tank I'm considering. so it felt only natural to get the same name brand of skimmer, then the analytical me stepped in and said research more you fool :P

what I have read here and there is nearly 50/50 yay and nay. I personally don't think it should be that much of a hassle, the thing should just work, and wth is this "break in" business? is such a thing standard with any skimmer? seems odd to me, particularly about the micro's coming back just cause the cup has been emptied.

what about this other IM skimmer , its white, called ghost or some such? anyone use that ? is it better? same issues?

I have the Ghost on my IM 16, fact is I Hated it for the longest time. It was loud an I had Micro Bubble Problems. After adjusting it and letting it break in, it produces the best skimmate out of a nano skimmer I have ever had( tried the Eshoppes, Aqua Euro, and a DIY ). I'd get another one..

I had all 3 InTank Baskets and my Fuge ended up being a nutrient trap and causeing cyano....I removed it.

I was looking at the InTank 3-piece combo, so I did a bit of re-arranging today. I moved everything to the middle (return) chamber. My heater fit, and my ATO pressure tube and the backup float switch all mounted in there easily. I even have the ATO fill tube hanging over that chamber, as well as a digital temperature probe there. That leaves both chambers on the outside available for media baskets, then the "upflow" chambers open for a refugium basket in one and a small skimmer in the other. I love the idea of the small refugium basket and the small InTank submersible light to grow some chaetomorpha algae. With that kind of setup, we ought to be able to export nutrients to a degree even further than we need. As far as skimmers go, don't forget that the Tunze Docline 9001 nano skimmer should arrive in the US any day now. For me, it will probably be a decision between that one and the new IM skimmer. These Nuvo 16 tanks are so awesome to look at, and the equipment we choose should help to maintain that super clean look, in my opinion!

I definitely have to say that I've had an awesome experience dealing directly with Innovative Marine. Their customer service is awesome, and I feel like they went above and beyond for me. If people are having some trouble dialing in their skimmers, I really think that you should call them and give them a chance to try to help you adjust it before you make any final decisions on it. I'd recommend the guy that I dealt with, but I don't know if he would want me to give out his name and contact info here in the forums. If he's watching, he could chime in. I also think that they should become nano-reef.com sponsors because so many of us have their stuff.

I just realized, today, that the new Tunze 9001 won't fit in the "upflow" chamber of the Nuvo 16. At over four inches, there's not enough room. I think that I'll be getting the ghost desktop skimmer for sure, then.

• 3 weeks later...

I just got the IM Ghost Desktop skimmer today and dropped it in. I cannot imagine how/why anyone would think that this thing is loud. It's putting out a TON of microbubbles, but it's going to take a while to break in. It's pretty quiet.

SquishyFishy

Seems to be just another POS. Could never get it to stop overflowing the cup and when I tried putting the cup back on the unit it always sank into the fuge. Now I know why they included it with the tank, they knew they were about to release their new Ghost skimmer, and I for one, am not trusting it to be any better than the first one.

Going with a little AquaticLife Nano skimmer with good reviews and a couple mods. Waiting for delivery now.

Seems to be just another POS. Could never get it to stop overflowing the cup and when I tried putting the cup back on the unit it always sank into the fuge. Now I know why they included it with the tank, they knew they were about to release their new Ghost skimmer, and I for one, am not trusting it to be any better than the first one.

Going with a little AquaticLife Nano skimmer with good reviews and a couple mods. Waiting for delivery now.

Yeah, that's not going to fit if you have a Nuvo 16, unfortunately. The skimmer is roughly 3x3 inches, and while it will fit in the space left-to-right, it will be too big for the rear chamber in the front-to-back direction. And why would an old skimmer be comparable to a new and completely redesigned model? I was talking to an IM rep, and he talked to me about how they scoured the forums and took all of the criticisms from the older desktop skimmer into consideration when designing the new one. I'm still in the break-in period, but I like it so far. It fits incredibly well (especially since it was designed for the tank), and there's no risk of it slipping, because it drops directly into the second chamber and sits on the bottom of that chamber, and it's also nicely quiet. I am still getting micro-bubbles, but I'll give it a week or two before I get annoyed with that. I think it's going to be pretty good.

Steensj2004

When adjusted properly, the Ghost skimmer is one of the best nano skimmer out there IMHO. I get AWESOME results from this thing.

SquishyFishy

There is a report from someone on here that he just removed the suction cups and filed the tips off the unit and he's using it on his 16 right now and is very pleased. At $50 I'm going to give it a try./

Ask him if they'll trade me the old model for the new one! It's hardly been used. ;)

• 3 months later...
Fishsticks2187

I have the Ghost on my IM 16, fact is I Hated it for the longest time. It was loud an I had Micro Bubble Problems. After adjusting it and letting it break in, it produces the best skimmate out of a nano skimmer I have ever had( tried the Eshoppes, Aqua Euro, and a DIY ). I'd get another one..

I had all 3 InTank Baskets and my Fuge ended up being a nutrient trap and causeing cyano....I removed it.

i have a ghost for over a month now and it i still causing micro bubbles into my display tank! what do you mean when you said after you adjusted it it? and also how high do you keep your water level? does that have anything to do with it?

I have the same tank and just do water changes .....sometimes I think you can pull the good stuff as well as the bad stuff out of the water with a skimmer

Archived