ReefCleaners.org

2 months into cycle Nitrites still through the roof

Bskinn77

I set up at 25g cube with a 20g sump about 2 months ago maybe longer. Ammonia is almost undetectable but the nitrites have been through the roof for about 3 weeks and the nitrates are pretty high as well. Any reason why the cycle is taking so long to turn the nitrites into nitrates? Started the tank with dead sand and dry marco rock used a shrimp to kick off the cycle.

Thanks!

Did you use anything to seed the rock? Without seeding the tank with beneficial bacteria it would be a very long process to develop a substantial population. If you haven't added any "live" sand or rock, i would go get a small piece of well established rock and try adding that.

^^^ since you basically started a cycle with 0 baterial life, it will take a lot longer than an average 4 week cycle.

Basically you saved cost buying dead rock and sand but time is also money.

It wasn't about the cost of live rock I just didn't want to use any live rock to start this tank I knew it would take longer but its been almost 2 1/2 months wasn't sure if that was normal either. Thanks for the quick responses guys!

Though i have no experience with any of them, you might want to look into one of the pre-cultured bacterial additives.

Something like this

From what I understand they will add the bacteria that didn't come with your rock. But you may be close enough to the end of the cycle to just wait. Good luck!

Though i have no experience with any of them, you might want to look into one of the pre-cultured bacterial additives.

Something like this

From what I understand they will add the bacteria that didn't come with your rock. But you may be close enough to the end of the cycle to just wait. Good luck!

Thanks Pat, I agree at this point I may as well just wait it out. I have been patient this long I think I can make it def can't wait to load her up though.

I did my cycling with dry rock and live sand that was probably not very live and I was frustrated as you are and I decided to use dr Tim's one and only. It works very very well. Recently I was adding Microbacter 7 that helps with establishing beneficial bacteria even in established system. There is also another product that you can by in a lfs - Seachem's Stability. Microbacter 7 is not very popular in lfs. Good luck

Just wanted to add. If you just wait without building bacteria on your tank you may have a problem later after adding livestock. The system without appropriate amount of bacteria will not be able to handle ammonia produced by livestock.

Archived