ReefCleaners.org

Coralife Biocube 14

Wozzle

halve of this forum uses these. not sure how improved it is. looks the same to me. same component-wise too.

Ok I was really trying to figure out what had changed/improved. I knew the "old" bc14 was very popular here which was great for me as information and advice on upgrades, mods and setups would be everywhere :)

I guess if not much has changed its still a tank worth considering. Thanks for the reply!

I know they changed the back wall a little and made it higher, but this was not a recent change.

also their stands are made in US starting last summer, but they are just as crappy and now even smaller than the ones made in China before that...

I think there's been at least 3 versions of the Biocube.

The first didn't have a built-in fishsaver.

The second had a built in-fishsaver (well, the separation of the front tank and the back of the chamber was raised enough so that fish can't get back there.)

The third one just came out. Instead of Oceanic BioCube, it's called Coralife BioCube (same company). However, this one has some more changes on it. It looks like you can expand the number of LEDs on it and it has 4 switches on the hood as opposed to the 2 we are used to seeing (1 for each LED strip, 1 for whites, and 1 for actinic.

It seems like most everyone here has the 2nd one, including myself. These have been on clearance at Petco recently (I got mine for $115 US as opposed to the 189-199 normally for the 14g).

I have been running the new coralife biocube now for about four weeks. So far I am very impressed.

I researched extensively and found the following differences:

The new biocube pump pushes 180gph, I believe the legacy oceanic biocube was more like 124gph. From the pictures, the new pump looks visibly larger.

Expandable led slot for another strip of LEDs which are available in blue, white or green

Each led strip and the actinic/daylight are all independently controllable with four switches and three plugs.

The false floor in chamber one came out easier than expected, no silicon holding it like I read in many forums

Much improved airflow, the new biocube has two fans that blow out instead of the legacy where one blew in and the other blew out. Also there are four air intakes which I can noticeably tell are sucking air in effectively. (my tank stays between 78-81)

No need to scrape paint off back glass if you want to put a light back there for refugium

Fish protector is effective

The PC ballasts are now of better quality and are located in the hood as opposed to external. Reports state that this new biocube won't have problems with frequently blown ballasts like the legacy oceanic BC.

Overall quality seems very good, I am very satisfied with the purchase.

First post on nano-reef for me.

Hi all!

There were no reviews on the new coralife, Went and got a used BIOcube 14, Now I m thinking I should of bought the New Coralife BIocube, Hav any pics of the set Up.

There were no reviews on the new coralife, Went and got a used BIOcube 14, Now I m thinking I should of bought the New Coralife BIocube, Hav any pics of the set Up.

I have one. If you need to see something in particular I'll try to snap a quick pic

I have one. If you need to see something in particular I'll try to snap a quick pic

Yeah thanks, I might get one, petco has it on sale ..

• 3 weeks later...
xDetroitMetalx

I bought the old one with compact fluorescents and then after I got it saw the LED version, I was and currently still am sad face. My fans are already botching up for no reason and it's only been a month.

• 3 weeks later...

Wow I may just have to grab one. For now I have a cheap 10G setup but I just really like the looks of the biocubes/nanocubes. These changes may have just made the decision between the 2 much easier. Now I just need to look around at led retrofits LOL

And Thanks Formula she is a cocker spaniel X pug kind of looks like a cavelier king charles but all brown :)

• 2 weeks later...

I probably wont have the money for mine until Late June/Early July at the earliest so I'm just playing with my little 10G I setup from old freshwater supplies + a new powerhead and cheap chinese led lights :) I'm pretty excited to get mine and have been checking all the BC14 and NC12 threads daily LOL!

Will definetly be doing the ecoxotic panorama pro upgrade though I may see how my corals go under stock lights for ~6months. I figure I paid for the lights may as well use them and I'm only interested in softies right now with the possible addition of a frogspawn and acans later.

Archived