• 15-19
    • 20-24
    • 25-29
    • 30-39
    • 40-49
    • 50-59
    • 60-69
    • 70+
  2. 2. How long have you been in the hobby?

• Under 6 months
    • 6 mo - 1 yr
    • 1 - 2 yrs
    • 2 - 3 yrs
    • 3 - 4 yrs
    • 4 - 5 yrs
    • 5+

51 - April 21, so mark your calendar, damn it. Looks like I'm one of the oldest here. I found only 2 reefers older than me!

In SW since January '12

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm used to being around older hobbyists. Here at the Tampa Bay Reef Club, I am probably the youngest at 23 and everyone else is at least 35. Kind of surprised to see some young ones here, definitely appreciate everyone sharing.

51 - April 21, so mark your calendar, damn it. Looks like I'm one of the oldest here. I found only 2 reefers older than me!

In SW since January '12

I think spirofucci is around your age :D

TeflonTomDosh
Agreed. Sketchy would be asking for age and photos.

aslp? :D

I'm used to being around older hobbyists. Here at the Tampa Bay Reef Club, I am probably the youngest at 23 and everyone else is at least 35. Kind of surprised to see some young ones here, definitely appreciate everyone sharing.

How do I join that club? I live in Tampa too. Carrollwood to be exact!

HecticDialectics
Now if we can teach some of the younger generation to use The Lounge for their non-reef related posts, we'd all be in good shape ;)

Worst. Idea. Ever.

Supernip I believe id Paypal a dollar or better to see your real pic. Its been a long time with just the sig man. If that's you I'll still pay a dollar. Don't think i'm under valuing its just all there is in my pal

Mini its cool you guys do salt once in about 1986 I ordered seahorses from a hunting magazine and they all died. Note: mix sw before adding wildlife. Lol

i don't think you could handle it- he's super sexual.

i'm 26.. sw for 3 years or so.

you heard her, I's a looker

My intention was to post in the general discussion because this is an area that is probably most read, and most used for guidance and advice. I just wanted to know who I am getting the advice from. So if there's a problem with this being here, have it moved to the lounge. No need to keep saying "if they were smart, they would have posted in the lounge." Mods can simply move this with a few clicks, simple. I'm sorry if I broke the almighty reefing forum bible.

Well.... If miniwhinny is the "grandmom" of the forum, I'm probably the "granddad"!

I'm 61 and had a SW tank back in the early '80's, it was a 55 gallon, and I thought it was big. Had undrgravel filters woth a hang on power filter. Wasn't any such thing as live rock and I used strerile dead coral! Talk about expensive!

My wife bought me a clown triggerfish for a Christmas gift one year and it did pretty well. Even had a pinnatus batfish, talk about a regal looking fish! We still practiced the basics, good water parameters, and we started to use those new fangled things called "skimmers"!

Like a lot of people however, life happened and we raised a family and I had to give up my hobby, needed the fish room for a nursery!

When the kids left home for college, I needed a hobby...... so I decided to do something I knew something about, LOL! The changes in the hobby over the years have been nothing short of amazing! This has kept me active and nice to know some of us "old-timers" can still do some things well!

altolamprologus
What is the verdict on CM

He's all watching in the background 30ish my vote.

He'll be 27 on May 6th

Hi I'm Jake a 21 year old college junior. I started the hobby when I was 13. I have been working in the industry since I was 16. And I currently work at a lfs.

Haha I'm 18 but I look 12, some girl the other day asked me if I was in junior high

I've been in the hobby for 3-4 years

Yeah I know it's annoying. When I was 18 with 30 credits few believed I had any college education since I looked/looked many years younger then I am.

C.I._Reefer
Yeah I know it's annoying. When I was 18 with 30 credits few believed I had any college education since I looked/looked many years younger then I am.

IMO with 30 credits, you still didn't have any college education. :P I graduated HS with about 30 credits, and i wouldnt say i had any college education. Esp since it still took me 3 1/2 years to a BA Guess I'm a slacker :)

Google Tampa Bay Reef Club; or

Go nto RC Club forum southeast section, scroll down to TBRC.

I'll pass. thnx :P Been down that road before and now I'm married... o.O

Plus that was all while living in St. Pete. you can't trust those florida internet stalkers.

I've never had any issues with you. Where you going for school?

GTFO the phones and learn something you dumbs.

Cool cool. Well I was accepted to a few places, but I think I will be attending Middlebury :D! Should be a lot of fun.

Archived