Top Shelf Aquatics

Red Sea Star (Fromia milleporella)

.:LOLLY:.

First off yes I tried the search option but couldn't really find what I was looking for.

Has anyone ever been able to successfully keep a Red Sea Star (Fromia milleporella) longer than two months?

My GF thought they were "cute" and decided to come home with one. The tank is a BC29 and has been setup for a little over three months now. It seems that I am getting the same result as many other members here. I acclimated the sea star for 2 hours before finally adding it to the tank. Within a couple days it started to deteriorate.

Is there anything I can do to save it?

If it can't be saved, are they even possible to keep alive for longer than two months?

altolamprologus

If it's starting to deteriorate, take it out and throw it away. There's nothing you can do. It's entirely possible to keep them longer than 2 months, but the only people who have succeeded have very large, established tanks.

Once my tank is more mature and established should I even consider trying it again or should I just move along?

....I've had mine for about two months and only temp acclimated released underwater. I feed it nori. Its a happy wanderer. And has gotten bigger since I added it. It is a red marbled fromia

IMG_20120320_195457.jpg

IMG_20120318_110952.jpg

Make sure you buy an iodide test kit and keep it up at 0.06ppm. My critters will use that in two days if I do not dose daily - iodide doesn't get replenished enough with waterchanges

Salifert has best kit, Elos is next and brs has them that's where I got mine. Salifert tests for iodine and iodide.

I use the red sea iodide test but like stated above the salifert tests both and is just as accurate

I did have the red froma star before in my 46g. lived ther for 10 months before I sold it. I did have lots of alege in the tank tho.

you didnt take it out of the water did you? they are intolerant of oxygen

Never take them out of water.

altolamprologus
you didnt take it out of the water did you? they are intolerant of oxygen

Better take it to the moon then. There's oxygen in water

altolamprologus
cmon now... no need for that :slap:

I didn't mean it as an attack on you. Just thought I'd correct it so some noob doesn't go around telling everyone oxygen kills starfish.

.....mine walks out of water...then walks back in.. >.< interesting

Mine did this too time to time. I mean dont take it out of water for any reason unless its really needed. if it does leave water on its own. not much we can do.

how was it "deteriorating"? I always feel bad taking animals out...especially inverts lol...cause you can't always tell if theyre really dead yet lol

Archived