• Peppermint Acan
  • Rainbow Acan
  • Yellow Rainbow Yuma
  • Orange Florida Ric
  • Aussie Purple / Green Torch

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

your gonna want to add more hermit crabs a min of 10. are you keeping the bioballs in chamber 2 or chucking them? most people throw them away and add a mediabasket from intank. i also suggest removing the sponge on chamber 3 and put purigen, bag of carbon, GFO...anything but that sponge! (Nitrate holder).

try to keep only 2 fish maybe 3 if you have a skimmer but no more or you will have algae problems. Good luck and welcome back to the hobby

Glad someone caught that lol

your gonna want to add more hermit crabs a min of 10. are you keeping the bioballs in chamber 2 or chucking them? most people throw them away and add a mediabasket from intank. i also suggest removing the sponge on chamber 3 and put purigen, bag of carbon, GFO...anything but that sponge! (Nitrate holder).

try to keep only 2 fish maybe 3 if you have a skimmer but no more or you will have algae problems. Good luck and welcome back to the hobby

Oh really? I didn't wanna as to many and I thought it was roughly 1 hermit per 4 gallons?

Yup bio balls are out and that's where I was going to add my chemi. I'll look into removing the sponge right now.

And yes only 2 fish, not gonna push it with 3. I'm still not even sure I want that big shrimp depending on his bio load.

-------

Last night it was around 1:30 before the heat got near 75 and I was exhaughsted. Chucked in a whole bunch of salt and let it mix till 2 and then put in the liverock. Salinity was around 1.022 I believe

Time to go check the temp, fix the salinity and add the sand. The LR shopping :)

Make sure you double and triple check your lr you intend to buy for pests like aptasia and other nasties. You don't want to get home and end up with an episode of "to catch a predator" lol

Make sure you double and triple check your lr you intend to buy for pests like aptasia and other nasties. You don't want to get home and end up with an episode of "to catch a predator" lol

Oh I am for sure. The only thing I found were 2 baby brittle or serpent stars (can't tell the difference). The were on the babe bottom this morning, thought they were dead but then they started crawling around. Should I pull them or leave them?

Thanks for the advice tho :)

Temp was 76 this morning and salinity was around 1.018 so I pumped that up (now at .022) and I'm starting to add my sand. Pumped!!

I'm excited for another BC14 thread! :D

Tips:

You don't need rubble in the rear chambers. The LR in the display will be enough.

Run an inTank media basket in the second chamber. I use filter floss, chemipure, and purigen in mine. You could do a fuge with chaeto if you desire.

Upgrade the standard pump for better flow and gas exchange. I use a maxi jet 606 return pump. I also aim the return upwards to break the surface for better oxygenation.

Don't mix salt in the tank anymore, especially once you have livestock. Get a couple 5G buckets, a second heater and use the stock pump once you change it out. Then read StevieT's 'How to do a Water Change' thread.

Rinse your sand before you add it. You'll save yourself a huge headache and days of cloudy water.

Don't pull out the stars. They're great CUC members!

Enjoy! ;)

Sounds good, I'll leave them in then

I'm excited for another BC14 thread! :D

Tips:

You don't need rubble in the rear chambers. The LR in the display will be enough.

Run an inTank media basket in the second chamber. I use filter floss, chemipure, and purigen in mine. You could do a fuge with chaeto if you desire.

Upgrade the standard pump for better flow and gas exchange. I use a maxi jet 606 return pump. I also aim the return upwards to break the surface for better oxygenation.

Don't mix salt in the tank anymore, especially once you have livestock. Get a couple 5G buckets, a second heater and use the stock pump once you change it out. Then read StevieT's 'How to do a Water Change' thread.

Rinse your sand before you add it. You'll save yourself a huge headache and days of cloudy water.

Don't pull out the stars. They're great CUC members!

Enjoy! ;)

I do have to get the filter floss, it's a work in progress lol, but good to know about the rubble. And thanks for the advice but I don't plan on mixing in the tank anymore haahahah, this was just the first mix and I didn't have 3 separate heaters and 3 different pumps for my 3 5-gallon buckets I already have. This was the simplest way I figured I could do it. And yeah I just added the sand... wish you had posted about 5 minutes ago to rinse it :P

The cloud:

34e39a02.jpg

dont think rinsing the sand is necessary. you may be rinsing out good bacteria and lose a bunch of sand in the process. all will settle within a few hours. another trick when putting water in a new tank is to place a large bowl on the sand, use a pump and hose to pump water in the bowl. this allows the sand to not be disturbed much when filling up.

Live rock rubble in back is ok for cycling but id remove it after. you can buy a large sheet of egg crate at home depot by the lighing section and make your own mediabasket for cheap. id use that for your filtration in chamber 2.

and remember to change those bulbs every 5-6 months or you'll have big algae/red slime outbreaks.

dont think rinsing the sand is necessary. you may be rinsing out good bacteria and lose a bunch of sand in the process. all will settle within a few hours. another trick when putting water in a new tank is to place a large bowl on the sand, use a pump and hose to pump water in the bowl. this allows the sand to not be disturbed much when filling up.

Live rock rubble in back is ok for cycling but id remove it after. you can buy a large sheet of egg crate at home depot by the lighing section and make your own mediabasket for cheap. id use that for your filtration in chamber 2.

and remember to change those bulbs every 5-6 months or you'll have big algae/red slime outbreaks.

Not gonna lie I thought it would remove some of the good stuff too, figured they had redesigned the sand or something lol. And normally a bowl woulda been perfect but this time I was adding sand to a filled tank, rather then water on top of the sand.

Thanks for the info on the bulbs, I had no clue about that!!

---------

Why would you take stats!? Hate that class lol. But yes it's rather shakey right now ;)

Save up for LED's. 200 bucks can get you some lights that last 6 yrs(give or take) or 40 bucks every 5-6 months for bulbs.

Not gonna lie I thought it would remove some of the good stuff too, figured they had redesigned the sand or something lol. And normally a bowl woulda been perfect but this time I was adding sand to a filled tank, rather then water on top of the sand.

Thanks for the info on the bulbs, I had no clue about that!!

---------

Why would you take stats!? Hate that class lol. But yes it's rather shakey right now ;)

im a marketing major so it is required

Save up for LED's. 200 bucks can get you some lights that last 6 yrs(give or take) or 40 bucks every 5-6 months for bulbs.

Leads for 200 where? I might need to start saving up to change out my CF's on my 20 long

Any chance you have a link to some good ones? I'm not sure I'm handy enough to build my own ones tho. Someone should start selling already assembled ones lol.

im a marketing major so it is required

I am too! Luckily I only had to take one stats class which was brutal but it's luckily done with

Any chance you have a link to some good ones? I'm not sure I'm handy enough to build my own ones tho. Someone should start selling already assembled ones lol.

I am too! Luckily I only had to take one stats class which was brutal but it's luckily done with

So glad I took teaching :-)

So I just picked up 4 more pounds of rock which brings my total to 6 pounds (I know I still need more).

But one of the LFS I went to gave me a rock with a mini toadstool on it. The tank is only 1 day old, it's in the tank and I'm sure it won't make it even tho salinity is at 1.025. What should I do? Can I rip it off? Or should I leave it in there?

What do I do!!?

This is a toughie, will the lfs hold onto the rock for you? If not do you have a friend who wouldn't mind looking after it for you?

This is a toughie, will the lfs hold onto the rock for you? If not do you have a friend who wouldn't mind looking after it for you?

Yeah I just ripped it off and chucked it lol.

Hitchhiker?

008fa184.jpg

I wouldn't have chunked it... it might have survived

I actually chucked the whole rock. I'm very picky about my live rock lol

Archived