Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
G0nePhishin

Help w/ Bacteria/Algae bloom

Howdy reefers!

So unfortunately I am having an issue with cloudy water. Took this picture this morning

VOFkd.jpg

So I went to my LFS and they reccomended a UV sterilizer but I can't afford it right now, so I went with chemipure elite and a blackout.

?

What is your advise on the blackout? I'm guessing I should not run my refugium light either correct?

my pH was 8.0 this morning and A,N,N were all zero.

Thanks!

Is the tank near a window? Are you leaving your lights o 24/7? Are you using RO water?

Is the tank near a window? Are you leaving your lights o 24/7? Are you using RO water?

not near a window, So far only used sea-pure water, plan on mixing new water with RO/DI. Lights were on aprox 10-12 hrs a day, moonlights on all night. I squeezed the chemi-pure elite into chamber 1. Just to be safe I covered the tank with a towel so it is pitch black in there right now.

Edit: in week 3 of cycling

Edited by G0nePhishin

not near a window, So far only used sea-pure water, plan on mixing new water with RO/DI. Lights were on aprox 10-12 hrs a day, moonlights on all night. I squeezed the chemi-pure elite into chamber 1. Just to be safe I covered the tank with a towel so it is pitch black in there right now.

Edit: in week 3 of cycling

Yeah if you're still cycling just do a water change, or ride it out. Try some filter floss or poly filter.

lol thats funny the said you need a UV sterilizer...scammers

I thought it was weird too, you really think I shouldn't trust them? They seemed good....

I thought it was weird too, you really think I shouldn't trust them? They seemed good....

The thing is, a UV would infact clear it up. So its not like its BAD advice so to speak, its just not really a cost effective nor is a necessary step. It also just treats the symptom, and not the cause of the issue.

The thing is, a UV would infact clear it up. So its not like its BAD advice so to speak, its just not really a cost effective nor is a necessary step. It also just treats the symptom, and not the cause of the issue.

The cause is high phosphates/ too much light right?

after a day of blackout and chemi-pure the water is starting to clear!

thanks for the help!