Pod Your Reef

Best tank size for a new nano-reefer

Aunt Minnie

xDetroitMetalx
Uhm. I know you said "properly", but I know tons of people with FW tanks who don't know ANYTHING about maintenance or even whats in their tanks. Hell, they have no idea about water testing and laugh at me for being "too anal about the tank". They do top offs directly from a kitchen faucet, don't change water for months or just let it evaporate till there is only half of the water left... yet their fish and plants are fine. And don't get me started on that "clown puke" substrate they are using....

Yes, I know what you're saying and that's not "proper" care. I have been called the same, "Waiting a week for the tank to cycle? Testing the water conditions? Weekly water changes? Removing 25%? Adding de-chlor?! PFFT! I've been keeping my oscars in a 20 gallon tank for years!" That's usually when I walk away or think to myself, "Okay, this customer doesn't car about anything." and I would refuse service / sale.

Aunt Minnie

Hey guys, thanks a lot for all the input and advice. To tell you the truth, I was originally planning a fully-plumbed 75 gallon system. Unfortunately, that plan went down the drain as several weeks of product research and cost-analysis demonstrated that the initial + ongoing expenses for such a system would be cumbersome to manage financially. More importantly, however, my industry is somewhat volatile, and there's no guarantee that we'll be at the same residence in a year. I'd hate to tear down a large system should we have to relocate in the near future.

The choice to go with a smaller reef therefore makes the most sense. Gotta be honest though guys, while there are a ton of 40 gallon breeders on this site, I consider this size to be barely on the cusp of being considered nano.

As has been mentioned above, perhaps the most expensive initial investment in any reef tank is the lighting. After much research, I have decided to go with the AI Nano Sol due to its small/sexy form-factor, pricepoint under $300 and advanced technology. With this being the case, I am limited to a tank size which fits the coverage of the Nano Sol. This is how I came to my dimensions of 20" x 18" x 15", putting me at a volume of ~21 gallons (~18 gallons when filled with rock, etc.). I could increase the system volume by making the tank taller, but I like the look of more "shallow" systems.

Thoughts?

i didnt bother to see if this was allready said but, a standard 20g high is perfect, 55 gal (what old reefers who know very little cuz they refuse to learn new facts and techniques will tell you to get is not a "great" choice) a 55 water changes are kinda big so your more inclined to put it off which will be a new reefers downfall

2-4 bulb 24" T5 light

aquaclear 70-100 with carbon and chayto (plants) with cfl 65k light

heater

korila or MJ power head

good sand and rock

and most important RODI water for top off/waterchange

DONE

diy led when your ready lol, only $100 for a 20h

Aunt Minnie
2-4 bulb 24" T5 light

aquaclear 70-100 with carbon and chayto (plants) with cfl 65k light

heater

korila or MJ power head

good sand and rock

and most important RODI water for top off/waterchange

DONE

diy led when your ready lol, only $100 for a 20h

Thanks for the recommendations and advice. Unfortunately, in return for allowing me to dump mucho dinero into this hobby, I promised my wife that the entire setup will mesh well with our "contemporary/eclectic interior design" (her term, not mine). Because our condo is relatively small, the tank will truly be a focal point that everyone will see upon entering. With this being the case, the entire system has to be as "sexy" as possible, and a standard rimmed tank with HOB Aquaclear and T5 lighting will not fit the bill (she said she'd rather have me spend MORE money on something more modern-looking). Therefore a rimless AIO system on custom stand is the only way to go. I can't complain if she's encouraging me to spend more!

Cheese-Lover

My first marine tank was a 0.7gallon tank. (2.6 liters.)

It was fine until my Queensland Pygmy Goby died. (Eviota queenslandica) at which point I upgraded.

I had less issues with that tank than I did with my 4foot.

Hey guys, thanks a lot for all the input and advice. To tell you the truth, I was originally planning a fully-plumbed 75 gallon system. Unfortunately, that plan went down the drain as several weeks of product research and cost-analysis demonstrated that the initial + ongoing expenses for such a system would be cumbersome to manage financially. More importantly, however, my industry is somewhat volatile, and there's no guarantee that we'll be at the same residence in a year. I'd hate to tear down a large system should we have to relocate in the near future.

The choice to go with a smaller reef therefore makes the most sense. Gotta be honest though guys, while there are a ton of 40 gallon breeders on this site, I consider this size to be barely on the cusp of being considered nano.

As has been mentioned above, perhaps the most expensive initial investment in any reef tank is the lighting. After much research, I have decided to go with the AI Nano Sol due to its small/sexy form-factor, pricepoint under $300 and advanced technology. With this being the case, I am limited to a tank size which fits the coverage of the Nano Sol. This is how I came to my dimensions of 20" x 18" x 15", putting me at a volume of ~21 gallons (~18 gallons when filled with rock, etc.). I could increase the system volume by making the tank taller, but I like the look of more "shallow" systems.

Thoughts?

IMHO, anything 10G or above has enough water volume to be "safely stable" for someone who is going to put in the required work for a tank. I would worry more about getting a tank you love than trying to increase water volume. The more you like the tank, the more maintance you'll do with it.

The nano-sol is a great choice on non-DIY lighting. It looks great and it's a quality light. Whatever tank you end up with, just make sure it's the one you love, especially as the tank is one of the cheapest pieces of a setup. It's extremely common for people to have a single coral in thier tank that's worth more than the tank it's self, especially in the nano end.

Aunt Minnie
The nano-sol is a great choice on non-DIY lighting. It looks great and it's a quality light.

Will a Nano Sol adequate cover a 20" x 18" footprint (actually 20" x 14.5" since 3.5" is taken up by the AIO rear-chamber)? Can I afford to go wider (i.e. 22" x 18") or is this pushing it?

Will a Nano Sol adequate cover a 20" x 18" footprint (actually 20" x 14.5" since 3.5" is taken up by the AIO rear-chamber)? Can I afford to go wider (i.e. 22" x 18") or is this pushing it?

How deep is it and furthermore, what are you planning to keep? IIRC, it's probably not enough light for clams/SPS. Someone else needs to weigh in here a little bit, my off the cuff answer is it's close but I'm not sure.

Edited by Veng
Aunt Minnie
How deep is it and furthermore, what are you planning to keep? IIRC, it's probably not enough light for clams/SPS. Someone else needs to weigh in here a little bit, my off the cuff answer is it's close but I'm not sure.

Debating between 14" and 16"; yes, I would like to keep a clam at some point in the tank's life. Not sure about SPS, probably just start with softies. Of course I would place all high-light requiring species in the center of the tank.

Debating between 14" and 16"; yes, I would like to keep a clam at some point in the tank's life. Not sure about SPS, probably just start with softies. Of course I would place all high-light requiring species in the center of the tank.

Ask this question in the lighting forum and see what response you get. I'm thinking it's on the edge, but i'm not comfortable saying one way or the other. The people in there will be able to tell you if it's ok or not.

Also, a tank that has all the high light stuff 2" from the water line in the center of the tank is generally pretty ugly. Having enough light to put stuff where it looks good is a very good thing.

• 6 years later...