SaltCritters.com

sps skimmer and lighting option question

sean-820

For a sps tank of up to 40g total volume what would you do for lighting and a skimmer?

My main thoughts are lighting being 2x par 38 or a 24 led array diy. Id assume the array would be better but the par 38s may be just as capable as i am doing rockwork with a farily small footprint.

As to skimmer i am considering:

scw120 cone

reef octopus extreame 160

reef octo supreme (forget the model)

eshoppes economy cone...

for lighting id like to keep it under 250 and skimmer 300

Id like to buy whatever bu the end of the month so just making sure what i want currently will be good. I really like the sounds of the ro extreame skimmer but unsure if it would be too big (and not as efficinet or something). I also cant find much in the way of comparisons in efficiency between ro supreme and extreame

any suggestions will be apreciated.

for sps i went with t5's (my leds were making my sps brown) and i went with a ebay sc65 skimmer. its a knockoff of the bubble magus line. i would have went with the octo extreme 160 but it would have nearly taken half my sump away.

for sps i went with t5's (my leds were making my sps brown) and i went with a ebay sc65 skimmer. its a knockoff of the bubble magus line. i would have went with the octo extreme 160 but it would have nearly taken half my sump away.

Ya initially i will be running a 10g sump so the octo will take my sump away but basically all i amplanning is a heater, skimmer and return and i think the octo would be more then capable of filtering the tank without the need for refugiums, reactors...

What type of led setup did you have. I know leds can be detrimental if you dont properly accumlimate the coral as they are soo intense. I have been looking at getting a 24 led array then doing blue on one driver and white on the other so i can control each and acclimate the corals by intensity rather then raising and lowering the fxture.

I have also cnsidered a 4 bulb tek but do like the idea of leds intensity, limited power and longevity so im not paying 100$ per year to replace 4 t5 bulbs.

How do you like your skimmer? and any tank shots?

Another good skimmer ive thought of is deltec 300 hob. Seems to be quite solid. My one concern is its pump is a maxijet which doesnt seem that strong though by pics it can get quite the muck.

Archived