Pod Your Reef

MP10 On 10mm Glass

Seiryoku

Looking to buy a tank/system that uses 10mm glass, Ecotech says the max for an MP10 is 9.5mm. I've found multiple responses in forums from Ecotech staff telling people 10mm glass would be fine, to make sure to use the stick on thing on the tank (to hold the dry side).

Emailed Ecotech myself and received this response:

"In all honesty, it is a toss-up. It is possible that it could work, but more than likely not. Each magnet in our products has variances of magnetic force so we give the rating based off of the maximum thickness that any of our pumps, within that particular model, will be able to couple onto."

He went on to recommend an MP40, even though I'd get better, random, flow from two MP10's (my plan).

So...I would love to know of anyone using MP10's on 10mm glass and if it operates ok!

I mean .5" a millimeter isn't much, at all. I say go for it!

I don't think it is either, but who knows when you are near the max concerning two magnets. The responses from other Ecotech staff never mentioned anything about power loss, only that the two sides might separate easily and to properly secure the dry side.

Dunno, hoping someone here uses an MP10 on 10mm glass and can say it works no problem :)

It better work! If I get the setup I want (Cad Lights...who wont respond to emails) I'll end up with two MP10's and two Radions... I expect perfection when paying that much for flow/lights :-P

Looking to buy a tank/system that uses 10mm glass, Ecotech says the max for an MP10 is 9.5mm. I've found multiple responses in forums from Ecotech staff telling people 10mm glass would be fine, to make sure to use the stick on thing on the tank (to hold the dry side).

Emailed Ecotech myself and received this response:

"In all honesty, it is a toss-up. It is possible that it could work, but more than likely not. Each magnet in our products has variances of magnetic force so we give the rating based off of the maximum thickness that any of our pumps, within that particular model, will be able to couple onto."

He went on to recommend an MP40, even though I'd get better, random, flow from two MP10's (my plan).

So...I would love to know of anyone using MP10's on 10mm glass and if it operates ok!

welp, the cadlights artisan 50g is 10mm glass, and if you look at just about every artisan cube (mine included) we're running mp10's. I have two on mine, both work really well, I never run them higher intensity than 80 (apex wxm controlled) and they are never hot to the touch or feel any different than when on my 6mm tank.

Whats funny, is the spacer they include is just about 5mm thick, and on a 3/16" (4.8mm) where it has to be used, is just about 10mm, and they say on a 4.8mm tank, you have to use the spacer or risk damage, so it sounds like what they consider safest, is closer to 10mm then 5mm. Wow, almost confussed my self, let me restate that,

works fine on my 10mm tank, no issues, no vibration, actually quieter than on my 6mm tank.

-John

welp, the cadlights artisan 50g is 10mm glass, and if you look at just about every artisan cube (mine included) we're running mp10's. I have two on mine, both work really well, I never run them higher intensity than 80 (apex wxm controlled) and they are never hot to the touch or feel any different than when on my 6mm tank.

Whats funny, is the spacer they include is just about 5mm thick, and on a 3/16" (4.8mm) where it has to be used, is just about 10mm, and they say on a 4.8mm tank, you have to use the spacer or risk damage, so it sounds like what they consider safest, is closer to 10mm then 5mm. Wow, almost confussed my self, let me restate that,

works fine on my 10mm tank, no issues, no vibration, actually quieter than on my 6mm tank.

-John

Perfect, thank you :)

3/8" and 10mm are the same product. This is quite common in engineering materials, same thing with metal stock. The difference between the nominal thickness is covered by the tolerance which is typically specified by standards bodies.

As an example, the first link below is for PPG Starphire which is made in the USA. The manufacturer sells stock with thickness specified in mm, your reseller will likely quote in fractions of an inch. Note how wide the tolerances are.

The second link is from another US manufacturer, look at the 3/8" line and see the same specified dimensions and tolerance as PPG 10mm. Ecotech would be stupid not to consider this when rating their product. Email guy is just covering himself or doesn't really know what he is talking about IMO.

http://www.pgo.com/pdf/ppg_starphire.pdf

http://www.newportglass.com/float.htm

Archived