Top Shelf Aquatics

Cyano and hair algea fight. I just got my skimmer working...how long?

travisman1994

travisman1994

I have cyano and a small amount of hair algae. I have just started to fight it about a week ago. I have my skimmer working and I am now using Ro/Di water from the store after finding out that the TDS meter reads 128 on our tap water (which apparently is super good compared to other peoples tap according to the chart on my TDS meter) Anyways, how long will I be fighting it? I have tested phosphates, nitrate, nitrites and ammonia with all 0's. I am thinking that the algae is probs consuming them which messes up my tests. Any advice would be appreciated.

There is no way to tell how long. It depends on lights/cuc/waters actual readings (i.e. what the algae is feeding on.)

Your tank if niot stuffed with coral would be a good candidate for a peroxide treatment since it sounds like you have taken all the steps to get the right equipment to not have this happen again (atleast in forseeable time)

travisman1994

^ I have yellow polyps, green star polyps, kenya tree, and a fox coral. The green star polyp was going down hill and I thought it was doomed. However, I have a piece of it that is coming back. The yellow polyps are going pretty good. My kenya tree and fox coral is doing great as well. So I would be hesitant to do a peroxide treatment. I also have 2 clownfish, mandarin dragonet, pepermint shrimp, emerald crab, snails, chaetomorpha etc...... I just really don't want anything to die. I could probs try small doses maybe. Whats your opinion?

Search for the peroxide treatment thread here on NR and do so research. Even with the animals you have I think your still a good candidate.. What type of skimmer did you get.. If its worth its weight it should be pullin a ton of gunk once it breaks in.

Archived