Pod Your Reef

Problems with GFO media reactor when electricity goes off

Neto

I have a media reactor build made by GSA (Grey Sea Aquatics) now Avast Marine Works and I am using the regular BRS GFO on it. It has been working just fine when the electricity is on. However, if the electricity power goes off then problems arrise! Basically all the media from the reactor returns through the intake and clogs it. Some media returns to the sump and makes the water look awefull murky. After the electrifity comes back, the reactor no longer works because the intake is clogged with GFO..

I guess this happends due to fluid dynamics since the water from the reactor is higher than the sump water.

What would you guys do????? I heard check valves fail on saltwater, I can connect the intake to the display tank drain to sump but Idk.

I made two pictures to explain what happends.

Normal Operation

normalOperation-1.jpg

No Electricity Operation

noElectricityOperation-1.jpg

GSAMediaReactor.jpg

GFO is way to fine for that screen. I am amazed there is no sponge there. That would help your problem.

I also though of that, I bought the reactor used and the vendor doesnt manufacture it anymore so I dont really know if it came with a sponge there or not... I emailed the vendor to see if I get a response...

Also, should the reactor return be inside the water or it doesnt matter? Currently the hose is outside the water and water is falling to the sump.

• 4 weeks later...

put the return from your reactor under water. right now power goes out and siphon starts. put the return under water and a siphon wont start causing the media to get sucked out. the screen will also help too.

put the return from your reactor under water. right now power goes out and siphon starts. put the return under water and a siphon wont start causing the media to get sucked out. the screen will also help too.

We have a winner!!

If you put the return of the reactor under water, air won't be sucked in from the output of the reactor and the water won't really move. The GFO will still probably fall through the small holes (until you put a sponge or screen in there), but it shouldn't end up in the sump.

You use that knitting canvas from Michael's or any art supply store. I think you could find a fine enough mesh that would keep the balls from backwashing. I am normally looking for a very wide gauge canvas for keeping silkworms (worms on top, poop falls through, healthier silkworms), so I know they have pretty small gauge that could work. I am normally frustrated they have smaller mesh and not bigger :rolleyes:

Archived