ReefCleaners.org

LPS Coral Growth Deficiency Investigation. NEED YOUR HELP!

Fiesta_reef_time

DreTheReefer

Well there is your problems for the most part. Bulbs are pretty old if they are a year old. Salinity rose and you must have dropped it pretty fast if you just did a quick water change and left again for 2 weeks and you only have live rock and sand and no skimmer or running any carbon with out weekly water changes to export nutrients and replenish necessary nutrients. Just try to keep things stable with small water changes every few days and watch your evaporation. That's a biggie on a small tank.

Fiesta_reef_time

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!

I'm such an idiot!

My salinity is 1.030!!!!!!!!!

AAAAAHHHH!!!!!

WTF DO I DO NOW?

A waterchange with 1.022 salinity?

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!

I'm such an idiot!

My salinity is 1.030!!!!!!!!!

AAAAAHHHH!!!!!

WTF DO I DO NOW?

A waterchange with 1.022 salinity?

That might be 1 of the biggest things. The frogspawn may be in shock from the change in salinity. Do the waterchange with 1.022 water I think should be ok thought im not sure exactly what salinity would help to lower it to what your end goal is. 1.026? and make sure to top off daily with RODI

Fiesta_reef_time
That might be 1 of the biggest things. The frogspawn may be in shock from the change in salinity. Do the waterchange with 1.022 water I think should be ok thought im not sure exactly what salinity would help to lower it to what your end goal is. 1.026? and make sure to top off daily with RODI

Yea, I did that. And I got the tank to a stable 1.025. This morning the frogspawn didn't look that bad, so I hope it liked the WC.

Fiesta_reef_time
Thats definatly your problem. Are you topping off with RO/DI water??

Yes I am.

Good news. Today I came home and my LPS coral were almost their 100% selves (about 85% extended). Of course as was expected with this very risky WC, 3/4 of my snails died, but I think it may have also killed some bristle worms too.

My torch got the salinity dropped to 1.015 and recovered fully. It was definitely the water change that pissed it off. What is your procedures for conducting water changes? Step by step.

Fiesta_reef_time
My torch got the salinity dropped to 1.015 and recovered fully. It was definitely the water change that pissed it off. What is your procedures for conducting water changes? Step by step.

Pour two gallons in a bucket, mix in Reef Crystals till desired salinity is reached. Cyphon out 25-30% water out of tank, clean up film algae on surface, pour in new water. I used to heat the water to the same temp as tank, but found that is was a useless and time wasting step as non heated water only decreases it by 2F for like 2-3 minutes until it gets back to normal.

Fiesta_reef_time

So all the inverts died now. Theres at least 50 bristleworms coming out of the live rocks, dieing.

Should I get a sixline wrasse to eat them up?

So all the inverts died now. Theres at least 50 bristleworms coming out of the live rocks, dieing.

Should I get a sixline wrasse to eat them up?

Going up in salinity that much that fast would for sure piss off coral and fish alike, but to kill off waves of bristle worms.....I dunno.

Fiesta_reef_time
Going up in salinity that much that fast would for sure piss off coral and fish alike, but to kill off waves of bristle worms.....I dunno.

Nope. Corals are doing fairly well, its like they were just waiting for me to bring the salinity lower so they could grow.

C.I._Reefer

Are you using a refractometer? In all honesty most corals would thrive at 1.030. Fish and inverts would show signs of stress before most corals if your issue was solely high salinity.

seems as if you are getting plenty of advice. I will only emphasize that you need to find a way to stabalize the system with an Automatic Top Off. whether that be with a simple RO float valve and a bucket of water - use gravity or a fancy system that's plug and play. the smaller the tank means the bigger parameter swings you'll see.

I'm sure you can find hundreds of DIY ATO setups out there. I know I've built a few from radioshack and home depot that cost me around 20 bucks.

Archived