Coral Vue Hydros

Help with Lighting for Clam

04V10

Hey guys,

I'm just wondering how bright I should put my lights on for my new Clam. I've got the Mazarra LED kit above the tank and at it's brightest point it runs at 55% on the whites and 80% on the blues... Any input? With the lights on 100% on white it's freakin bright!...lol

jedimasterben
Hey guys,

I'm just wondering how bright I should put my lights on for my new Clam. I've got the Mazarra LED kit above the tank and at it's brightest point it runs at 55% on the whites and 80% on the blues... Any input? With the lights on 100% on white it's freakin bright!...lol

What size is your tank, how deep is it, how high off the tank do the lights sit, and I've never heard of a "Mazarra" LED kit, could you link it?

What size is your tank, how deep is it, how high off the tank do the lights sit, and I've never heard of a "Mazarra" LED kit, could you link it?

Sorry, I should have given more info. My tank is a 20gal high, I think it's 24" high. My clam is on the substrate which is about 3" off the bottom. The lights are positioned 2.5" above the surface of the water.

Here is a link to the mazara LEDs. I have the s series.

http://maxspectusa.com/index.php?option=co...=1&Itemid=2

jedimasterben
Sorry, I should have given more info. My tank is a 20gal high, I think it's 24" high. My clam is on the substrate which is about 3" off the bottom. The lights are positioned 2.5" above the surface of the water.

Here is a link to the mazara LEDs. I have the s series.

http://maxspectusa.com/index.php?option=co...=1&Itemid=2

As long as the clam is in the center of the tank under the lights, it may be ok. The P-series uses CREE XM-L LEDs along with more royal blue LEDs, but the S-series uses XP-E LEDs for the whites which put out much less light. The XM-L version puts out 350 PAR at 20", so I'd expect your version to put out quite a bit less.

With xm-ls and 60 degree optics at 2100mA at 100% 12inches above tank I only get 270 at the sand bed 16 inches deep....I'm sure that measurement was at only a couple inches above the water however I doubt they run the XML higher then 1A...

My bad 1.5A....no way are they getting 350 at 20 inches...unless your using tighter optics then 60s and literally on top of the water with the fixture

Also...20h is 16 deep...give the water overhead plus sand you got about 13-14 inches of water...with the clam 3 up so the plus the size of the clam let's say the mantle is aprox 7-8inches underwater....in the center of the tank you'll be good...also turn your whites up for noon...even if it looks bright. More light the better

With xm-ls and 60 degree optics at 2100mA at 100% 12inches above tank I only get 270 at the sand bed 16 inches deep....I'm sure that measurement was at only a couple inches above the water however I doubt they run the XML higher then 1A...

My bad 1.5A....no way are they getting 350 at 20 inches...unless your using tighter optics then 60s and literally on top of the water with the fixture

Also...20h is 16 deep...give the water overhead plus sand you got about 13-14 inches of water...with the clam 3 up so the plus the size of the clam let's say the mantle is aprox 7-8inches underwater....in the center of the tank you'll be good...also turn your whites up for noon...even if it looks bright. More light the better

Thanks for the replies guys. I upped the max to 55% and will walk it higher over the next week or so. The clam is also in the center directly under the lights. Looks pretty happy right now so that is good, as well as the open brain and acans.

Archived