ReefCleaners.org

Any angel reef safe?

beyondcomp251

beyondcomp251

I really want to add an angel to my 60g mixed reef. I have a large mix of lps,nps,sps,softies, zoa, Xmas tree worms, clams etc. I'd really like a flame angel. Is there a dwarf angel that is more reef friendly than others?

Personally, I've owned a coral beauty and lemonpeel. They have both been very reef safe. By very, I mean neither one has ever been seen nipping at any of my coral, and I gave quite a bit of lps stuff.

andrewguilfoy

You have to keep them fed and like any other fish that is labeled not reef safe, it is at your risk, and I would definitely recommend keeping a close eye.

All are hit or miss. I had a coral beauty that didnt bother anything. And i have seen people with well behaved flame angels. Those are both dwarf angels though so maybe they are more reef friendly than regular angels.

acropora1981

I've had good luck with flames, african flame backs, cherubs, and coral beauty's. Currently I have a flame in my softie tank, and a flame back in my SPS.

Only the larger angels are completely reef safe like Lamarck's and Bellus. As for dwarfs I've had a cherub that never nipped at anything and a lemon peel that took out all of my acans in the two days i had it. There pretty much all 50/50 and really depends on the fish. If you really want one buy a trap when you get it so worst comes to worst you can always catch it.

acropora1981
And I see you have clams so no issues there either?

I wouldn't keep the flame with a clam, but I haven't had an issue with the flamback with clam nor have I had an issue with cherubs and clams. I've found those cherub/flameback and close relatives to be extremely well behaved, consistently.

Pretty hit or miss. I have had both good and bad angels in the past. What the hell, give it a spin!!!!!

russian-roulette.jpg

I have a Red Stripe Angel and it nips at everything, especially zoa frags. Never really eats any, but will pull the frags off their plugs. I have resorted to buying bigger, more developed corals.

If you decide on a flame make sure to keep it well fed. Also getting it smaller and allowing it to grow bigger using prepared foods will also help deter the fish from nipping. Sps are best corals to keep with flames. They are slightly hit or miss but if you buy small, keep well fed and give the fish alot of room to explore you'll lesson the chance of coral nipping. And when I say exploration room, I do Not mean a bigger tank or a longer tank. These are not tangs and require more of a maze/multi tiered rock work compared to tangs that need open space swimming room.

Archived