Innovative Marine Aquariums

help with some zoas and pulsating xenias (not sure on spelling)

hawk03

i pickes up a pair of the pulsating xenias today and was woundering if i shold put them close to the lights or on the sand bed. i have a 20 long with a 10000k daylight buld and a purple and blue night bulb...

and with the zoas i got them a week ago and i have them near the top of the tank on the liverock and some of the orange skirts are kinda turning brown. does that mean they are to close to the lights?

thanks for the help yall...

edit pics as requested

post-72938-1333327929_thumb.jpg

post-72938-1333327961_thumb.jpg

My lights aren't very bright, and my Xenia likes the top and most of my Zoas like the bottom. A couple of Zoas won't even open if I put them too close to the light. The Xenia just keeps climbing up to the top of what ever it's on.

You have xenia that moves to different spots on the rocks?? Its a new RARE species...

My xenia moves wherever the current takes it.

surgicalsense

Xenia will climb if they (you know what I mean) feel like it. Place somewhere inbetween and a place where you do not mind if they move. Since mine have divided it has climbed 4 inches from the orginal frag plug placement. However, the placement is under the powerhead so the current is moderate.

Also, on your pictures I can see the little nubs. They are going to lean over at some point and move. Maybe even divide.

Maybe mine is rare it stays put.. i mean its xenia it spreads but I haven't ever noticed a stalk being moved...

Grr now I gotta watch more closely

I put mine up at the top of the tank and it seems happiest there. Some stalks have even moved to the very top right under the water line. They seem to like the light and flow up there.

Islandoftiki
Maybe mine is rare it stays put.. i mean its xenia it spreads but I haven't ever noticed a stalk being moved...

Grr now I gotta watch more closely

My xenia will move to the highest location possible. It might take it a month or two to move an inch, but it does move around.

You have xenia that moves to different spots on the rocks?? Its a new RARE species...

This one used to be almost in the center of the plug. My pulsing xenia has a stationary foot, but will grow up to the top of whatever it is on.

no i was woundering if i should leave them on the old shell on the live rocks or put them on the sand.

Xenia will climb if they (you know what I mean) feel like it. Place somewhere inbetween and a place where you do not mind if they move. Since mine have divided it has climbed 4 inches from the orginal frag plug placement. However, the placement is under the powerhead so the current is moderate.

Also, on your pictures I can see the little nubs. They are going to lean over at some point and move. Maybe even divide.

moving and dividing all good right? "nubs" mean it gonna grow or what does that mean?

Archived