Innovative Marine Aquariums

"The Lagoon:An Artistic Impression"

Newlinta

This DID fill up fast!!! So amazing!!! :wub:

I saw this and thought of you in regards to keeping livestock in this type of tank:

hqdefault.jpg

You could put the waterfall off to the side... would it work?

EDIT: Aha! Found a marine version:

You could... scale it down a bit? :D

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This DID fill up fast!!! So amazing!!! :wub:

I saw this and thought of you in regards to keeping livestock in this type of tank:

hqdefault.jpg

You could put the waterfall off to the side... would it work?

EDIT: Aha! Found a marine version:

You could... scale it down a bit? :D

That's pretty cool...I can't add any equipment to this set-up any more(contest rules).

That's pretty cool...I can't add any equipment to this set-up any more(contest rules).

I will not say anything go ahead and add some equipment. ;) Tank is looking great, there are some tanks that are making me nervous in the contest, and this one is one of them.

I will not say anything go ahead and add some equipment. ;) Tank is looking great, there are some tanks that are making me nervous in the contest, and this one is one of them.

Thanks for the compliment!

I'm not happy with a few things, so there will likely be some additions/subtractions over the next few weeks...lol

I'm just having a good time doing something I enjoy...helps distract me from some of the crap that's going on in my

hectic life,right now. =}

How's everything doing since you added it to your tank?

Found these a few weeks ago...dipped/quarantined...now getting used to their new home.

Acan echinata and micromussa...

e1ec9a3b.jpg

Micro...

8c9831c2.jpg

Echinata...

f8285856.jpg

Looking at the pics,I realized I forgot to take the micro off that rock like I wanted...lol

Sorry for the crappy pics...even with the proHD app, it's hard to take pics in this shallow tank.

Unless the phone is at EXACTLY the right angle,it's tough to get clear shots through the glass.

Ok...so, I've only been reeding since September, but I've been very good about quarantining fish,

Dipping/quarantining corals and have been lucky enough(knock on wood) not to introduce anything

unwanted into my tanks...until now.

Today I found this in my pico...

68dfb3cf.jpg

4326646f.jpg

Aaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh.....lol

I've been rethinking/rearranging a little...

The "big" rock in the middle was bothering me.

I think it was obstructing too much of the view

From the front...so I switched it out with one that

Is a bit lower/less bulky.

I wasn't happy with the SPS(digi's) as they were not responding

As well as I would have liked in here,so I took them out.

I'm not sure about the monti caps and encrusting ones,yet.

They seem to be doing ok. Still have a few weeks to decide.

I love the echinata and micromussa,so I've decided to put some

of my acan lords in here...they're cool corals with some nice color.

They are also known to be shallow water/lagoon corals.

I'll take some pics when I get them acclimated and arranged.

I did put this guy under the ledge on the right side of the tank...

a1d03898.jpg

So it's still a work in progress,but here's where I'm at now...

Switched out the big rock and added some small acan pieces.

I really like how it opened the view up!

340c4d4d.jpg

19bad4dc.jpg

c7e3ce7c.jpg

916f5397.jpg

I love all the color!

5af4ecb9.jpg

1e65de4d.jpg

Cool little unidentified macro...

471633ff.jpg

Sorry I didn't clean the tank before I took pics...lol

Still a few weeks till the deadline,so I may add/rearrange...

Any thoughts?

What an amazing natural work of art you have made. It reminds me of the bonsai landscapes the japanese make, called penjing. The depth is great. Sometimes in those bonsai landscapes they put smaller things in the back to give further depth and to make those things look farther away, when viewed straight on. Just a thought. W-

Oh my WOW. I seriously want to do a tank like this now. :wub: What's your daily top-off look like?

Did you get your unwanted hitchhiker out yet? :)

Last time i looked there wasnt even anything in this tank but mangroves i think. This tank makes me want to weep. I love the dendro under the waterfall. All the colors are awsome. I think i would put a neon goby and a skunk in it. Maybe just the shrimp. Either way this thing is awsome even with just coral.

Looks really great man! Great colour and I'm happy you have mangroves in your display they are far to cool to be tucked away.

Its almost the same concept as mine :P

Thanks everyone!!

It's still a work in progress...will probably "tweak" some things

over the next few weeks.

@ward827...I was actually thinking about getting rid of one of the

encrusting monti's in the back and putting some

Small blue clove polyps or something similar there.

@TianTian...I put about 3-4 cups of ro/di in it daily.

Still working on getting rid of that ugly HH...lol

@Twilton...I love the mangroves too...they help give a sense of height,texture/drama

to the overall picture.

Still trying to find a few more colorful acans/echinata/micromussa

To fill a space or two.

Not having much luck locally...

Last time i looked there wasnt even anything in this tank but mangroves i think. This tank makes me want to weep. I love the dendro under the waterfall. All the colors are awsome. I think i would put a neon goby and a skunk in it. Maybe just the shrimp. Either way this thing is awsome even with just coral.

Thanks...

I was actually thinking about putting a pair of neon or sharknose gobies in here.

I think the skunk cleaner would be way too big for the tank...maybe some sexies,though.

@ward827...I was actually thinking about getting rid of one of the

encrusting monti's in the back and putting some

Small blue clove polyps or something similar there.

That would be a great idea. Just something with a smaller polyp,

so when viewed from the front, straight on, helps give the feel it is a little further away.

You've really made me want to think about my future stocking for my BC14. Not that I'm

going to come close to this great lagoon, but in trying to achieve a more

realistic aquascape. W-

That would be a great idea. Just something with a smaller polyp,

so when viewed from the front, straight on, helps give the feel it is a little further away.

You've really made me want to think about my future stocking for my BC14. Not that I'm

going to come close to this great lagoon, but in trying to achieve a more

realistic aquascape. W-

Thank you for the kind words.

I'm very happy with how the scape turned out.

Now I'm just making small adjustments/additions as far as livestock goes...

Then 3 more months to see how it grows out...woohoo!

Any other suggestions for SMALL fish/inverts?

I love small stuff. I hope this I'm not repeating recommendations already in the thread.

My favorite small fish are flaming prawn gobies (like my avatar). Eviota and Trimma sp. gobies also stay small. Yellow clown gobies too, but they are territorial. Neon gobies, and I think you mentions sharknosed gobies would work. Greenbanded gobies are small too, and they are supposed to pair up easily. Stay away from mini dart gobies - as awesome as they are, they absolutely require feeding multiple times a day.

For inverts, bumblebee shrimp are pretty cool. If you're ok with supplying starfish, harlequins and bongo shrimp. Pom pom and porcelain crabs are always good choices. And most species of glass anemone shrimp stay around an inch. And of course there are sexy shrimp.

@sublunary...thanks for the great suggestions!

Though they are pretty common,I do like neons and sharknoses...if I can't find anything a little more rare/interesting,

that's probably what I'll end up getting.

I love most of the trimma gobies,but hardly ever see any of them available,other than the red spotted(Cana?).

I REALLY wish I could find one or two of these!!!

Trimma maiandros...

f9dc087b.jpg

I have no idea how much they cost...but my funds are limited right now and shipping costs would be ridiculous

for 1 or 2 fish...

We have those guys local all the time, they go for $15-$20...I would offer to buy and ship but the whole border thing sucks!

Lucky you...

I've never seen one around here.

I occasionally see catalinas, black bellys, green striped and masked gobies...

But not recently.

Would your LFS be able to order them in for you? Mine always says he can order in pretty much whatever a client asks (from gobies to sharks and rays, even!!)

Would your LFS be able to order them in for you? Mine always says he can order in pretty much whatever a client asks (from gobies to sharks and rays, even!!)

I've asked several LFS about it...none of their suppliers has them on their stock list. :(

I'm going out to ThatPetPlace/ThatFishPlace today. I'll see if they have anything interesting...

Archived