Cultivated Reef

"The Lagoon:An Artistic Impression"

Newlinta

So, I'm curious, I've heard that having live rock above the water line can be, well, smelly. Any issues with that?

Also, how's evaporation? I didn't notice if you had an ATO

The rock above the water line was dry to begin with. Only the part that has water flow over it is live now.

No issues with smell whatsoever...I think, if i cut flow to any of the live area, it might smell as it dies/dries out.

I don't have an ato...I add about 1/4-3/8 of an inch of ro every day.Not sure how much volume that is in gallons...maybe a few cups.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OH...by the way...sorry for the crappy pics so far...

I dont have internet at home right now so I have to do all this on my iphone...

Hopefully I'll get it up and running soon...then I can use a decent camera.

Islandoftiki
OH...by the way...sorry for the crappy pics so far...

I dont have internet at home right now so I have to do all this on my iphone...

Hopefully I'll get it up and running soon...then I can use a decent camera.

Get the ProHDR app for your iphone, you'll be amazed how much better your pictures will be. Especially with the weird lighting on our tanks. I get better photos with that app than I can with my expensive camera. The HDR takes two pictures at two different exposure levels and combines them. Then you can tweak the tint, saturation, contrast and brightness to make the photo a lot closer to what we actually see with our eyes.

Get the ProHDR app for your iphone, you'll be amazed how much better your pictures will be. Especially with the weird lighting on our tanks. I get better photos with that app than I can with my expensive camera. The HDR takes two pictures at two different exposure levels and combines them. Then you can tweak the tint, saturation, contrast and brightness to make the photo a lot closer to what we actually see with our eyes.

Just tried this app...definitely makes a difference!

Thanks!!

Thanks for the compliments!

It's getting there...

Still trying to figure out what fish/invert to put in.

I like the pacific blue eye idea and actually have a local source for them.

They can get 2" long though...

I also thought about converting a handful of endlers to

saltwater for it...would be cool to see a "school" of fish in this setting.

I'm open to other suggestions...

Anyone?

Cheese-Lover
Thanks for the compliments!

It's getting there...

Still trying to figure out what fish/invert to put in.

I like the pacific blue eye idea and actually have a local source for them.

They can get 2" long though...

I also thought about converting a handful of endlers to

saltwater for it...would be cool to see a "school" of fish in this setting.

I'm open to other suggestions...

Anyone?

A pacific blue eyes, while cool it a little too big for your tank... And prefer to be kept in numbers.

I've had endlers in salt before and they don't seem to school for me... But you never know.

I know I'm looking at getting a species of goby for mine that grows to a max of 16mm.. (1 inch is 24.5mm) Try looking at obscure fish that people overlook. What do you get in your neck of the woods that people don't put in tanks?

• 2 weeks later...
This is quite possibly the coolest pico ever. I am seriously in love with this tank. :happy:

Thank you.

I love it,too...it's been alot of fun to put together!

This tank is beyond awesome! I've always wanted to do something similar in a 30 breeder. Now that i see it can be done, i just might have to! :D

This tank is beyond awesome! I've always wanted to do something similar in a 30 breeder. Now that i see it can be done, i just might have to! :D

Thanks!

It would probably be easier in a bigger tank...lol

Tank is commin along awsome. Its time for a shrimp and or fish :)

I know...right...lol

Thanks for the compliments all!

I did add a cuc a few weeks ago...3 dwarf ceriths,3 nerites and 1 nassarius snail.

I'm still looking for some fish/invert to feature in this tank. Just haven't found anything

interesting/unique/appropriate...also looking for more corals to fill it out.

Suggestions would be appreciated!

Not much else new...just maintenance.

Here's a random shot of the gorgonians...

551dd68e.jpg

I dont know if its been asked already, if it has i apologize, but since you have rock above water does it smell at all?

In your op it says photosynthetic gorg. Is the purple one in that picture photosynthetic? If so.what is it called and.where do i get one?

I dont know if its been asked already, if it has i apologize, but since you have rock above water does it smell at all?

It was dry rock to start out(above water)...there is no smell at all.

I think if it were to dry out again it would...but as long as it stays wet,there's nothing noticeable.

In your op it says photosynthetic gorg. Is the purple one in that picture photosynthetic? If so.what is it called and.where do i get one?

It was sold as a "purple cactus gorgonian." It seems to be photosynthetic...I only feed 1-2 times a week in my main tank and it has encrusted and growing. Polyps are out quite often, but not at any scheduled/predictable time.I don't know the official name for it, sorry.

Polyps are out quite often, but not at any scheduled/predictable time.

That sounds like a NPS. Not trying to start anything. It looks healthy. I was just under the impression that most photosynthetic gorgonians were more bland colored. And there polyps extended during the photo period. Either way thats a cool piece im gonna have to try gorgs before long.

That sounds like a NPS. Not trying to start anything. It looks healthy. I was just under the impression that most photosynthetic gorgonians were more bland colored. And there polyps extended during the photo period. Either way thats a cool piece im gonna have to try gorgs before long.

Don't worry,my feelings aren't hurt...lol

I should clarify though...

Polyps are in and out throughout the day/when lights are on.

I've seen it at all hours of the night/when lights are out and

polyps are not typically extended then.

I know that doesn't necessarily mean it's photosynthetic, but that's

why I lean towards that assumption.

Well, the "lagoon" is chugging along... I do weekly 1 gallon water changes(about 1/3 the tank volume).

Parameters have remained stable...

All corals are doing well...still no fish/inverts other than the CUC.

I'm "test driving" a few montis(digi,cap,encrusting) and some sympodium to see if I can keep them alive in this tank without too much extra maintenance(dosing)...all seems ok,so far. If they're thriving by July 1st,I'll keep them in/place them exactly where I want them.

22dd45a8.jpg

f236d889.jpg

c5e2cc78.jpg

Sympodium

5e38bfe1.jpg

Looks like it will be "supernatural"-ish...

53cef48c.jpg

Got all the SPS frags(brown when I got em) for $5/each a few weeks ago...

They're starting to color up. I think the digis will be 2 greens,an orange and a

purple,But time will tell...lol.

Archived