Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Vicki's 20G

phoenix91

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Corals arrived yesterday and one of the wysiwyg was slightly different/missing some orange polyps which is a bit disappointing since i only really ordered the frag for the orange zoas. Everything else looks good, had to pull some zoas eating nudi eggs off during the dip though... ergh!

Pics when i get them placed properly.

... since i only really ordered the frag for the orange zoas. Everything else looks good, had to pull some zoas eating nudi eggs off during the dip though... ergh!

Pics when i get them placed properly.

I know how you feel -- my only clump of zoas I brought home because there were these neon green ones among the pink -- all 4 green heads disappeared within a couple of weeks. Looking forward to pictures!

I'll get photos up today or tomorrow, they're looking good. Plus the store gave me credit for the missing zoas, they gave me half the original price in credit which was nice of them.

New corals, new photos :)

First, new purpleish/red zoas with yellow skirts. The frag was supposed to have some really bright orange polyps on too (which is really why i picked it) but they came off according to the store so i have store credit for them. Maybe i can get a nicer small colony of the orange ones at a later date.

photo238.jpg

Next, new acan. It too is purple with lighter bars on it. Couldn't get a nice shot from above because i'd just glued it down and it was pissed.

photo236.jpg

I also got some nice blue and yellow zoas but since i'd just glued them too they were all closed and annoyed. They'll be open again in no time. The colony is nice and i'm hoping it'll spread quickly.

The zoa garden is coming along nicely.

photo237.jpg

I haven't posted pictures of these zoas in a while; i got 3 polyps at a frag swap earlier in the year and they're doing great. They're pink with a purple tinge to the center.

photo235.jpg

Last, war coral after lights out trying to catch some dinner. It's growing well too, growing off the side of the plug.

photo239.jpg

No more corals for a while, i'm off saddle shopping tomorrow since my poor horses saddle doesn't fit him anymore. That should set me back a pretty penny so all my fun money will be gone for a while.

I will do. Hopefully i'll get the fitter out this week, a saddle i ordered to try is arriving tomorrow. It's all very exciting and hopefully will make a difference to my horses back.

I managed to get a better photo of my new acan

newacan.jpg

It's very pretty and much bigger than the other one.

• 2 weeks later...

Not much of an update really, just some photos. Sadly some of the new zoas i got melted away when the tank temp dropped a little low one night when it was surprisingly cool.

Majano's, a nice effective way of controlling gsp.

photo245.jpg

Hermits finally took to new shells and they're both cute and entertaining.

photo242.jpg

Pink zoas peaking over.

photo241.jpg

Saddle update: the fitter came out and i've found one i like but it's not 'mine' yet as we're still haggling over price. I'll post a photo when i remember to take one. Also for those interested in incredibly cute animals, a woman i met last weekend on a trail ride sent me photos of my horse Phoenix from when he was just 2 days old. He's 11 now so getting a photo at all is a real treat. It's a bit blurry but i don't mind.

photo19.jpg

Looking good! Post a pic of the saddle when you get it :D.

Bad blurry iphone pic:

newsaddle2.jpg

It's not paid for yet as i'm still haggling over the price. It's a zaldi dressage saddle.

So cool! Love the baby horse -- we live semi-rurally, so get to watch baby cows, goats, and the occasional horse grow up. It's much fun.

Tanks looks great -- loved the quip about the majanos! They are persistent suckers -- I usually have to zap them multiple times to finally kill them off.

Thanks. I don't get to see too many baby horses but was there when one of the mares at a barn i lived at had her foal; such a cutie!

I actually like majanos, i know i should want to kill them but they're useful. I tried to kill them off at the very beginning which actually made it worse since they moved and then grew new ones so now i leave them alone. I'm hoping i can get a line of them going to stop the gsp growing down the rock towards the acans.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

No real updates, corals are all growing and still looking good. The gsp got the better of the majanos and must have irritated/angered them as there are now 4 majanos trapped in the gsp forest. Up next the gsp will try and tackle the frogspawn. The flatworms are still persistent and always there, making things look bad. When i finally upgrade to something bigger i'm going to deal with this issues and dip all the rocks, corals, snails, pretty much everything i have before moving it all.

Photo dump time.

frog.jpg

I caught this paly feasting on a pellet, they seem to like them

hungrypaly.jpg

Monster bristleworm i thought i'd gotten rid of is still lurking. This guy is why i wear gloves when messing with the tank.

bristlemonster.jpg

Lizzy is a camera hog

lizzybegging.jpg

My zoa garden is coming along nicely, but the pulsing xenia has taken root again and is going nuts, it pulses away merrily though so at least it's pretty.

zoagarden.jpg

topdown.jpg

My devils hand looks like it's sprouted a baby (i'm not even sure if that's how they propagate(, but it looks a lot like it's come off the back of the coral and attached to the rock. devilbaby.jpg

Unusual things are growing in my tank and i'm not sure what they are.

shelfofminitrees.jpg Mini trees?

unknown.jpg No idea. (& a million snail babies)

• 4 weeks later...

It's been a while since i updated and i've just gotten back from visiting family; i spent 9 days in England in the freezing cold. My dad proved he is the best tank sitter ever, no casualties and everything looked great when i got back. He even managed to keep my new betta fish alive which was quite a surprise.

My friend took me to the WB studio tour to see the Harry Potter sets and it was fantastic. It totally made up for my brothers constant whining about me being there interrupting his life.

I brought back English germs and am now spreading them around to everyone i meet.

I'll update the fts when i get a chance.

It's been a while since i updated and i've just gotten back from visiting family; i spent 9 days in England in the freezing cold. My dad proved he is the best tank sitter ever, no casualties and everything looked great when i got back. He even managed to keep my new betta fish alive which was quite a surprise.

My friend took me to the WB studio tour to see the Harry Potter sets and it was fantastic. It totally made up for my brothers constant whining about me being there interrupting his life.

I brought back English germs and am now spreading them around to everyone i meet.

I'll update the fts when i get a chance.

Welcome back! Tell your brothers to stop whining or you'll send Sandy there way :P! The only time I've been in England, it was June -- and I kept following the sun around in Hyde Park b/c it was so freaking cold!

Tanks look great -- I love the picture of Lizzy at the top of the water.

Thanks. Oh don't worry some remnant of Sandy will be on it's way over soon enough. It was so cold, i mean it's colder here temp wise but for some reason it just seems colder there. I think because the sun hides so much it seems colder. Plus it snowed the first night i was there. I could have cried, i hate snow!

Thanks. I'm at the point where i need to frag the zoa garden because it's exploded slightly, not really sure how to go about it to be honest. I might get some local reefers involved and give them cheap/free frags for their efforts.

Thanks. I'm at the point where i need to frag the zoa garden because it's exploded slightly, not really sure how to go about it to be honest. I might get some local reefers involved and give them cheap/free frags for their efforts.

The organizers of the local reef club have tossed around the idea of having a "fragging 101" evening. I think it's a great idea and would happily give away coral to learn how to do it. Of course, the lfs might not feel the same!

My local reef people basically told me to gear up and be very careful with the zoas. I've got great safety equipment through work that i can use. One also said to put in rubble rock and let the corals grow onto it which apparently makes fragging easier so i might also give this a go. I might suggest to my local club about having a fragging 101 night, that could be fun.

I'm picking up some Tubs blues this weekend and should be getting a new huge bucket of salt and some new filters for my RO/DI from BRS in the mail tomorrow.

I think there's a local frag swap at the beginning of December i might go to, i'm on the look out for a torch coral to maybe put in the open corner i have.

I cut my first zoa frags today! *jazz hands*

It was very stressful and i thought i'd killed everything but hopefully i haven't. I'll see how they look tomorrow. If they're good then i have a small-ish colony of watermellon zoas with added pulsing xenia along for the ride also a small rock with 3 stalks of xenia and maybe 3 polyps of watermellon zoa :) I took 3 polyps for myself to keep and put them on a piece of rubble and i also got some tubs blues from a local gal and moved them to some rubble (the frag plug was huge and unnecessary)

I cut my first zoa frags today! *jazz hands*

Woo hoo! I am so impressed :bowdown:. I was gone for 3 days unexpectedly, and was just so relieved to find everything still alive and oh-so-glad to see the One-who-come-with-frozen-food!

Thanks! I was impressed with myself too. They're even starting to open so i think i did an okay job, so now i have stuff to sell. WOO!

Glad your tank survived the 3 day absence.

Coral growth progression.

Red monti cap & war coral bought at the same time, neither liked shipping.

DSCF2718.jpg

photo221.jpg

photo256-1.jpg

photo265.jpg

photo255.jpg

photo264.jpg

(The hair algae was taken care of earlier today)

Deleted User 3
No real updates, corals are all growing and still looking good. The gsp got the better of the majanos and must have irritated/angered them as there are now 4 majanos trapped in the gsp forest. Up next the gsp will try and tackle the frogspawn. The flatworms are still persistent and always there, making things look bad. When i finally upgrade to something bigger i'm going to deal with this issues and dip all the rocks, corals, snails, pretty much everything i have before moving it all.

Photo dump time.

frog.jpg

I caught this paly feasting on a pellet, they seem to like them

hungrypaly.jpg

Monster bristleworm i thought i'd gotten rid of is still lurking. This guy is why i wear gloves when messing with the tank.

bristlemonster.jpg

Lizzy is a camera hog

lizzybegging.jpg

My zoa garden is coming along nicely, but the pulsing xenia has taken root again and is going nuts, it pulses away merrily though so at least it's pretty.

zoagarden.jpg

topdown.jpg

My devils hand looks like it's sprouted a baby (i'm not even sure if that's how they propagate(, but it looks a lot like it's come off the back of the coral and attached to the rock. devilbaby.jpg

Unusual things are growing in my tank and i'm not sure what they are.

shelfofminitrees.jpg Mini trees?

unknown.jpg No idea. (& a million snail babies)

This last one looks like nudibranches.. some are bad so you might wanna get an ID.

Also my palys like to eat pellets too, it's fun to watch. Your tank looks cool, sucks about the majanos and such. I don't have anything like that, I have all sorts of hydroids that i can't get to go away and don't even try anymore. !

Archived