Top Shelf Aquatics

Scooter Dragonet

kel73

I was at petco getting some stuff for my other pets and I usually don't look at the saltwater section because its really terrible, but I did. I saw this pitiful skin and bones scooter dragonet, the skinniest I have ever seen. I couldn't walk away...so I bought it. I felt really stupid because I know they are so hard to keep alive and petco is just going to just buy more to replace the one I bought.

Anyways luckily the little guy eats frozen mysis and brine shrimp like a champ. hes still terribly skinny but Ive only had him for 2 weeks and his belly gets full everytime I feed him. My question is I've only been feeding 1-2 times a day and he prob needs more than that right? How many times a day should I feed? I *think* i see a change but I remember in my nutrition class a few years ago that if a human body is starved for a long enough time, at some point you cannot reverse the damage and the person will still die even with enough calories...Is this the same for fish?

jedimasterben
I was at petco getting some stuff for my other pets and I usually don't look at the saltwater section because its really terrible, but I did. I saw this pitiful skin and bones scooter dragonet, the skinniest I have ever seen. I couldn't walk away...so I bought it. I felt really stupid because I know they are so hard to keep alive and petco is just going to just buy more to replace the one I bought.

Anyways luckily the little guy eats frozen mysis and brine shrimp like a champ. hes still terribly skinny but Ive only had him for 2 weeks and his belly gets full everytime I feed him. My question is I've only been feeding 1-2 times a day and he prob needs more than that right? How many times a day should I feed? I *think* i see a change but I remember in my nutrition class a few years ago that if a human body is starved for a long enough time, at some point you cannot reverse the damage and the person will still die even with enough calories...Is this the same for fish?

Also if anyone in Sacramento wants the fish you can have him, guaranteed to eat frozen foods!

I feed mine every two days or so, but mine was fat and healthy when I got him. I'd imagine just once a day should be adequate. Does your tank have pods?

altolamprologus

3-4 times a day plus supplemental pods if you can would be the best schedule right now. Then you can back down to once a day once he's healthy

Yeah I see them around and my refugium has a bunch but its only an 8 gallon. I see the tiny mysid shrimp swim right by his face when I turn my pumps off and he wont get them. He's also the only fish in the tank, but I dont think theres enough pods for him in there anyways

3-4 times a day plus supplemental pods if you can would be the best schedule right now. Then you can back down to once a day once he's healthy

Thats good to know!! I can do once a day when hes healthy. I was thinking they needed to be fed multiple times a day always.

I don't know if its the same way for fish, but cats are like that. I got a hold of a kitten too late. He lived for 72 hours but died of liver failure :(

My husband actually discovered the scooters yesterday at the LFS. I think I know what the next fish he wants is... They are fun to watch.

Archived