Cultivated Reef

My 10 Gallon Nano Reef Build

ReeVo

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No problem, it works so much better than paint and looks better in the end.

The best part is, if you ever get tired of it...it's plastic, it will peel off if you really try.

-J

No problem, it works so much better than paint and looks better in the end.

The best part is, if you ever get tired of it...it's plastic, it will peel off if you really try.

-J

I noticed that it can peel when i was taking off the masking tape. It was peeling the the paint off the filter lol

I dont even know if its aquarium safe. Is it?

Did a bit of research and most say that you shouldn't put it in your tank until 2 weeks after you dipped.

But I still wouldn't risk that.

Today is the day I fill this bad boy up :)

I love this part. I will post pictures as soon as I am done aquascaping and finalizing the tank. I think we all know how long that takes lol

The day has come :)

I don’t know where to start lol

I guess I’ll start from the sand I chose for this setup.

I decided to use 15lbs of Tropic Eden’s Mini Reef Flakes. This really is the best sand, in my opinion, that I have ever used. It didn’t take me more than 10 minutes to rinse and the grain size is just amazing. I like how there is some pink in the sand. Gives it a sexy look lol

IMG_1462.jpg

Everything worked out great. The aquascape couldn’t have been any better. This is what I imagined for days.

I didn’t place the heater in the overflow because I don’t have a ATO yet. Don’t want the heater to run dry.

The InTank media basket is awesome. I have filter floss and Chemi-pure elite running for now. I will run purigen after my cycle has finished.

I’m using Dr. Tim’s One-and-Only nitrifying bacteria to cycle the tank. I dosed ammonia chloride to jump start the cycle. Dosed ammonia to 2ppm today and will test everyday till nitrites are at 0. Once that happens, I’m going to dose ammonia to 2ppm again and keep testing every day. I will keep doing this until I see ammonia and nitrite disappear within 24 hours.

That’s when I will put a piece of live rock and some live sand from my established reef tank into this tank.

Now for some pictures :)

IMG_1463.jpg

IMG_1464.jpg

IMG_1465.jpg

IMG_1466.jpg

IMG_1467.jpg

A Samsung Galaxy S2 and the ASUS PRIME lighting up the tank lmao

IMG_1468.jpg

IMG_1469.jpg

IMG_1470.jpg

IMG_1478.jpg

IMG_1479.jpg

IMG_1480.jpg

IMG_1482.jpg

Great build so far. The Modded AquaClear is awesome. Are you using the 2nd for more flow, carbon, gfo etc?? The large one is just a fuge?

Great build so far. The Modded AquaClear is awesome. Are you using the 2nd for more flow, carbon, gfo etc?? The large one is just a fuge?

Thanks bud!

I'm using the 2nd aquaclear (Aquaclear 20) for filter floss, chemi-pure elite and purigen. The flow helps out too lol

Great looking tank. Can't wait to see this one grow out.

Thank you.

I cant wait to start stocking the tank.

Man, that aquaclear looks professional!

Thanks bro :)

What did you make that overflow out of and where did you get the materials?

Thanks,

JD

Its made of arylic and its from my local plastics shop.

Wow using that overflow as a surface skimmer is genious. I may have to copy you. I'm still debating how I'm going to work my 20L, but I definitely need some surface skim action. My 10 builds up scum like crazy.

:bowdown:

Wow using that overflow as a surface skimmer is genious. I may have to copy you. I'm still debating how I'm going to work my 20L, but I definitely need some surface skim action. My 10 builds up scum like crazy.

:bowdown:

Thanks Paigee, and feel free to use the idea. It works flawlessly!

• 3 weeks later...
Any updates?? :)

Not much has changed because I'm still cycling.

Ran into a little problem with the cycle because nitrites were stuck at 1ppm for 2 weeks.

Since I'm using Dr Tim's One and Only and ammonia chloride to cycle the tank. The PH dropped and it causes the cycle to freeze. So I just did a small water change and added more ammonia. Tank is starting to cycle again.

Hopefully by next week or so I will start stocking the tank. Not rushing.

• 2 months later...

Sorry for late update guys. I've been busy.

I added a Black Ocellaris Clown on the 12th of July. My diatom bloom has almost died off. Just a bit left with no CUC. Don't want to add CUC until i know there is enough food in the tank, since my rocks and sand are dry.

I added 2 pieces of live rock to seed the sand bed and already see signs of worms in the sand bed. Also a huge bristle worm is in the rocks. Does't seem to be any of the problematic ones.

I added a small ball of cheato in the AC70 and it's tumbling very nicely in the chamber.

Still haven't gotten a light yet. Just using flood light for diatom bloom for now.

Overflow Review.

Pros: Skims the surface like it was intended. I haven't seen any surface gunk at all.

Oxygenates the water

Cons: I have to top off 2 times a day which I don't mind.

Planing on get a ATO soon.

Parameters:

PH: 8.0-8.2

Ammonia: 0

Nitrite: 0

Nitrate: 15ppm

Salinity: 1.025

I will post pictures soon.

• 1 month later...

Update!

Sorry I haven't posted any updates lately guys but here's the latest.

I just received my JBJ ATO and AquaLifter pump, but the switch bracket is too big to fit in the overflow. So I custom made one from acrylic :D

I love DIYs!

It's going to be held with a magnet on the little tab I left on the bottom of the bracket.

IMG_1640.jpg

IMG_1641.jpg

IMG_1642.jpg

IMG_1644.jpg

IMG_1645.jpg

IMG_1646.jpg

IMG_1647.jpg

IMG_1649.jpg

One of the best AC70 mods I've ever seen. I'm seriously inspired; might do this for a 2nd tank near my bed.

And as for magnets--I just assume none of them are safe. I seal them into a couple of layers of drilled acrylic with more acrylic and some silicone or acrylic solvent depending on what I have on-hand. Generally if the water can't get to the item that is not aquarium-safe, then the item becomes aquarium-safe.

Somebody here may be able to recommend some that are known to be ok, though.

Best 10 gallon diy build ive ever seen. Superb diy work, its all so smoothe and clean. Very slick my friend, you know your tank will be bad ass, when its sexy before its stocked :happy:

One of the best AC70 mods I've ever seen. I'm seriously inspired; might do this for a 2nd tank near my bed.

And as for magnets--I just assume none of them are safe. I seal them into a couple of layers of drilled acrylic with more acrylic and some silicone or acrylic solvent depending on what I have on-hand. Generally if the water can't get to the item that is not aquarium-safe, then the item becomes aquarium-safe.

Somebody here may be able to recommend some that are known to be ok, though.

Thanks man :)

I might just do that if I don't have any other option. Might just stick a magnet to the switch holder and surround it with acrylic. Thanks for the idea :D

Best 10 gallon diy build ive ever seen. Superb diy work, its all so smoothe and clean. Very slick my friend, you know your tank will be bad ass, when its sexy before its stocked :happy:

Thanks a lot bud :D

I'm setting up a ten gallon tank too. What is the reason for the overflow with a canister filter? Also I want to copy your idea of the second aquaclear. That is pure genius. Also is it absolutely necessary to mod the AC70 or can it just be a refugium by inserting chaeto and adding a light?

Archived