Cultivated Reef

My 10 Gallon Nano Reef Build

ReeVo

December 1, 2012

IMG_1712.jpg

September 20, 2012

IMG_1674_zpsa6a6e99c.jpg

Hello everyone, I'm new here and I would like to share my new build.

I've always been intrigued by nano reefs and how beautiful they can be in such a small environment.

So I’ve done a lot of reading and searching and decided to build one. I know what I'm getting myself into and I’m accepting the challenge. This is something that will surely push me towards being a bigger reef hobbyist.

As for my first nano, I’m going to start with a standard 10 gallon aquarium (20x10x12) and custom build an overflow chamber into the left/rear corner. I will not be using a sump in this build but will be using a modded Aquaclear 70 refugium and a Aquaclear 20 with an InTank Media Basket ( http://shop.mediabaskets.com/AquaClear-20-...sket-AC20MR.htm ).

I believe getting rid of surface scum is just another step to having a successful aquarium. The overflow will also be keeping the DT at one water level but also means I have to be careful not run the overflow dry from evaporation.

The modded Aquaclear 70 refugium will be placed in the overflow section. As for the Acuaclear 20 will be placed on the opposite side of the aquarium. I’m going to run cheato and rubble rock in the Aquaclear 70 and Chemi-Pure Elite, Purigen, and a polyfilter in the Aquaclear 20.

I have also built a baffle in the overflow to hold another piece of polyfilter to collect all the scum off the surface. It will, somewhat, decrease the water sloshing sound when water has evaporated.

I have bought 10 pounds of Bulk Reef Supply’s “Reef Saver Rock”, but will probably not use all of it. Don’t really know how I’m going to aquascape it, but I’m going to take my time.

I will be seeding the aquarium with a piece of rock and some sand from my 1.5 year old reef.

But enough of me talking. Time to post some pictures :)

IMG_1439-1.jpg

IMG_1438-1.jpg

IMG_1437-1.jpg

IMG_1435-1.jpg

IMG_1433-1.jpg

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What a great start! You should take the rim off though. :);)

No! AGA tanks don't look good de-rimmed imo and the glass is too thin on the standard 10 gallon.

Very nice overflow :)

Very nice, can't wait to see you fill-er-up and get some corals in there!!

I cant wait either.

I'm just waiting till this 48 hour mark hits just so i can leak test the overflow.

I really want to go with LEDs on this build but dont know which one.

I'm stuck between RapidLeds PAR38 or Kessils 150w 15,000K pendant.

Jacob042426
I cant wait either.

I'm just waiting till this 48 hour mark hits just so i can leak test the overflow.

I really want to go with LEDs on this build but dont know which one.

I'm stuck between RapidLeds PAR38 or Kessils 150w 15,000K pendant.

Go with a kessil! They are insane!

No! AGA tanks don't look good de-rimmed imo and the glass is too thin on the standard 10 gallon.

Very nice overflow :)

Ooohh..

I did not know that, sorry..l

Kessil would be pretty sweet i think :)

Yeah I've de-rimmed a 2.5, 5.5, 10, 20L, and a 29, the first three look crappy and they are pretty dang sharp. 20L and up look alright if you also trim the silicone on the sides.

nice start, i'm diggin that overflow. looks clean.

Thanks Flexin5

Solid start :) Interesting to see a 10 drilled and everything, can't wait to see the end result!

The tank will not be drilled. I'm using the overflow as a surface skimmer for my Aquaclear 70.

Go with a kessil! They are insane!

I just wish It wasn't so expensive but I love that it doesnt do the whole disco ball effect.

Rimless tanks also dont do well with HOB if they were designed with a rim.

Ya I wouldn't trust this tank being rimless. Feels like the glass would give it from the weight of the filters.

I just recieved 10 pounds eco-saver rock from BRS today and I'm still waiting on my sand. I bought Tropic Eden's Miniflakes (best sand ever) from premium aquatics. Tracking number says it'll be here Friday.

I've already modded my Aquaclear 70 and is ready to go.

Media basket from InTank arrived Friday for the Aquaclear 20. I love the workmanship that went into this basket. I really recommend this basket to anyone who wants to run filter floss, purigen, carbon, or any other media. Awesome product.

In the mean time, while i wait for my sand, I'm mixing salt (Red Sea Coral Pro).

Still contemplating on which light I should buy :headwallblue:

I want to try something different.

I will post pictures soon

Finally finished modding the Aquaclear 70.

I put a piece of 1/4" acrylic as the baffle. The basket it came with worked as good template.

The light I made came from a thread I had read last week and I thought it was pretty clever.

http://mini-reef.blogspot.com/2008/08/diy-...ht-fixture.html

I liked the concept but it wasn’t as clean as I like it to be. So I did what he did and used the same LEDs, but I used 3/8” tinted acrylic I had left over from my sump build. Made a small box to house the leds, cut the lid and put in a piece of 1/8” clear acrylic so light isn’t dimmed from the green lid of the Aquaclear.

Overall, I think it came out pretty well

IMG_1441.jpg

IMG_1442.jpg

IMG_1443.jpg

IMG_1444.jpg

IMG_1445.jpg

IMG_1446.jpg

IMG_1447.jpg

I would say paint the whole thing black to keep it from being a night light at night...

Also, when you paint it, use plastidip instead of spray paint for plastic. When did my AC110, I did spray paint first...and never could get it how I wanted it. Then I went back with Plastidip and it was perfect the 2nd coat.

I would say paint the whole thing black to keep it from being a night light at night...

Also, when you paint it, use plastidip instead of spray paint for plastic. When did my AC110, I did spray paint first...and never could get it how I wanted it. Then I went back with Plastidip and it was perfect the 2nd coat.

That's a great idea.

Thanks onebaldman lol

I just went out and bought some plastidip at Lowes. I want to spray it today but its too windy :(

buddythelion

Looking great, and it seems like you have a lot of ideas up your sleeves. Following along and go for the kessil 15k! You won't regret it.

Looks like a good start. BRS rock is the best.

It really is.

Great AquaClear 70 mod !

Thanks bud :)

Looking great, and it seems like you have a lot of ideas up your sleeves. Following along and go for the kessil 15k! You won't regret it.

I got a few lol

I'm going to wait on the kessil. Looks like they have a dimmable version coming out soon.

Just painted my Aquaclear 70 with plastidip (Thanks Onebaldman for the idea). It came out better than I though.

Here's a few pictures with the lid on and off.

IMG_1450.jpg

IMG_1451.jpg

IMG_1452.jpg

IMG_1453.jpg

IMG_1454.jpg

IMG_1455.jpg

IMG_1456.jpg

IMG_1457.jpg

IMG_1458.jpg

IMG_1460.jpg

Archived