Cultivated Reef

Zoanthid identification

M&C

I bought these guys from my LFS and haven't been able to ID either of them (ignore the eagle eye at the top of pic #2). Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Taken under my old t5s

DSCN3415.jpg

Taken under my new LEDs

IMG_0142.jpg

altolamprologus

The lower ones have just been named Waterfall Montay by boxboy. The top ones I have as well and have not found an ID. Check coralpedia (zoaid.com) and if you don't find it, make up a name.

BTW where did you get those? My LFS has them both together like that

The lower ones have just been named Waterfall Montay by boxboy. The top ones I have as well and have not found an ID. Check coralpedia (zoaid.com) and if you don't find it, make up a name.

Mine dont look the same as the 2 pics on here. Ill upload a lot more of mine tomorrow.

My LFS is called Pet Arcade. I see you're from the bay area too. Any chance you buy from the same store?

altolamprologus
My LFS is called Pet Arcade. I see you're from the bay area too. Any chance you buy from the same store?

I've never heard of them, but I guess they buy corals from the same suppliers as my LFS. What city is it in?

edit: nevermind, googled it

@boxboy: They look the same to me. Differences in coloration can easily be attributed to lighting

I've never heard of them, but I guess they buy corals from the same suppliers as my LFS. What city is it in?

San Rafael. I live in the north bay

altolamprologus
San Rafael. I live in the north bay

That's why I've never heard of them. I don't go to the north bay very often. I'm slightly north of san jose

That's why I've never heard of them. I don't go to the north bay very often. I'm slightly north of san jose

Where is your LFS? Truth be told, mine isn't the greatest. It's not that their stock is low quality, they just don't have a huge selection. Mostly some common mushrooms, less colorful zoanthids, and nems. Not many LPS, and no SPS. If there is a really excellent store down in that area then let me know. I wouldn't mind making a day trip out of it if I knew there was a quality LFS in your area.

Top ones look like "fire and ice." Or a close relative.

Unless they morphed to a different color, I don't think the ones I have there are blue enough.

Could be a light thing. I've seen fire and ice dull out under certain lighting and then come back under stronger. Or I could be completely wrong! :lol:

Could be a light thing. I've seen fire and ice dull out under certain lighting and then come back under stronger. Or I could be completely wrong! :lol:

Yeah that's true. My LFS had them under low lighting. I had them under low lighting for a little while too until I recently switched to LEDs. Maybe the blue will come back out

buddythelion

Yeah, what LFS is that? I'm from south SJ.

altolamprologus
Where is your LFS? Truth be told, mine isn't the greatest. It's not that their stock is low quality, they just don't have a huge selection. Mostly some common mushrooms, less colorful zoanthids, and nems. Not many LPS, and no SPS. If there is a really excellent store down in that area then let me know. I wouldn't mind making a day trip out of it if I knew there was a quality LFS in your area.

My main one is Atlantis aquarium in union city (cause I work there lol). Good for high end acros, but we get other stuff in too. My default LFS is Neptune aquatics in Milpitas. They're considered the #1 LFS in the bay. The owner flys down to LA almost every week and hand picks his corals and ships them back up here. I also go to Aquarium concepts in dublin. They're better for freshwater than salt, but they get in some really cool inverts.

Yeah, what LFS is that? I'm from south SJ.

SJ is pretty big so it might be a bit of drive for you

+1 fire and ice

If OP's zoas are the same as mine (highly likely), the red ones have a purple center rather than blue like in fire and ice

Archived