Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Making protein skimmer. How should I adjust it?

travisman1994

travisman1994

My father and I made a protein skimmer. We are wondering how we should adjust it to work the most efficiently. We used a pcv pipe and put an end cap on one end and a collection cup at the top. We put an output and an input. Input is the top and the output is near the bottom. I put the wooden air stone through the top and ran it to the bottom just above the output. Now I am wondering how much water i should pump through it and how high I should have the skimmer. I need advice plz and thank you. I wll take pics if u need them.

Water flow should be about 1 to 2 times total system volume per hour. If your pump is too strong, you can dial it in by putting a tee between the pump and skimmer and putting a ball valve on the unconnected part of the tee. That way, you can control what goes into the skimmer without putting backpressure on the pump. Honestly, once you have pump, you might as well just make it a venturi skimmer, since most smaller pumps come with venturi fittings standard. Hope that helps!

Water flow should be about 1 to 2 times total system volume per hour. If your pump is too strong, you can dial it in by putting a tee between the pump and skimmer and putting a ball valve on the unconnected part of the tee. That way, you can control what goes into the skimmer without putting backpressure on the pump. Honestly, once you have pump, you might as well just make it a venturi skimmer, since most smaller pumps come with venturi fittings standard. Hope that helps!

if i remember correctly, countercurrent skimmers are more efficient than venturi due to increased contact time. Bubbles go up, water goes down.

Archived