Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

My new angler, feeding question

Disturbed22

Disturbed22

So I was at petco the other day and saw that they are selling a angler about 3in big. I decided to snatch him up because they dont come around often. The guy at the petco says he only eats live. So I have a idea of buying like 10 mollies at a time and put them in a 6 gallon bucket of saltwater and feed them marine food. Since it will be nearly impossible to get him to eat frozen foods is this ok as my anglers main diet? If not what should I feed him?

altolamprologus
So I was at petco the other day and saw that they are selling a angler about 3in big. I decided to snatch him up because they dont come around often. The guy at the petco says he only eats live. So I have a idea of buying like 10 mollies at a time and put them in a 6 gallon bucket of saltwater and feed them marine food. Since it will be nearly impossible to get him to eat frozen foods is this ok as my anglers main diet? If not what should I feed him?

Post a pic so I can identify the species.

Mollies are ok for now, but you need to get him eating frozen. It's pretty easy if you actually try. Freshwater and brackish fish lack certain essential fatty acids that marine fish need to ingest and studies have shown that feeding the fish marine foods does nothing to improve the nutrition of the fish. Find some live ghost shrimp (the freshwater kind) and gut load them with marine pellets. They have pretty big stomachs so they act as a vector for nutritious food. Buy some damsels or chomis and feed him those too. That's the best live food, although it does pose a risk of introducing ich. You can hold them in quarantine for a couple weeks before feeding to reduce the risk.

I feed my angler freshwater fish from time to time to give him variety so it's not bad to do so. You just don't want them to be the main diet. Also, keep the mollies in full freshwater before feeding them to the angler. That way there's no possible way they can transmit disease to the angler since anglers are very susceptible to ich.

longbeachstateofmind

They do eat live, but youd have to mess around with it to get it to eat frozen food. Another thing you could do is buy goldfishes and guppies and feed it that?

altolamprologus
They do eat live, but youd have to mess around with it to get it to eat frozen food. Another thing you could do is buy goldfishes and guppies and feed it that?

OMG no goldfish! That's like eating donuts for every meal every day

altolamprologus
The guy at petco said its an assorted angler. And what do you mean by "gut load"

Lol "assorted angler" means they have no idea what species it is. Please post a pic, some species will stay the size yours is now, some will grow bigger than a football.

Gut loading is feeding nutritious food to the live feeder animals that the angler would normally not eat. So for example, an angler is never going to eat pellets, but you can feed pellets to a shrimp then feed the shrimp to the angler so the angler gets some of the nutrition from the pellets.

Disturbed22
Lol "assorted angler" means they have no idea what species it is. Please post a pic, some species will stay the size yours is now, some will grow bigger than a football.

Gut loading is feeding nutritious food to the live feeder animals that the angler would normally not eat. So for example, an angler is never going to eat pellets, but you can feed pellets to a shrimp then feed the shrimp to the angler so the angler gets some of the nutrition from the pellets.

I will TRY to post a pic when I get home. Thanks for the help. I have marine flakes will that be good to feed the ghost shrimp?

altolamprologus
I will TRY to post a pic when I get home. Thanks for the help. I have marine flakes will that be good to feed the ghost shrimp?

Yep that'll be perfect. Feed them as much as they will eat 15-20 minutes before feeding the angler. I like to keep ghost shrimp in a bucket so I can buy a dozen at a time and keep them until I need them.

Disturbed22
Yep that'll be perfect. Feed them as much as they will eat 15-20 minutes before feeding the angler. I like to keep ghost shrimp in a bucket so I can buy a dozen at a time and keep them until I need them.

ok?? still a bit confused. Should I continue to feed the mollies to the angler and if so how often.

Thanks

Disturbed22
ok?? still a bit confused. Should I continue to feed the mollies to the angler and if so how often.

Thanks

sorry, you already said it was ok to continue to feed the mollies to the angler for a little bit. But how ofter per week?

altolamprologus
sorry, you already said it was ok to continue to feed the mollies to the angler for a little bit. But how ofter per week?

A good start would be to feed a molly, then 4 days later feed a couple ghost shrimp, then 3 days later feed another molly. So one molly and 2-3 shrimp per week. If the angler doesn't seem hungry at the next feeding, skip it and put more time between feedings. If he seems extremely hungry, feed more often or feed more at one time.

Disturbed22

Here are some pics, please try to identify him. I know the pics aren't the best

dscn0936i.jpg

Shot at 2012-03-26

dscn0937f.jpg

Shot at 2012-03-26

dscn0938zs.jpg

Shot at 2012-03-26

Disturbed22
Good. They grow to 4-6 inches and can change colors

So is $50 a good price for him? I really hope he changes colors :wub: hes just a plain brown

altolamprologus
So is $50 a good price for him? I really hope he changes colors :wub: hes just a plain brown

Yeah 50 is pretty good for his size. They don't change colors like a chameleon, it's just to match surroundings. So if you have a lot of green, he might turn green

Disturbed22
Yeah 50 is pretty good for his size. They don't change colors like a chameleon, it's just to match surroundings. So if you have a lot of green, he might turn green

Thank you so much for all your help. If I try to make my tank more colorful for him to change colors about how long do you think it would take?

altolamprologus
Thank you so much for all your help. If I try to make my tank more colorful for him to change colors about how long do you think it would take?

Honestly I have no idea. Each fish is different

altolamprologus
What is the smallest angler,and what is the minimum tank size?

Antennaris randalli, though I doubt you'll ever find one for sale. Smallest one commonly available is Antennarius maculatus. Minimum tank size for A maculatus would probably be about 10 gallons. The main concern is bioload

Archived